Takom Merkava Mk1 Hybrid

arnobiz

Hello,

First topic in quite a while, happy to be back!

I recently started the Takom Merkava Mk1 hybrid. Fantastic kit, very easy to build, great fit and very complete too with just the right amount of PE too.

39668877291_55ce83469b.jpg

I will man it with the Walkyrie 1980's IDF crew:

38771411535_d0e20abb52.jpg

As I said fit and build are very straightforward so I will not dwell on it. The main thing missing in my opinion is the antiskid coating, which I set about to create using embossing powder. It worked much better than my previous attempt (a Meng Merkava Mk3D) with fine sand, which was too coarse for the job. I spread diluted PVA glue with a brush, area by area:

39668877201_b59ec42c9c.jpg

And here is the finished result:

38959853314_10535d4bb6.jpg

25796702958_6f9b054931.jpg

Current status, now tackling wheel painting:

38959854194_e91afb8268.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

• Like 4

Great start.  Wish I had though of the antiskid but not sure my skills are up to applying it without a wreck.  Looking good so far and the coating

sure adds to the overall look.

I think this is going to be an epic build and I will follow closely.

Take care,

Lloyd

5 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Great start.  Wish I had though of the antiskid but not sure my skills are up to applying it without a wreck.  Looking good so far and the coating

sure adds to the overall look.

I think this is going to be an epic build and I will follow closely.

Take care,

Lloyd

This is the 3rd time I've seen someone use embossing powder for anti-skid and it looks good!!  I've wondered how to get the anti-skid to be the darker color I've seen in pics as compared to the base color on the armor.  Not a large difference, but enough for the OCD anal.  Any ideas or just let it go.  Lloyd and Arnaud, anyone else, have any ideas or have done so?

Kajay

I've never tried anti-skid, but some AFV's should really have it.  It's up there with the home made zimmerit I have tried, not too successfully though.

If you do try be sure to post some pics.  It looks great on Arnobiz's Merkava and I can see another one coming that I might just try this on.

BTW what is embossing powder?

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

No worries Lloyd.

@Francis: I found it at a local art/scrap-booking supplies store, it's pretty common stuff. It comes in a variety of colours and I think I would have been better off using grey than black as black is darn hard to cover with paint!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

No worries Lloyd.

@Francis: I found it at a local art/scrap-booking supplies store, it's pretty common stuff. It comes in a variety of colours and I think I would have been better off using grey than black as black is darn hard to cover with paint!

Thanks for reply, please, could not you put a photo in which the product is clearly seen? I know that I will not get an obviously one, but maybe it will help me to get something that completely fits yours. Cheers arnobiz :yes:

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Could you give me the link please? Is it very expensive? ...cheers Lloyd :yes:

Here is a link...it is easy to find in the USA and in art stores.  Go to the girly jewelry making section and you'll find it...lol...man up and be proud of your hobby!  LOL.  Aamzon is the easiest.

Ranger Embossing Powder, .56 Ounce Jar, Super Fine Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J39I2F4/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_rxbxAbC618F03
  • Thanks 1

I got mine for 6€ at the local store, definitely not the cheapest source but it should last for a while and I got it immediately :)

Some progress on the wheels, ready to be weathered and assembled:

27928489379_94dcf7cb68.jpg

Before painting I worn out the rubber part a tad using my Dremel. Not sure much will be visible with the skirts on but if so, it will be there :)

39707251601_06f80628bd.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arnobiz said:

I got mine for 6€ at the local store, definitely not the cheapest source but it should last for a while and I got it immediately :)

Some progress on the wheels, ready to be weathered and assembled:

27928489379_94dcf7cb68.jpg

Before painting I worn out the rubber part a tad using my Dremel. Not sure much will be visible with the skirts on but if so, it will be there :)

39707251601_06f80628bd.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

Looks good!   Like the warn look on the rubber.  Even if not seen it adds a bit of authenticity that you know is there.  Cheers, KJ

Thanks KJ!

Here is the completed lower chassis, dusted with Vallejo sand pigments:

27944578439_6f4cb94a57.jpg

39014173294_69b3abf110.jpg

I also completed assembly, black priming and white highlights of the upper chassis and turret:

27944576069_3d43087a29.jpg

27944577309_805a0ae7d1.jpg

Next will be brown basing of the skirts for my first ever attempt at the hairspray technique to replicate scratches. Let's see how it goes!

Thanks,

Arnaud

• Like 2

Great work so far! The road wheels with the holes are in the wrong place though. They tougher (and more expensive) than the solid ones, therefore when they're were used, they're were always mounted right after the drive-wheel where stress on the road wheels is the biggest.

QYWJ2Pf.jpg 

You can see the location of the special road wheels on these Merkava 2Bs, one of which was painted in an experimental three-tone camouflage...  

vOpDBVz.jpg

• Like 1

Sooo helpful Israel, thanks a lot. Fortunately I had not glued the wheels and tracks too much so I was able to correct it without damage :) I wrongly assumed these wheels were just a different type, similar to russian tanks wich can sport different wheels in any position, and thus wanted to deviate from the instructions to make something different. Bad idea, but caught in time and fixed thanks to you :yes:

Arnaud

Thanks guys. I have tried the hairspray technique for the first time ever, super cool techniquye! I would not say I master it but it definitely has a lot of potential.

First, exposed areas were painted dark brown

24873581147_9f61fb1c8a.jpg

39711377902_1e06ce6c9c.jpg

Then, Vallejo chipping fluid followed by IDF grey ( Actually Vallejo Model Air 71.138 US Sand). Then I created masks using the kit decals as templates so I could scratch the skirts markings later:

24873579627_c6315ea57d.jpg

And then, fun with a cocktail stick!

39711375572_baba59c96f.jpg

24873578397_0e8a85e228.jpg

39711376482_e28e33a4de.jpg

39711376882_2f0705e2d4.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Arnaud

• Like 3

Hi Arnaud

Picked up a Meng Merkava 3D today and some black embossing powder to give your idea a try.  It's not as nice a kit as the Takom MK 1 Hybrid,

the fits on some of the hull parts are just so so but it looks like a Merkava.  Until I foul it up that is, LOL.

Yours is sure looking good so far and the hairspray idea works well.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12