Mariner1972

Mariner1972

1/350th? Rather you than me mate! (I'm struggling at 1/48 scale!)  

I'm assuming you are painting aircraft for an Aircraft Carrier kit, or wargaming? Either way, I would go one of two routes.

1. For aircraft that have a "Blister" or Bubble/ Greenhouse Type canopy- like an F-18 or Grumman Avenger I'd be using the smallest brush I have (Size 0 or 00) with some very well thinned paint, of the colour of your choice- and an optivisor/ reading spectacles combination so I had a fighting chance of seeing where the paint is going. Build up the required finish over a number of coats, don't try and get it all on in a one-er. Any canopy frames can be  carefully painted, or some decal strips can be applied- just apply a clear coat to seal them on.

2. For Aircraft with windows and portholes, like a Sea King or a Sky Warrior, I'd try some black decal (Buy a sheet of a solid colour or cut up some spare letters/ walkways etc.) and cut the window shapes out with a very sharp (careful now!) scalpel. Apply where desired and seal as above!

Best of luck with your modelling!

It's the air wing for the uss Franklin. Very small, I had a go at painting with acrylic but didn't seem to stick if you know what I mean ?   Might have a go with enamel, I was even thinking of a wash? . I've seen some just paint them black , but I'm not sure about that?

I have had some trouble in the past with brush painting Tamiya Acrylics, I think it was down to not thoroughly stirring the paint to ensure the pigment and solvent are at their correct ratio for good performance. a bit of thinner and mixing it on a palette or small dish (I've got several ex-mince pie tin foil cases in use  at the moment) 

Humbrol enamel is generally pretty good, but again, ensuring that it is well mixed is essential.

As for the canopy colours- as the canopy are not clear plastic (I assume) then any approach is a compromise- I've seen black, blue or silver in use- have a look around the web and see what you like the look of- it's your model!

Cheers,

Troffa