1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster, Dambusters

Hello all,

Just finished this new tool Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III last night. I did it as ED927, AJ-E, which was lost near Haldern in Germany before hitting its target, no survivors.

I quite liked this kit, even though it came with a warped nose on one fuselage half, which was corrected with some hot water. One thing I don't like though, are the wingtip lights and windows on top of the fuselage, Airfix should have done those in clear plastic. Top colours are Humbrol 29 and 163, bottom is a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black and XF-17 Sea Blue. The exhaust streaks were done with pastels. I painted the Upkeep mine in some rusty red color (Revell 83), because from what I've read about it, most were still in their red oxyde primer when they were used.

There might be many errors on it, but I don't claim to be an expert on Lancaster, and I mostly just followed the instructions.

9KNpAvy.jpg

GYqXeF4.jpg

VzAuJJl.jpg

v4tVviX.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope you like it.

Pete

• Like 48

Really like it! My daughter was given one of these to build, which I'm saving until she has a little more experience. We also have a family connection to the Dambusters as her great granddad worked on the spotlights for the Lancs. Like many of my models, we're going to frame it to wall hang once complete, along with a picture of her great granddad and some graphics of the dams raid.

I'll have to show her this one when she gets home later today.

Great job Pete!  Really nice paint job!  I hope I can ask you some tips on your camo scheme.  :yes:  I was going to do a similar subject on the dam busters, but I wasn't sure to purchase this one or the Hasegawa kit.  Does anyone out there have any experience with the Hasegawa Kit?

Excellent job on the old girl! Good to see you did the outermost exhaust pattern correctly, which because of the wing dihedral, was less heavy on top than the other exhausts (if this makes any sense; as you did it properly, I'm guessing it does).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1