Corsairs Bronco build

Hello all ... This should be a quick build im about 1/2 done with the fuselage/wings. Heres todays progress report. First is where i am with sanding and polishing. iInfmS6.jpg

GvWml8G.jpg

K1qmfAM.jpg

Next is what i finished yesterday, the stub wings and fuselage connection. ttxsOx3.jpg

⬆️ Port & Starboard views ⬇️

4Cge2wj.jpg

Finally the lower fusalage, this shows the major weakspot of this kit. You have to add weight to the nose but its visible throught the nose gear doors. 😠 ⬇️EoPIxaT.jpg

The final work on the pit minus control column and painted seatbelts. ⬇️ This includes the painted wire looms and hoses on the rt. sides of the seats. VPHJHp2.jpg

w1c69cw.jpg

Last couple of photo’s is current work from today. I glued the wing on to the fuselage and you can see where i added the plastic strip to fill the gap. WoOfhOa.jpg

MwJ2xKd.jpg

XLx0iH5.jpg

F8AHG2Y.jpg

I havent been bored though ... Ive been catching up on an F6F Hellcat & Mosquito Mk.VI that i started last fall. Heres a couple teasers for the Hellcat. 

VFoDs0a.jpg

uOs2EAl.jpg

Its based on this photo 🔺

Rh1cSTF.jpg

which Eduard used for a recent release in 1/72nd scale. I didn't have the exact markings but i had something close enough in the spares. Enough for today, please have a great modelling day.

Dennis  

🔺* not sure if this is public record so i will state the ownership rights belong to others. I only use them for informational purposes. If i have to i will remove them. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Hello everybody ... Todays update brings us to a complete airplane. I have the booms and horizontal tail surfaces attached. I will add the little bit of filler later tonight, after the glue hardens. Heres what the Bronco’s looking like right now. 

Ez2vwZq.jpg

I discovered when i mocked it up on Monday that i needed to add some more weight. Im hoping and with🤞fingers that it works. If not i will have to play a little with this to see if i can give it any help. A few more photos to show that its square. Which if anyone has built a P-38 is aware, that is the hardest thing to do with aircraft of this style. 

fuu02o0.jpg

A51DL4o.jpg

Vn4z2Hd.jpg

SIfwan2.jpg

Well thats where we are folks. More later have a great modeling day.

Dennis

• Like 8

Always liked the look of the Bronco I was considering converting my nasty Testors' kit into a OV10D+ variant but Having read up about the kits inaccuracies let alone its other shortcomings I might wait awhile on that project.

Great work on this project, looking good. 

• Like 1

Its not hard with the only exception being nose weight. Actually I do my final sanding tonight,  and by monday i should start the painting. The instructions don't really tell you, but the propellers are keyed. I almost goofed on that today. No real problems with the kit though.

• Like 1

Hello everybody ... My apologies for the delay in updates. Bit of life and a cold getting in the way. Anyhow I finally got some paint on the Bronco. It turned into a piece of Terracotta pottery ? The color should look better once the Green is sprayed this weekend. So without further talk i give you my Bronco pottery. 

MG8AJY0.jpg

PNtW5lL.jpg

0nJaczp.jpg

QyPhcFm.jpg

More later folks.. I’ll let this cure and give it a clearcoat tomorrow. Questions ?, Comments ?, or Jokes ? Please have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello @Sgt.Squarehead ... Take all the notes you need. Theres a seat at the bar or in the front row. While researching this build i did figure out academy goofed on the canopy sides. If you want to pose these open they're seperate doors that have a frame in between. You would have to cut the canopy side panels to pose open and build the center frame. It looks like this

rietiFd.jpg

E4Ykwyj.jpg

Im opting to keep my canopies closed for the moment. However i might change my mind yet. If i can help with anything on your build Sgt. let me know. With Disability comes loads of time for research. 

Dennis

🔺* not sure if these are public record so i will state the ownership rights belong to others. I only use them for informational purposes. If i have to i will remove them. 
  • Like 1

Hello everyone ... So I was able to get the green color on my Bronco today. That leaves Clearcoat tomorrow and Decals on Sunday. Then little things like the Canopy and Landing gear. Heres some rough photos of how she looks.

Nz3YPV5.jpg

OQnU6LX.jpg

eKuvlXm.jpg

LxK7i8U.jpg

i6Rxkrr.jpg

Admittedly the sand color should be a little more yellow but this is the closest i have right now in my paints. Im good with it. Going to paint some of the little bits now. Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

• Like 5

Ok looking for some advice ... The plane Im building has 99% of the markings painted over. Only one Squadron code shows in the photo’s i have. Its XE from VX-5, and its on the upper starboard vertical fin. I have the ability to do all the Codes, Sq. Number, aircraft number, star & bars, and stencil. Im leaning toward authenticity and just doing the single XE. If anyone has thoughts please share. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

Hello everyone Ive been able to get some work done today. Ive been on bedrest for a few days. I re-injured an old back injury while doing Physical therapy for my foot. I cant win for trying. Enough of the sob story. Like I said I was able to do some work on the Bronco and another build today. I placed the only set of markings on. I painted all the lights, RWR antennas, finished painting the props minus the red stripes, and mounted the landing gear. Good news on that front, shes not a tail sitter😃. Without further talk i give you the bronco as she sits.

M66ElHB.jpg

7nYvT4K.jpg

twBdwPy.jpg

v5RfnGY.jpg

UkXPRBS.jpg

Just some minor things left like gear doors, whip antennas, pitot, canopy, and a light. Enough for today, please have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 2/1/2018 at 6:53 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I like the way the components are arranged, but that canopy looks kind of scary!  :o

Hello Andy ... and anyone else planning a build of one of these. I just glued my canopy on and they're pretty decent. Some minor retouches and tiny gaps but that will be sorted with some canopy glue and paint. 

ya9A0gv.jpg

gRiGFGV.jpg

aK4YTOz.jpg

Just some antennas, pitot, & Light to add. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Glad to see it went so well, but I'm not so sure a ham-fisted trackhead like me will cope so admirably.....You can't 'texture the armour' on a canopy!  ;)

The layout of this kit suits my intended purpose really well, I'll be packing mine with tail-weight, or to be more accurate, Milliput to support an acrylic rod stand.  I've been scrutinising aftermarket goodies for my build, now that I have a proper pod to put it in, one of these is looking very, very tempting:  https://modelsua.com/images/D/AM-72-039_3.jpg

• Like 1

Hello @Thud4444 ... No sidewinders im afraid. Im working from 4 photographs of a Bronco based at China Lake in 1986-87. The only thing im adding to the build that breaks from the photo’s is the droptank and guns. I appreciate your kind words for my brother. 

Dennis