Another High Planes Models delta, the Mirage twin seater finished as a Dagger B for the retirement of the Delta's from Argentine service using Modelmaker Decals,

not my greatest model by any means but here it is.

Willy

25817383268_63e8bb1f65_c.jpg_IMG1416_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

38792051305_e3f37c20ec_c.jpg_IMG1417_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

39658590082_39c8fc332a_c.jpg_IMG1421_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 27

Hello, I just want to ask a question:

When you look at an aircraft (a real one, not a model !) are you able to see the panel lines as they appear on this model?

I wouldn't be wicked but I am thinking that model building is going slowly but surely to models that are overdone, over painted, over weathered

and over what you want and in a very near future they won't be able to re create or represent the real thing.

As an example, I live in Alsace, (east of France, near the German boarder), and we had an airbase in Meyenheim ;I went there a lot of times and saw

a lot of Mirages, but I was never able to see their panel lines.

I can remember a very smooth aircraft and no gadgets around.

But that's only MY idea.

Everybody can do what he wants.

Good night to everyone. Polo.

Happy modelling to everybody.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, polo1112 said:

When you look at an aircraft (a real one, not a model !) are you able to see the panel lines as they appear on this model?

I wouldn't be wicked but I am thinking that model building is going slowly but surely to models that are overdone, over painted, over weathered

and over what you want and in a very near future they won't be able to re create or represent the real thing.

As an example, I live in Alsace, (east of France, near the German boarder), and we had an airbase in Meyenheim ;I went there a lot of times and saw

a lot of Mirages, but I was never able to see their panel lines.

But that's only MY idea.

Everybody can do what he wants.

Good night to everyone. Polo.

Happy modelling to everybody.

So you are not a fan of this effort, I admit the panel lines are overdone and on the early HPM mouldings the panel lines and quite heavy anyway and after 

the wash had been applied they were a bit more noticible than I would have liked.

Yes I must admit, I'm not at all a fan neither of heavy panel lines, nor of overdone weathering.

But I think something is worse (not seen a lot on Britmodeller), that is people who systematic make a pre shading

with very large and irregular black "caterpillars" on every panel line, and a very heavy post shading with all the panels made darker

at the edges and lighter in the middle. I think that has nothing to see, or to do with the realism of a model.

Sometimes more is to much.

Sincerely. Polo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Yes I must admit, I'm not at all a fan neither of heavy panel lines, nor of overdone weathering.

But I think something is worse (not seen a lot on Britmodeller), that is people who systematic make a pre shading

with very large and irregular black "caterpillars" on every panel line, and a very heavy post shading with all the panels made darker

at the edges and lighter in the middle. I think that has nothing to see, or to do with the realism of a model.

Sincerely. Polo.

Thanks for the comments, don't worry I won't be posting anymore builds, I'll just stick to admiring the work of other people.

Willy

31 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Thanks for the comments, don't worry I won't be posting anymore builds, I'll just stick to admiring the work of other people.

Willy

I for one would like to see more of your builds, don't let a bit of constructive criticism put you off. As someone who has been constuctively criticised I look on it as part of the learning curve & try to apply what I've learned to my next build. That's one of the great things about this forum.

Pete

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Willy

Please do post more pics of your models here. There is a wider debate among many on what level of weathering is correct for any given subject but perhaps opening such a debate on someone's RFI thread is not strictly the best thing to do. If you like your Mirage model, that's the most important thing. I think it looks pretty sharp. It is in an interesting scheme. Keep em' coming.

BM.

1 hour ago, polo1112 said:

Sincerely. Polo.

Check out some of my RFIs on here, I never do panel lines or weathering as I haven't got the skill. And similar to you I never really notice them on real aircraft much.

55 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Willy

Definitely keep posting Willy, it's great to see other's builds, and learn from them. I think the Mirage looks great, personally I don't have the ability to do weathering and things, so it's good to see work from those who do.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, polo1112 said:

...When you look at an aircraft (a real one, not a model !) are you able to see the panel lines as they appear on this model?

... saw a lot of Mirages, but I was never able to see their panel lines.

But that's only MY idea.

Yes! I too fail to see panel lines as well defined as are sometimes depicted. Aircraft are generally precision instruments, and air resistance matters, so they do tend to be smooth.

As for spotting lines and panels on photographs - and do bear with me here -  I have seen a caption on one particular item of railway rolling stock asserting that its doors were made of plywood, when a long, hard look reveals the plank margins; with wooden planks, not as smooth as metal, nor as carefully shaped at the edges.*

On aircraft 'au naturel', so to speak, panels are visible, I think due to differences in the polarisation of reflected light.

*In case anyone was wondering, said photographs were flooded in sunlight and the wood appeared have been of high quality and the work possibly fresh.

Edited by Chillidragon

A nice build. I agree about panel lining but there is a place for it. It isn't just about replicating reality. Panel lining accentuates features but it needs to be done sympathetically, and not always with a dark colour. This one, for example, would have benefitted from a grey just a fraction darker than the background colour. In my view! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, polo1112 said:

Ok, but if that`s the reason for your comment, then you`re not trying to help him improve some skill set, but attempting to discourage him from following some perceived trend you don`t happen to like. The way you`re phrasing it you`d think there is some dangerous phenomenon here at foot that needs to be nipped in the bud. I`m thinking though that unless such a trend (if there really is one - as opposed to people doing what they can with various resources and abilities) is forced on people through some sort of ... peer pressure then it`s simply what makes people happy (or, short of that, content). Nothing wrong with that imo.

Now, I don`t want it to appear that I`m overcompensating, but Willy, I like your Mirage! :)

• Like 2

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 7:33 PM, dolphin38 said:

Another High Planes Models delta, the Mirage twin seater finished as a Dagger B for the retirement of the Delta's from Argentine service using Modelmaker Decals,

not my greatest model by any means but here it is.

Willy

25817383268_63e8bb1f65_c.jpg_IMG1416_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

38792051305_e3f37c20ec_c.jpg_IMG1417_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

39658590082_39c8fc332a_c.jpg_IMG1421_1 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Nice one - the Mirage is one of the best looking jet fighter ever - and you nailed it.

And hey, I wouldn't read Polo's comments as he not wants to see any more of your stuff. He just used your model as an example of a certain way of presenting/building models he thinks is often overdone. His opinion on a general topic - no to put down your model.

Continue building them as you like and continue showing them here - please.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by WildeSau75
  • Like 1

Hello Dolphin and all of you modellers.

I would tell you that I didn't want to hurt anybody.

I just wanted to say my opinion by expressing what I think is constructive or positive criticism.

I think we all here were adults and not children in a play ground.

If I failed, I want to apologise.

So sorry for this storm in a glass water. Polo.

• Like 3

"Constructive or positive criticism" hints at someone trying to make something "better". [BTW: Who can definitely say what is wrong with somebody's free time efforts in plastic?]

Simply stating one's preferences on a subject doesn't quite qualify by itself as "constructive"... anything.

If anybody can provide actual tips/ techniques of how one can better portray the idea of a well worn grey Argentinian Mirage in 1/72, other than a dark/ black wash, then that would be something many of us here would benefit from.

Nice double-seater you have there!

If you still read this: any problems in handling the Model-Maker decals? I thought of giving them a try myself.

Keep them coming, if you will :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Niki

Edited by niki

22 hours ago, niki said:

"Constructive or positive criticism" hints at someone trying to make something "better". [BTW: Who can definitely say what is wrong with somebody's free time efforts in plastic?]

Simply stating one's preferences on a subject doesn't quite qualify by itself as "constructive"... anything.

If anybody can provide actual tips/ techniques of how one can better portray the idea of a well worn grey Argentinian Mirage in 1/72, other than a dark/ black wash, then that would be something many of us here would benefit from.

Nice double-seater you have there!

If you still read this: any problems in handling the Model-Maker decals? I thought of giving them a try myself.

Keep them coming, if you will :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Niki

The Modelmaker details were quite good, in register and good colour density, just make sure they get a good soak to release them from the backing paper.

23 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

The Modelmaker details were quite good, in register and good colour density, just make sure they get a good soak to release them from the backing paper.

Many thanks!

No excuse for me now not to get cracking on a couple of those farewell schemes...