Hi everyone

Lets hope I've understood the qualification rules correctly and this....

DSCN0662

.... with the number 10 on the bow gets me an entry, otherwise it ain't gonna get built any time soon!

Craig

• Like 5

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome

As some of you might have already guessed, this was originally retrieved from the stash in preparation for the Airfix GB. But, as is often the case, a log-jam in the calendar around that time would have left it vulnerable to a non-finish - and that would have been a shame, so its been brought forward a few months ready for my best shot.

It was tooled in 1975, according to the date stamped inside the keel, but this is a way more recent Hornby re-issue from 5 or 6 years ago, however the contents are totally 'period' - lots of parts, lots of 'flash', heavy joint lines and the almost compulsory loose parts in the bag - lets hope I've got them all!

DSCN0663

Everything's a little 'chunky' and 'over-engineered', but given the limitations of the technology and the target buyer - 11 or 12 year old boys wanting something to play with in the bath, its totally understandable - but it still looks like it'll be fun!

Craig

• Like 5

5 hours ago, specky said:

11 or 12 year old boys wanting something to play with in the bath

...and this will be your big chance too!  Rrrrrrr...bblbblbblbbl...Starte die Torpedos!:D

I forget how many pieces a boat can have...looks like a fun build.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Good grief, I really cannot believe its nearly a month since I last updated - sorry about that!

As you may have noticed from the sprue shot, the hull builds up from 5 parts: a one piece keel (for the idiot proof waterline option), 2 sides, a deck and the transom (flat panel at the stern). In this example, both sides were quite badly warped, which only became apparent once they were removed from the sprue. But by carefully gluing 2 or 3 inches at a time, with plenty of gussets across the joint to stop it from opening, its actually come together way better than I expected. But now, its size becomes apparent and so I've decided to mount it on an MDF, or something similar, base.

Additional skins were added above & below the false (waterline) floor for strength, holes drilled, some short lengths of aluminium tube cut, nuts and bolts sourced and, as if by magic.....

DSCN0680

.... here it is temporarily mounted on a scabby off-cut of plywood, with a jar of Tamiya paint for scale, although I think this camera angle is rather deceptive - its much bigger in reality and the step from side to keel is actually nowhere near as bad as it looks under this harsh lighting!

Much more regular up-dates to come

Craig

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...