A Cheat’s Way to a 1/72 Spitfire Vc ***COMPLETED!***

@Cookenbacher

Thanks for the thumbs up. Hopefully over the weekend it will get its personality!

Those templates look interesting but I’m not sure my domestic printer will work in fractions of a percent!

Onwards and upwards!

Trevor

Definitely seen a photo of a MkV in Turkish markings! It was in an Ian Allan book by Ted Hooton . Spitfire Special it was called. Thin hardback book came out in the 1970's. Colour pic on cover of well known image with ZD code. But black and white pics inside with some colour art of badges etc. I do believe , if I recall right, the pic showed it from port rear three quarter view and I think there was one of a Spit flying alongside a Turkish FW190A!!!! I checkd  the image against the caption and sure enough you can see 3 stub exhaust and 3 blade prop with that 'pointy rudder'!!!  I would scan post pic of it here but don't have the book any more.

• Like 1

@Paul J You have described the same photo as in the Squadron Signal book. The photo originates from the Turkish Air Force and the caption says that it was parked in a dump of abandoned aircraft post war.

Trevor

When the Airfix Mk.Vc appeared in my hands, after some disappointment and critical language I corrected the aileron, sharpened the trailing edges and thinned down the wing from the inside, taking most of it off the leading edge.  I should have fitted a new canopy, but didn't.  I would not recommend this approach this now, with alternatives fairly readily available, but to be honest it seems like much less work than you are putting yourself through, especially without short cuts such as a new canopy from Squadron/Falcon.

@johnd that second photo is the one I’ve seen before.

@Graham Boak the inspiration for this build was the free Spitfire with the Daily Mail and seeing what I could do with it and my spares box. I’m essentially getting a ‘free’ Vc out of this. I obtained a second freebie at the same time and that I’ve earmarked as an early PR variant. I have a 30 year old Almark sheet at the ready......!

Trevor

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johnd said:

IMG_20180201_201458094_HDRIMG_20180201_201440924_HDR

Are these the ones you meant?

John.

Yup!! They're the ones!! Though the top one has the standard rudder by the look of it.

• Like 1

Little bit of progress this afternoon.

First off was the rear glazing. As this is to be finished with an open canopy I’m using the Italeri part. Offered up to position it was two shallow so I tried a shimmy of Slaters Rod. Still too shallow, but a second layer cured that problem. All fixed in with Contacta Clear.

Next was to prep the Sky band and yellow wing leading edge, the latter undercoated with white. The Sky was sufficiently dense not to need this.

So this is where I am at the moment.

28280906609_3ef3b1f68b_b.jpg

A gentle smoothing out with micromesh, they will then be masked off and I will apply the Medium Sea Grey with a rattlecan and then have a play with the camouflage template, before the Dark Green is deployed.

More soon.

Trevor

• Like 5

......and this is what it looks like with a coat of Dark Sea Grey over the top.

39163170895_6afa5a045a_b.jpg

I’ll let that harden overnight and then tackle the stencil for the Dark Green camouflage.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 5

The pain subsided, I gave it a coat of Ocean Grey late last night and then this morning I have mainly been masking.

40043250482_394b5849d0_b.jpg

39365447324_2d3e015e0b_b.jpg

It took a bit longer than I thought it would!

Right then, I’m off to the paint shop. Wish me luck........:pilot:

Trevor

• Like 5

I couldn’t wait any longer and peeled off all the masking

40044300482_433c0a6976_b.jpg

39366442714_e9418c1faa_b.jpg

40044300382_12e57686d6_b.jpg

I can see a few areas that need touching up, but overall not too bad. There are also a few places where I need to apply the micromesh to smooth out the ridges.

Now for the underside.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 4

Thanks for the thumbs up guys.

Since the above, its had had a varnish coat ready for the transfers. Having a rummage through my spares I found my Sky codes but didn’t have any 18” letters. Never mind, an Xtradecal sheet (which apparently is the old Modeldecal sheet) has been ordered and will be with me midweek. 

Its getting here!

Trevor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Its getting [t]here!

And looks most excellent. Your work on converting the Airfix MkI is mich to be admired although I'll either be cracking open a Sword one waiting until the AZ/ KP Vc is released later this year.

• Like 1

I’ve come to the bit I like best - the stickies!

The roundels, Czech marking and tail stripe are a rag bag of Italeri and Almark. Looking at the photo in the book above, it’s clear that the Czech marking wasn’t on the starboard side, although from the photos it’s sometimes found on both sides. As I only have the one photo, I have presumed that it’s on the port side, but that’s a safe bet I think. It came from an Almark sheet and if I’m honest it may be a tad large. However it’s the only size I had.

Squadron codes are in the post, so that’ll have to wait.

One thing I won’t be doing is the serial. Again the photo shows that it wasn’t a standard application (a repaint perhaps?) and was painted on the Sky fuselage band near the top of the fuselage in maybe 4” characters? Whatever, I don’t have anything in the spare transfers box and even if I did, my eyesight, patience and mental stability would all end up being severely tested.

So here is where I am at the moment.

39217572565_3146ce9b93_b.jpg

39217572655_5093b08143_b.jpg

40116792281_3f85b271cb_b.jpg

39404844874_34ee46ec26_b.jpg

Some little jobs to do such as the  No Walk lines, propeller and mainwheels will be attended to next whilst I wait for my delivery of Squadron codes.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 6

Quick update.

I have finally found a picture of EE721 on the interwebby and it’s the same one as in the book.

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/bulivyf/media/Spitfire Vb/Mk.Vc EE 721 DUoE V.Smoliacutek -1_zpswxdel9mz.jpg.html

Trevor

Very nice Trevor, smart! :)

I share your pain with applying individual serials but square, tight edges make it easier. Also photos from a distance! Hope it goes well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1