JGSDF TYPE 10 TANK - Tamiya 1/48 - update 04/04/18

Well I have finally got around to getting some more done on this project. I'm trying to get everything to a suitable point for painting and then I am still intending to try and do a video of how I paint with flat brushes - I may get to a suitable point on Sunday but then it will depend on the light quality - where I do my modelling is next to a south facing window.

Anyway this is where I am at with the assembling of parts:

39862640194_5f15777b3d_b.jpg

26701459578_d9622092a0_b.jpg

39862639454_44f95913f7_b.jpg

26701458908_d4dabed058_b.jpg

Most of it has gone together pretty well although some bits have been slightly more fiddly than normal for a 1/48 Tamiya AFV kit. I still need to do some prep work for getting the running gear ready for painting. You'll see in a couple of places I have left some bits of sprue in place. This is to give me something to hold while I am brush painting these parts, This is the kind of prep I need to so with the running gear.

More tomorrow I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11

On 02/03/2018 at 14:41, modelling minion said:

More nice progress Stix, I look forward to your painting video.

Thank you Craig. Shouldn't be too long now until I have a go at the video. 

On 02/03/2018 at 20:36, Hewy said:

the detail in the hull and turret's going to be right up your street, i foresee exellent weathering opportunities  ahead

Glynn 

Hi Glynn - yes it does seem to have a lot of surface detail for a 1/48 kit and will hopefully show up nicely under whatever I do over it.

13 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

:Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

:rofl:

3 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Agreed an instructional video on how you achieve your brush applied results will be most welcome.

Hopefully in the near future.

Right I have got this kit up to a point where I can get the paint on.....and I promise I will film the painting stages when I start painting. I'm currently trying to finish off my Sherman project in the M3/M4 GB so it may not be this weekend as I'd hoped. The best light where do my modelling is in the morning - currently the sun is shining way too brightly over my modelling table. It took me longer than hoped to get the final bits and pieces ready for painting.

To get it ready I have cut all of the parts off the main sprues only leaving bits of sprue in place on most parts to give me something to hold when I do the painting - you should be able to see this in the photos below. I also put together any sub-assemblies that I think will be easier to paint separately rather than them being attached to the main parts: 

25741343337_8951c6025f_b.jpg

26740174268_8aee422b56_b.jpg

25741347397_4dfd2b6ee7_b.jpg

26740173278_a924d8dac2_b.jpg

40569580982_6f37f19564_b.jpg

One of the sub-assemblies was the turret basket - the instructions say it needs to be assembled in stages onto the back of the turret but with careful work it is possible to make it off-turret. This should make the turret and the basket itself easier to paint:

25741344027_ba9e4754b6_b.jpg

I also did a bit of test fitting of the hull and turret:

40611795221_755f97637c_b.jpg

26740172288_d12c63e93b_b.jpg

25741342507_d5e21bd790_b.jpg

25741344787_98bbda7e75_b.jpg

So........painting and video next!! :tease:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Today I managed to get around to doing some painting. Yesterday was mostly spent finishing off my Sherman project in the M3/M4 GB. First job on this project today was getting paint on the lower hull, upper hull and turret. I also painted up all the other parts which needed to be Dark Earth. The first bit of painting was a little slow because I was attempting to film what I do when I paint! I have managed to start a video and have included some stills from it below.

These are the initial parts I painted and are the ones I used in the video:

38940567760_4d39711e1b_b.jpg

Closer view of the painted turret:

40040885314_cb5ba2204d_b.jpg

Closer view of the painted upper hull:

25879905027_69a9a14021_b.jpg

Wheels, drive sprockets and suspension arms:

38940566380_549407def0_b.jpg

Because the paint is similar in colour to the plastic I included one photo to show the difference - unpainted one on the right:

39856133435_01b41dfc15_b.jpg

Later on and off camera I painted all the other parts needing to be Dark Earth:

40040882604_acf6918521_b.jpg

All the above parts were painted with Revell Aqua Dark Earth which was thinned with water and applied using a flat brush.

Watch out for the video coming soon! A couple of stills from the video:

39856132675_33a969fb1d_b.jpg

39856133225_6beb0351ce_b.jpg

40040878634_a8bea36c4c_b.jpg

I haven’t ever made a video like this before so it's been a bit of a learning curve. It currently stands at about 50 minutes long and, as you can imagine, it's a bit dull in places. However, the problem is I'm not sure what to edit out so I don't lose the flow of the process. I suppose I could leave it as it is and hope people know where the fast forward, mute and stop buttons are!!

The video will have to wait for it's big release next weekend as I'm not going to get chance to finish it before then.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Aye up Stix,

That's coming on a treat. Can't wait to see the video when it's completed and ready for the premier next week! Got the :drink: and:popcorn: ready.....

Regards 

Steve 

On 11/03/2018 at 18:26, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix,

That's coming on a treat. Can't wait to see the video when it's completed and ready for the premier next week! Got the :drink: and:popcorn: ready.....

Regards 

Steve 

Thank you very much Steve. I have been editing it a bit and it's still 40 minutes long! I think it will be something to watch if you find you struggle to get to sleep!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

Well this weekend I have made some progress on this project and completed the video about how I paint the initial coats with flat brushes - and it is on YouTube!! - details in the post below this one.

First off I got the second thinned coat of Revell's Dark Earth applies with flat brushes (more details in the video - now I'm just showing off!!) - upper hull:

40825462922_bda2f95b5a_b.jpg

40158601164_178cd0bb3a_b.jpg

Turret:

39973055285_4dbf4c7cd2_b.jpg

40158600724_f7126cfca3_b.jpg

Wheels and drive sprockets:

40825462522_cb60c01315_b.jpg

40825462382_749e46a3ec_b.jpg

Various parts that needed to be painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite:

40825464542_e3f523397f_b.jpg

40825464012_9b03de39b1_b.jpg

39057045740_8fa60a7593_b.jpg

I was intending to show the track painting in the video but my iPad ran out of storage space while I was filming. By the end of modelling time though I had got a couple layers of paint on all the parts.

I also decided that two layers were enough - the finish looked pretty good so I moved onto the weathering stages today.

Tracks dry-brushed with Humbrol's Gunmetal and and Revell's Steel:

40835272112_8149b5d03a_b.jpg

The one longer length on the left shows how they looked all before the dry-brushing was applied.

All the lower hull parts were given a thinned wash of Revell's Gunship Grey followed by targeted washes of Revell's Anthracite. Once dry all these parts were dry-brushed with Humbrols Desert Yellow - which seemed like a good match for lighter Dark Earth.

The detail so far on the rear of the lower hull:

40835271702_61dcc84450_b.jpg

The gun barrel:

40835271532_6a31f49a3d_b.jpg

Some of the running gear:

40835271332_cef60dd2c9_b.jpg

My intention at the moment is next to get all the parts for the lower hull weathered and then assembled.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Yesterday I spent a lot of time finishing off the video I have been promising for a while about how I paint with flat brushes. It took me longer to finish than expected and there were a few hiccups along the way.

It certainly isn't perfect but it's done. For a start t's a bit too long - I filmed me painting a few bits for over an hour and a half but then had the problem of deciding how and what to edit. I got it down to about 50 minutes - but that is still too long.

Second - the first half suffers from it being the first time I had done a video like this - so you cannot always see what I am doing - the second half - when I'm doing the second coat - is better because I moved the camera nearer having reviewed the first half.

It's a bit quiet too - it sounds fine on the iPad I recorded it on but seems too quiet on my laptop. If you want to use them - the close captions are not a bad match. Now this may be a good thing so you don't hear me rambling on too much!

If you do decide to watch any of it please make sure you know where the Fast Forward, Mute and Stop buttons are!

If people are interested I will post some videos of how I do some of the other painting and weathering I do.

Finally - my suggestion is just dip in and out - life's to short! ;)

EDIT - The link to the video can now be found at the bottom of my signature below each of my posts.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
no links to you tube channels
  • Like 9

Aye up Stix,

Great video.  Have to say you have far more patience than I do to brush paint a full kit! The second half of the video had a better camera view as you said in your post above. B) Stick with it and do the drybrushing and washes section next and especially your weathering process. All in all a :goodjob:  and I've seen far worse vids on the t'interweb!

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix,

Great video.  Have to say you have far more patience than I do to brush paint a full kit! The second half of the video had a better camera view as you said in your post above. B) Stick with it and do the drybrushing and washes section next and especially your weathering process. All in all a :goodjob:  and I've seen far worse vids on the t'interweb!

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve. That is very kind of you to say. I think I can do better. It was the first video I have done like this and it was the first time I had used iMovie. I've learnt from my mistakes and can hopefully move forward. I also had lots of issues with space for saving it and I'm not going to go into the 4 hours it took me to sort out uploading it. iMovie and Youtube do not talk to each other!!

With regards the painting of the whole kit - in my case it's the only way it's going to get painted and, as I mentioned, I enjoy the process when I have good paint. It's almost therapeutic!

Hope you have had a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Nice job on the video Stix, a great effort for your first attempt. It's good to see the technique that you use to achieve your excellent brush finish, and I am sure that once you start to go through the next stages you will have the video making down to a fine art. I look forward to 'Episode 2' of the series.

Move over Sam Goldwyn, Stix is coming through. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

I've only got a few minutes into the video so far Stix and already two of my long held beliefs about brush painting have been totally demolished!

1. you can't put an aqueous paint onto plastic without a primer (clearly you can)
  2. you shouldn't over-brush (I couldn't believe how energetically you were brushing that first coat :hypnotised:)

I'm looking forward to continuing my education shortly...

Cliff

• Like 1

Excellent video Stix,there's nothing like a bit of brush painting to relax with,much as I love my airbrush I still need to part brush my kit's!

• Thanks 1

On 19/03/2018 at 09:49, nimrod54 said:

Nice job on the video Stix, a great effort for your first attempt. It's good to see the technique that you use to achieve your excellent brush finish, and I am sure that once you start to go through the next stages you will have the video making down to a fine art. I look forward to 'Episode 2' of the series.

Move over Sam Goldwyn, Stix is coming through. :winkgrin:

:rofl: Hi John and thank you very much. I have been doing more painting and weathering over the weekend and I did film some bits and pieces........now got to edit it but hopefully later this week I'll be able to post a (shorter) video showing what I do when I do the initial weathering stages that can be seen in the photos below.

On 19/03/2018 at 11:19, CliffB said:

I've only got a few minutes into the video so far Stix and already two of my long held beliefs about brush painting have been totally demolished!

1. you can't put an aqueous paint onto plastic without a primer (clearly you can)
  2. you shouldn't over-brush (I couldn't believe how energetically you were brushing that first coat :hypnotised:)

I'm looking forward to continuing my education shortly...

Cliff

Hi Cliff. The first few minutes is probably enough! ;) As to your observations - I never use primer and find the painted surface, once it's dry, to be reasonable resiliant to scratching - only getting damaged if I catch it reasonably seriosly with something hard and sharp. I do make sure I wash the kits well with warm soapy water to make sure I remove any grease and try find a mix of water and paint that covers thinly without pulling away from the surface as I paint. Overbrushing is part, I think, of what gives my painted finish its smooth appearance - it allows me to smooth out any areas where I feel the paint is pooling or too thick. As with anything - it's a matter of practicing on scrap or kits which are not to valuable or important.

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Love the video stix, so it isn't ju ju magic then,(i thought it was)  i hope you'll post up the dry brushing and weathering methods you use, thanks

Glynn 

Thank you very much Glynn. Not magic, just a little dull in reality! ;)

I'm hoping to get the next video, which will be about how I do the intial weathering, completed and posted later this week. I basically filmed bits of what I did on this kit over the weekend - the photos of which can be seen below.

16 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent video Stix,there's nothing like a bit of brush painting to relax with,much as I love my airbrush I still need to part brush my kit's!

Hi Steve. Thank you and you are right - the brushing process is quite relaxing (well as long as it's going right!)

This weekend I got started on the initial weathering. First off I gave the parts an overall wash of very, very thinned (with water) Revell's Aqua Gunship Grey. This was applied with a soft old brush. Hopefully you can see the effects in the photos below - it looks like a dusty grey finish - I use it to tone down the initial coat:

27121361248_0dfba5e49d_b.jpg

27121360668_840817fbfa_b.jpg

40099299835_d51cfee50d_b.jpg

27121360168_022d62b61e_b.jpg

Once dry I then did what I call a targetted Anthracite wash. Using a very fine pointed paint brush I use very thinned Revell's Anthracite to paint in and around all the details - on the larger grills I used a flat brush:

41005057901_1540d4bc38_b.jpg

27134283158_692562267f_b.jpg

41005057331_c23bacdd9f_b.jpg

In the next set of four photos I first show the parts after having the targetted Anthracite wash and then the next photo shows the effects of the dry-brushing - in this case I used Humbrol's Desert Yellow:

Upper hull:

27134282848_b256e1665d_b.jpg

41005055761_9299d12894_b.jpg

Turret:

41005056361_edd5ef86ab_b.jpg

41005055121_3248366cf2_b.jpg

Wheels after dry-brushing:

27134281578_705e06f3c1_b.jpg

A few views at the same stage but with the turret in place:

27134281138_f6ff446784_b.jpg

26134183877_91dc8d80ca_b.jpg

39196055700_4ee0b05a9c_b.jpg

26134184187_ae20c3089d_b.jpg

As I mentioned above - I did film various bits and pieces while doing the above weathering so hopefully, later this week, I will post another video on YouTube.

Kind regards,

Stix

EDIT - The link to the first painting with Flat Brushes video can now be found at the bottom of my signature - below each of my posts.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

Aye up Stix,

Now that is looking rather splendid! The anthracite wash has really made all the grill details pop. Look forward to seeing how you do this on film B)

Regards 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix,

Now that is looking rather splendid! The anthracite wash has really made all the grill details pop. Look forward to seeing how you do this on film B)

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve. Thank you, although a lot of credit must go to Tamiya on this one - the level of surface moulding for a 1/48 kit if pretty good and, because it is nice and crisply moulded, the detail shows up really well under the washes and dry-brushing. Hopefully the video should still be out showing how I do this later this week or at the weekend.

I have done a bit of work on the wheels. They have had the tyres painted with thinned Revell's Anthracite, which I applied with a small pointed paint brush, and then I gave the tyre areas a very thinned wash of Revell's Gunship Grey to tone them down a little. These were all then fitted on to the lower hull:

39224935250_4f944b3bc6_b.jpg

40992290742_f26a331490_b.jpg

40992290632_1f68681d66_b.jpg

40992290252_edbf04a793_b.jpg

Now I have to mention at this point that I normally do the weathering and adding of mud products to the sides of the lower hull before adding the wheels - it's far easier normally. With this kit, however, I decided not to bother because this is how much of the wheels and lower hull sides that can be seen once the upper hull with the side skirts is in place:

40992290102_f017504377_b.jpg

40992289732_3557bebc9e_b.jpg

40325473504_ab706f1fa4_b.jpg

40325472154_6412758645_b.jpg

I have also started doing some weathering on the tracks but no photos yet. More later this week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Hi Corsairfoxfouruncle and thank you very much. If you do decide to try painting in this way make sure you practice first on something not important - scrap or a cheaper kit. It took me a few goes before it turned out like it does now.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

I decided, having looked at photos of the actual Type 10, that this 1/48 version was missing the mesh inside the rear turret storage basket. Tamiya provide some for their larger version but not for this one. There seems to be a variety of mesh used on the real ones from quite fine to more robust - I suppose it will depend on what is being carried in the basket. I've had to go for a more robust version. I was struggling to think of what I could use to represent the mesh but luckily Mrs PlaStix remembered I had previously purchased some cooking splatter guards for this type of thing:

26241143497_6a13922413_b.jpg

I cut the mesh from the frame and then painted a section of it with thinned Revell’s Anthracite:

39303986900_0486543f4e_b.jpg

I measured the space inside the turret basket, made some paper templates and then cut out the necessary pieces using scissors:

26241142617_4d92e9fb72_b.jpg

39303985620_44bf0d8ac1_b.jpg

I then fixed it in place using CA glue:

39303985300_5bff5dc75b_b.jpg

39303984990_0c5d1f156d_b.jpg

Also today I have been adding some initial weathering on the tracks so that I can, hopefully, get them assembled later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

22 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Brilliant build, loving the composite effect of all the paint layers plus the added detail in excellent.

Thank you very much Mark, that’s very kind of you to say. Like with other 1/48 Tamiya AFV kits, this is a fun build.

Yesterday and today has mostly been spent working on the tracks. First off, after the Anthracite layer and dry-brushing with Humbrol’s Gunmetal and Revell’s Steel metallics, I started by applying a very thinned wash of Humbrol's Desert Yellow - I realise in these photo it’s difficult to see the effects:

40403555614_36b8357b20_b.jpg

The Desert Yellow was followed by slight amounts of very thinned Humbrol Dark Earth - it again doesn’t show up well in the photo but can be seen okay in real life:

40403555324_30b11c06aa_b.jpg

Finally I did some more dry brushing with Gunmetal and Steel:

40403557864_6568698f05_b.jpg

40403556884_3f3a937b42_b.jpg

40403556284_9f24957e59_b.jpg

Once dry I got them all attached and I have to say, they went on really well:

27260767218_b4a9b9bbf5_b.jpg

40422904254_dc21cf523a_b.jpg

26262570967_01797e6e3e_b.jpg

26262570617_f8672d8067_b.jpg

26262570237_1b6332aaf8_b.jpg

26262569917_abcb6f969e_b.jpg

27260765888_63db623c81_b.jpg

It’s worth looking at these tracks now because, once the upper hull is on, there is very little of them on view:

26262569387_6f5ac9949d_b.jpg

40422902034_cbe215c750_b.jpg

26262568607_f4a2670304_b.jpg

26262568387_bb1f24d994_b.jpg

26262568137_12abbce281_b.jpg

Next step will be getting the camouflage painted on the upper parts.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4