A Cheat’s Way to a 1/72 Spitfire Vc ***COMPLETED!***

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

If you're feeling lucky today, this sheet will give you a lifetime's worth of 4" (and 8") black serials in a variety of styles.  Also available in less civilised scales.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VA7252

@Seahawk Thanks I may just order it. Whether my sanity, eyesight or marriage will survive is another thing though!

Now then, I was painting the wheels and exhausts ready for application. The exhausts fitted fine and once dry I applied the round turny things for the legs. Doing adjustments, one went ping and flew off. Many minutes on all fours found neither the wheel nor the carpet monster. You’d think that a black wheel on a light plain carpet would be easy to find.

No.

I searched thoroughly and patted myself down to make sure it wasn’t stuck to me :unamused:

Right then, before my mood turned the air blue I had a break and a biscuit. Chocolate digestives are best, but ginger nuts will do at a push. Upstairs to the box room to get a reference book when I heard a very faint click. Corner of my eye detected a movement. Unbeknown to me, the carpet monster had followed me upstairs and thrown the wheel on the floor beside me.....

And that Your Honour is the case for the defence.

Trevor of the Bailey

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Postie dropped something through the letterbox!

39440138234_08a0920a27_b.jpg

Measure twice and cut once. When I measured the 18” letters they seemed too small. However the 24” ones were the right size. As it is the existing 24” letters in my spares box were too wide and I didn’t have all the letters anyway, so it was a good investment after all.

So this is where I am at the moment.

40151591791_a2986a54d7_b.jpg

Setting solution is sucking in the transfers so I’ll leave alone for now.

The wheels are on and the prop is in the paint shop. Looking at the photo of the real thing I can’t see any wing walkways, so I’m minded to leave them off.

So nearly there!

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 5

So finally I’ve completed the model.

Last things to attend to were installing the propeller, canopy and black stripe transfers to replicate the shell ejector chutes underwing.

I had hoped to show the canopy open but unfortunately it wouldn’t bed down so in the end the Italeri canopy had to be slightly fettled to sit properly. All that was necessary was to rub the bottom of the canopy over an emery board a few times and then fix with Contacta Clear.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was the wheels. I thought that I had a spare set of four spokers - I didn’t so ended up using the kit ones with five. As this was a conversion using the spares box I didn’t buy replacements. Still you really have to look to spot the ‘error’!

Here are a few shots, but I’ll put an RFI thread up shortly and provide the link from here.

28405594009_b062a04868_b.jpg

25314034587_7b53a9100b_b.jpg

39474288174_ce47f9c1e6_b.jpg

Many thanks for your help and encouragement along the way. This has been a fun and quite easy conversion to do. Many of the conversion bits will be available from the likes of Quickboost and their like, so if you have a spare Mk.I in your stash why not give it a go?

Thanks again.

Trevor

Here’s the RFI thread

• Like 7

That looks most excellent Trevor and, apart from the canopy, a really straightforward conversion so I might just give it a go.

BTW if you want some four-spoke wheels, I have plenty in the spares box; let me know if you want some.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Beard ;)

If I were to do this again then I would modify the area under the windscreen before attaching the two halves of the fuselage. I think I made a bit of a Horlicks of the canopy with all that Contacta Clear. Who knows, if I had a different spare windscreen from another kit then things might have been different, but that’s what the spares box dealt me!

There is no major surgery, just filling and scribing.

I’ll look forward to your take on it!

Trevor

• Like 1