1/48 - de Havilland DH.88 Comet by MikroMir - released

Homebee

SBS Model makes a very good and well detailed resin kit in 1/72nd scale of this one.

Perhaps the advantage of Mikro-Mir would be that it is in injected media? and the engines if they are sufficiently detailed?

Mikro-Mir kits are nice, I have built a few (just recently the Miles Aerovan), but the level of detail, if ok, is not near close to this resin.

40862892781_0d85716c27_b.jpg

39053135320_1a63d971ec_b.jpg

40862891891_cf1730ce58_b.jpg

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Moa said:

SBS Model makes a very good and well detailed resin kit in 1/72nd scale of this one.

Perhaps the advantage of Mikro-Mir would be that it is in injected media? and the engines if they are sufficiently detailed?

Mikro-Mir kits are nice, I have built a few (just recently the Miles Aerovan), but the level of detail, if ok, is not near close to this resin.

....And AZ is also doing an injection kit (see thread below). Can the market really stand THREE Comet kits in a short period ??  Judging by the CAD pictures the Mikro-Mir one will be perhaps the most accurate.... The SBS kits are beautiful, but they didn't get the wing aerofoil shape quite correct (for a rivet-counter like me :-) ).

2 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

....And AZ is also doing an injection kit (see thread below). Can the market really stand THREE Comet kits in a short period ??  Judging by the CAD pictures the Mikro-Mir one will be perhaps the most accurate.... The SBS kits are beautiful, but they didn't get the wing aerofoil shape quite correct (for a rivet-counter like me :-) ).

If you have knowledge of the DH.88 I'm certain Mikro-Mir would be delighted to hear from you. They also make very good use of the information sent to them which is very good practice that should, in my opinion, be encouraged.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

If you have knowledge of the DH.88 I'm certain Mikro-Mir would be delighted to hear from you. They also make very good use of the information sent to them which is very good practice that should, in my opinion, be encouraged.

It's common knowledge that the DH88 used an RAF 34 aerofoil, which should have its maximum thickness at around 30% of the chord, rather than the SBS kit which has the maximum thickness just behind the leading edge, at around 5% chord.....  (I do know that the Ukrainian companies are receptive to information as I've helped Dora Models with some).

• Like 1

Thorough research of every detail is very time consuming.

That's why kit makers resort to a lot of estimations, guesses and assumptions.

Like they think all wings have the same airfoils ...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

It's common knowledge that the DH88 used an RAF 34 aerofoil, which should have its maximum thickness at around 30% of the chord, rather than the SBS kit which has the maximum thickness just behind the leading edge, at around 5% chord.....  (I do know that the Ukrainian companies are receptive to information as I've helped Dora Models with some).

I wasn't being funny with my comment although it might read that way. I'm glad you read it in the spirit your last sentence indicates. 

27 minutes ago, occa said:

Thorough research of every detail is very time consuming.

That's why kit makers resort to a lot of estimations, guesses and assumptions.

Like they think all wings have the same airfoils ...

I agree with you however kit makers are now starting to realise that accuracy sells extra product, will stay acceptable for longer, and enhance their reputation. Just in the last few days we've seen that with Jan Polc of KP/AZ, Eugen of Dora Wings, and Praded from MikroMir (I think that's a pseudonym) all asking for help from people who know their stuff. I know that all of them incorporate the feedback into their releases which is brilliant.

Mind you Jan has now got all Farley Fruitbat enthusiasts excited over a hinted at future release. As Fruitbats tend to have other areas of expertise secondary to the mighty Fruitbat it could backfire if it doesn't appear, or Heaven Forbid, the leather crew lounge seats are russet when it was established several years ago that they were green. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, SleeperService said:

I agree with you however kit makers are now starting to realise that accuracy sells extra product, will stay acceptable for longer, and enhance their reputation. Just in the last few days we've seen that with Jan Polc of KP/AZ, Eugen of Dora Wings, and Praded from MikroMir (I think that's a pseudonym) all asking for help from people who know their stuff. I know that all of them incorporate the feedback into their releases which is brilliant.

Mind you Jan has now got all Farley Fruitbat enthusiasts excited over a hinted at future release. As Fruitbats tend to have other areas of expertise secondary to the mighty Fruitbat it could backfire if it doesn't appear, or Heaven Forbid, the leather crew lounge seats are russet when it was established several years ago that they were green. :D

Agreed, it's a good development.

Actually my post was made to wake up the rest of the kit makers :D

And hahaha about the the rest you wrote

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Have to agree, I am interested in this kit.  It is a beautiful aircraft and deserves a good 1/48 scale kit.  I tend to avoid resin kits, not because of the resin so much but the price generally seems exorbitant.  So the injection kit I expect will be a bit more reasonable.  And I think they will sell more kits which is always good for the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...