Farewell to the Lynx

Ade

Don’t know if this has been posted yet, if it has I apologise. Today marks the day the Lynx is withdrawn from service. I’ve just had four AAC Lynx’s (Lynxi?) buzz past the house on their way to join up with the RN at Yeovilton for a farewell flight. I think they also fly to the Helicopter museum in Weston and then up the Thames in London. 

Another Cold War type that I’ve always loved goes out of service. I dread the day when it’s the Tornado.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Yep we were told that the 5 would be over Middle Wallop between 0915-0922 but that dropped to 4. They arrived with a Flypast the came back around to the hover in front of the Museum, then lifted off to depart for Upavon. Loads of people watching outside and inside the fence.

steve.

It appears that you’re only 15 mins up the road from me Speedy. I saw them following the A303 on the way to Yeovilton. 

I caught them as they tooled up the river in London, led by a Chinook.  It had gone down the river a little while before, giving the impression that it was getting impatient and had gone to look for them.  It was nice to see a proper Balbo for a change.

Sad saw them also at VL ....i was driving round the perri track at the time.

Simple and robust...wildcat has a lot too live up to ....shame that theres not a lot of money around atm to fit the mods.

Still they aint getting replaced so more capability gaps.

Anyway Wildcat = fat Lynx = mk10 :whistle:

I'm sorry to see this, I used to see them in the 80s around my cousins farm, east of Andover. I see the fly past ones were all AH.9s, are these the only ones left now? To my mind, they're the best looking of them all.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

10 hours ago, Ade said:

It appears that you’re only 15 mins up the road from me Speedy. I saw them following the A303 on the way to Yeovilton. 

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm sorry to see this, I used to see them in the 80s around my cousins farm, east of Andover. I see the fly past ones were all AH.9s, are these the only ones left now? To my mind, they're the best looking of them all.

Steve.

I work at Wallop, all remaining 7 are coming here but their fate is yet to be decided, broken up or sold to another country. There were 8 left but one clipped some foliage whilst on a fast roping exercise. They may come in via JARTS on the low loaders or authorised for one flight only?

• Like 1

Thanks speedy, I like the look of these, it would be good to see them get a new lease of life.

I'd love to model one but guess it would involve scratching one from an AH.7?

I was at Wallop with my cousins hubby in 2015 during a quick visit to the UK, loved the museum there, not a lot of aerial activity more is the pity. 

Steve.

The news said they were going to fly around to all the bases associated with the Lynx, but obviously Dishforth was a bit far and missed out. Always surprised that given the large Army presence in North Yorkshire and beyond that there is now no permanent AAC presence in the area. RAF Chinooks are regular flyovers on their way up and down, but Army stuff seems much less common

It's sad to see them going, I've always been a fan of the Lynx since I first saw one. Was glad to find a few Airfix AHs a while ago and grabbed them all with the intention of building a few different ones. Wonder what the chances are of having new kits now that the type is gone

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

Does anyone know of any plans to place any of the Lynx in museums? I've emailed The museum of army flying after I heard some rumours on another forum, unfortunately they won't be taking anymore Lynx as they don't have space,

harry

MAF already has a development Mk1 and a bitza Mk 7 Lynx and the reason their is no room for a Mk9 is that they need the space they have for an Apache, A109 and Islander that they already have in store. The planning for the move is the reason I'm building a model of every aircraft the museum has on display or planned for display. The models are to be used to work out the various aircraft moves. Getting the Huey out from behind the Hadrian is going to be tight which is why my model of the Hadrian has a removeable rear fuselage.

• Like 2

I'll try and find out but most of the Lynxs' lined up out of the hangar are for sale. From memory I think 2 are ear marked for gate guards. The 9a are in Hangar 2 being processed now. There are 20+ Lynx yet to be processed over the next 18 months, mk8 are in H2 and a mixed bag at other another airfield.

Edited by speedy
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2018 at 12:00 PM, Britman said:

Any 48th  conversion kits about?

If you want to do the Reliant version then 1/48 and 1/72 Spitfire wheels are the way to go according to @Lynx7 I understand some of the struts were Wessex items. Hopefully one will be somewhere accessible so we can get detail shots of the underside mountings especially.

THESE photos on PrimePortal will help somewhat.

Kevin's photos show AH.9As which were converted from the surviving airframes a while back.

28 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

If you want to do the Reliant version then 1/48 and 1/72 Spitfire wheels are the way to go according to @Lynx7 I understand some of the struts were Wessex items. Hopefully one will be somewhere accessible so we can get detail shots of the underside mountings especially.

THESE photos on PrimePortal will help somewhat.

Kevin's photos show AH.9As which were converted from the surviving airframes a while back.

Thanks for that. I  forgot about the early conversions as it was the exhaust system that was troubling me! The undercart should not cause too much of a headache.

On 02/02/2018 at 10:27, SleeperService said:

Will these pics do?

901.JPG

902.JPG

903.JPG

904.JPG

905.JPG

906.JPG

907.JPG

908.JPG

909.JPG

910.JPG

911.JPG