Hawker Hunter F6.

Artie

With the new Airfix kit only a stone throw away, I've just found an Academy Hawker Hunter in 1/48 scale....When you keep loads of unbuilt kits at your parents' storeroom, that's what you usually find...

To my surprise, there's a resin cockpit, complete with bang seat and a set of resin wheels. There was a time when I used to throw resins and photoetched parts into the kits they were intended for....so I've forgotten about how many resin sets I've got out there..:o

Is there any thing to be aware...???? Is it a decent kit, given the fact I'm going to add a resin cockpit...???

Cheers....

Hi, Paul.....After reading the whole thread with great interest, I've came to a point of procrastination...I'm not a rivet counter at all, but don't like building inaccurate kits neither...the question is "how much inaccuracy am I willing to take???".....If a kit looks like the original subject, I don't mind it being a few milimeters longer or shorter....

On the other hand, with the new Airfix kit being near at hand, I think it's time to build the Academy kit before it turns to be a definite loft insulation. With the aid of those resin detail kits to correct the worst part (cockpit area), it will look fine in my collection of cold war jets...

Best regards...

• Like 3

The pit on the Academy kit is far too shallow, something that is addressed by the Cutting Edge replacement pit (which I assume is the one you have?), one problem is that this deeper cockpit will now interfere with the fit of the nose wheel bay.  Just something to be aware of here.  

If you can live with the innaccuracies then build it. It does look like a Hunter when all is said and done, and you'll get a head start on your Hunter

research ready for when the Airfix kit arrives. And as Paul says......plenty of pics please.

• Like 1

apart from the cockpit issues already mentioned, the wheels are too small ( addressed by your resin wheels). You didn't say whose rsin cockpit you have, I used the Neomega one and it was a drop fit with no interference to anything else. The tailplanes can be moved by a mm ( I didn't bother). Far biggest issue is fitting the wings on this kit. Well known but the engine and intake parts seem to interfere with the wing fit, pushing one side or the other out if alignment. Careful fettling of the interior of the wing area where the intakes sit can help with this. I also followed advise to fit the wings to the fuselage half first, then join the fuselage halves. Pretty trouble free after that.  Looks like a Hunter to me ( but I will be buying an Airfix one)!

12.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vesthepes said:

here's a WIP on a F6 Hunter I did some time ago

After reading your WIP with great interest, I feel the need to correct a few things, but my limited skills won't lead me to a such a good model as yours. I'l try to do my best to correct the air intakes and tail section, add the resin cokpit and that's all........then, I'll seat waiting for the postman to ring my bell and produce a nice red box....^_^

A friend of mine once said "life's too short to be wasted drikning bad whiskey".....He's a wise irishman...don't you think so???

Cheers... 

Edited by Artie

Hehe, I am more of a wine person, but I feel you ... and the whiskey guy :) 

I still have one Academy in the stash with some AM leftovers and to be honest I don't know if I would do it all over again... but it is not because of the fixes, I believe it just isn't the easiest kit to build.

As I recollect the most annoying thing was the construction and the fit of the intakes with or without the correction (basically just sanding the intake edge to make it appear larger/wider). The same goes for the nose parts, it's quite a challenge.

As for the fixes, IMO you can easily skip the dog tooth fix. Positioning of the speed brake and the tailplanes is quite easy, you shouldn't worry there, just move it to a different position or let it be, as it is not something major to notice. Sanding of the too pointy edges and the bullet on the tail is easy. The nose is a hard fix to correct so I didn't bother. But it bothers me the most.

I also have some regrets of not fixing (or buying) a vacu canopy, which is too short when you cut the back frame. I thought it would be okay if I pose it in open position, but the canopy is too narrow, to slide back down the spine... 

Funny thing is the cockpit is barely visible in its all black color and not that important, but the seat really pops out. 

I don't remember having any issues with the fitting of the wings to the fuselage, but it might be I have just forgotten that part. Just make sure the trunking of the intakes is done correctly. As mentioned the kit wheels are way too small.

Anyway, just go for it and enjoy the build. When done, with or without corrections it still looks like a Hunter, which is very beautiful. 

cheers