Hawker Hunter XF442

Hunter XF442 was the aircraft flown between the towers of Tower Bridge on the 5th April 1968 in protest of the lack of celebrations for the RAF's 50th anniversary. 

Kit is the 1/48 Italeri/Academy FGA.9 with resin cockpit (which turned out to be a waste of time) and Aeroclub wheels.  I didn't bother with changing the tail pipe.

Decals are from the Xtradecal 1 Sqn set, with the serials changed to the correct ones, as those in the set are wrong.

39637622801_8184533e02_z.jpg20180111_211240 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

24769380087_23bcba533e_z.jpg20180111_211249 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

24769377297_3b16cebc67_z.jpg20180111_211318 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

25766280668_c6d9c5625f_z.jpg20180111_211306 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

25766280338_6341216def_z.jpg20180111_211256 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Paul - I'm planning a 1/72 build of the same aircraft later in the year so I've bookmarked this, thanks :)

May I suggest reading "Hunter Boys", as the first chapter is by Alan Pollock, the pilot who carried out this feat. He describes the whole thing in detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Devilfish said:

May I suggest reading "Hunter Boys", as the first chapter is by Alan Pollock, the pilot who carried out this feat. He describes the whole thing in detail.

Wonder if anyone is planning a repeat of this for the 100th anniversary?   Beating up parliament would be a good thing , the need it!

Selwyn

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Wonder if anyone is planning a repeat of this for the 100th anniversary?   Beating up parliament would be a good thing , the need it!

Selwyn

Pollock does state that he'll be standing on Tower Bridge on the 1st April this year....Maybe he's waiting to see if his "performance" is repeated by a Typhoon?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

Lovely model. Wouldn't it be disgraceful if someone decided to put a Tornado through Tower Bridge this year...

Not sure many pilots would have the nerve or courage  to do that these days with the society we live in today, everything being politically correct and we now hve to consider Health & Safety.  That moment of inspiration cost Alan Pollock his career - to quote " Upon landing he was arrested and later invalided out of the RAF on medical grounds which avoided a court martial "

He knew he would loose his commision after Tower Bridge, so proceeded to do "other things" with his Hunter on that flight...................heres the link for what actually happened that day:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_Tower_Bridge_incident

And person account of flight plan of Tower bridge incident  by Flt Lt Alan Pollack as per published in Flypast Magazine

http://www.rafjever.org/4sqnper004.htm

• Like 2