Airix Red Arrows Gnat Colour Query

johnd

Morning all!

I notice that the Airfix Red Arrows Gnat starter set (A55105) has Humbrol 19 for the main colour. However, I read that in their last few seasons the Gnats had 'Red Arrows Red' (Humbrol 238?) paintwork. As the markings in the kit appear to be for a later example (1978/9), which paint should I be using?

Thanks,

John.

That's what I wanted to hear, to be honest. I fancied painting that one in Post Office red and if I get round to buying a Hawk, doing that one in that funny orangey colour Arrow Red (Hu238), for contrast.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

John - you may find this thread of interest:-

I'm still not sure what red Humbrol 238 is supposed to represent - I used it on my Gnat and thought it looked fine as Cherry/ PO red. The Xtracrylix Red Arrows red (Signal Red) is certainly a very orangey colour meant for the Hawks.

Pat

• Like 1

That was my understanding: Hu19 is Post Office/Cherry Red, Hu238 is Red Arrows Red. Originally I thought the former was for Gnats and the latter for Hawks. Then I read that Red Arrows Red was used on Gnats (probably in the thread linked above) and now I just don't know. The safest thing, I suppose, would be to find some markings for an early Gnat. Are there any?

John.

..and Hu174 is Signal Red which should be the colour for Hawks!!!

https://www.humbrol.com/us-en/red-arrows-gnat-1-48.html

Airfix are recommending 238 for the 1/48th Gnat above. But perhaps they also thought that they were painted Signal Red in '77 rather than PO Red?? But then why have both Hu174 and Hu238 if they are supposed to be the same colour??

For decals the sheet you want is by S & M Models who did a sheet where you can model pretty much any Gnat T1. The 72nd sheet is showing out of stock on their website but you could email Mel who runs it and see when it will be reprinted. And then you could do a yellow one as well!

Pat

• Like 1

HUnbrol 174 is meant to be BSc537 signal red which is the trainer red used for example on the jet provost. Post office red/cherry red which as I said humbrol 19 is meant to be is BSc538 . There’s a problem though a as red arrows red is humbrol 238 but also BSc537 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

I've dug out both Hu174 and 238 and they are definitely different shades. I would say 238 is more red and less orange than 174 but lacks the deep red hue I would associate with PO red. I did spray my Gnat with 238 and weirdly it looks much darker on the model than in the pot but possibly I sprayed over grey primer which may have affected the tone. Not sure any of that helps, John!!

Pat

• Thanks 1

Hi

The Gnats did not have the same colour as the Hawks, the HU 238 Red Arrows Red paint is for the Hawks only.

Gnats you can use HU 19 this should be fine.

BS381C:538 "Post Office Red" (Gnats) and 537 Signal Red (Hawks)

Ref the Yellow Jacks

Contrary to popular belief, the "infamous black-finned XR992" was NOT the "Leader's aircraft" - the black fin was simply for a conspicuity /visibility trial for a few weeks in early July 1964 and during that time, it was flown in different positions within the formation. The black paint was then removed and it never appeared like that in a "public" display. And Airfix got the fin as all black it was not some bits are Yellow.

Gary and others and I spent many hours doing that book, if you are doing a Reds A/C you should get hold of a copy it is a big help in getting the colours and other details right.

Paul

• Like 2

Hi John,

believe the publication refered to was a VERY good addition to the IPMS magazine a few years ago.

First mention was made by Truro Model Builder ;) No.2 post in this thread.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...