Eduard Fokker E.V

Eduard's now OOP 1/48 Fokker E.V, built mostly OOB save for the gorgeous Master turned brass MG cooling jackets and barrels. Lovely little kit, although getting the wing straight & level was a PITA.

Constructive criticism welcome!

UjadJqn.jpg?1

KzhmIPs.jpg?1

S7v5nY7.jpg?1

864FkJN.jpg?1

dBtXV9X.jpg?1

0Z87XX8.jpg?1

IbIhz2J.jpg?1

Cheers,

Tony Bell

• Like 36

Beautiful model BUT.....

The monotone olive green wing was fairly comprehensively debunked some years ago, thanks to the efforts of researchers like the late Dan-San Abbot. It was actually stained in 4 colours. The recent 1/72 kit by

Arma Hobby is the first to acknowledge the latest research and is also the first to correctly depict the chordwise wing panel lines and the prominent leather crash padding on the rear of the the centre cut-out. All previous kits have copied Ian Stair's incorrect Windsock Datafile drawings. Check out Arma's research here: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2017/12/21/fokkers-wing/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Beautiful model BUT.....

The monotone olive green wing was fairly comprehensively debunked some years ago, thanks to the efforts of researchers like the late Dan-San Abbot. It was actually stained in 4 colours. The recent 1/72 kit by

Arma Hobby is the first to acknowledge the latest research and is also the first to correctly depict the chordwise wing panel lines and the prominent leather crash padding on the rear of the the centre cut-out. All previous kits have copied Ian Stair's incorrect Windsock Datafile drawings. Check out Arma's research here: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2017/12/21/fokkers-wing/

Thanks for the feedback, Roger. I hadn't seen the Arma research before now.

I did consider doing a streaky finish on the wing, but the only clear photos I could find depicting the streaking were the ones of the Polish machines in post-war service. All of the photos of wartime German machines were inconclusive at best, and considering how evident the streaking is in photos of the Dr.I, I figured that if the E.V did have streaking it would have been more obvious. That one photo on Arma's page of the wing being stress tested does show the streaking pretty clearly though, doesn't it?

As for the crash pad, those appear only to have featured on the Polish machines. All the photos of German E.V's that I came across that clearly showed the cut-out definitely did not have it.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

Tony,

FWIW the TVAL repros have the crash padding and they are claimed to be exact replicas, from a technical standpoint. But surprisingly, they stuck with the solid green wing, for the rather flimsy reason given....

I wonder if they weren't painted that way for practical reasons, as the solid paint job will protect the wood from weathering/degradation far better than the stained finish.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=928.0

The understanding of German WW1 colours in particular, is constantly evolving as more research is done. 

Regards, Roger

• Like 1

I absolutely love this kit so I'm going to shop around at the swap meets to see if I can find it. Great job on the wooden prop. If you don't mind, can you share some info on how you painted it ? Thanks again for posting.            Bob H.