1/72 USCG Grumman Albatross

Hi all and here's my first finish of 2018, built for the Flying Boats GB here. This is Revell's 1989 boxing of Monogram's 1957 issue Grumman Hu-16 Albatross finished in US Coastguard markings for S/N 7240.

According to the Coastguard Aviation Association, S/n 7240 began it's career on 25th August 1961 based out of San Diego before moving to a number of different bases. She was detatched to NAS Quonset Point for 4 months in 1967 and would have worn the scheme of that time with a hi-vis orange nose. (I went for the later scheme she wore)

After 2 years in storage at Davis Monthan in the early 70's, she was overhauled and re-entered service at Cape Cod in July 1972 and then Miami and San Francisco among others. Her last flight was 10th August 1982 out of Cape Cod.

The build thread is here but to recap:

Kit: Revell 4280

Paints: White from Halfords spray can. All other colours Revell Acrylic, brush painted. Klear, Flory Models Wash, pastels.

Decals: PrintScale Grumman Albatross 72-136

Extras: All rivets sanded off, panel lines rescribed. Basic interior added to cockpit. 20g weight in the nose.

If you look beyond the simple details like the engines and overscale landing gear, the millions of rivets and lack of any detail on the inside, she's actually quite a nice simple build. My efforts at rescribing were ok and I'm really happy how she turned out in that iconic USCG scheme. Definitely one of those aircraft that's in need of a 1/72 re-tool.

24787587797_43d5645615_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (2) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

25784772318_e1641cb414_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

25784767098_0b3063c151_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

24787584157_1aefa2ae86_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (5) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

39626025142_c24725a127_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

38947705554_6507c815fb_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (7) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

38947703804_3a1ff2fe0b_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And with my Hobby Boss Jayhawk.

39626019402_99ae8bc02c_b.jpgRevell_1_72_USCG_Grumman_Albatross (9) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Fabulous modelling!

It's inspiring, and humbling, to see how a 60 year old kit can be transformed into a display model through skill and elbow grease.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Agreed 100%

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Holy schmoly. You would never guess the moulds date back to 1957. Fantastic result.

I've been tempted to pick up one of these  at some point but the age of the kit has always put me of. It just shows what can be done with geriatric plastic.

• Thanks 1

What a beauty Dermot,....the Albatross just looks so right in this scheme and you`ve produced a real corker there mate,......it goes so well with the modern day counterpart too!

Cheers

Tony

PS,....were you a big kid by playing with the retractable undercarriage? And have you left it foldable?

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a beauty Dermot,....the Albatross just looks so right in this scheme and you`ve produced a real corker there mate,......it goes so well with the modern day counterpart too!

Cheers

Tony

PS,....were you a big kid by playing with the retractable undercarriage? And have you left it foldable?

Thanks everybody, really appreciate the kind words.

@tonyot - How did you guess!!

I did dry-fit one side of the undercarriage to see it in working action. But after about three go's, I was worried the pins wouldn't hold up to repeated open/close movements and that she'd take a tumble.

So I glued them. 

Revell also have you make a connecting rod from stretched sprue that's not very clear from the instructions. Again, I didn't think this would be strong enough so I used plastic rod to be on the safe side.

• Haha 1

Splendid job, Dermot. I've got a soft spot for the old Monogram HU-16. Raised lines and rivets, but decent fit and good detail for its day. And constant 1/72 scale, not a random 1957 box scale!

The issue I have in my kit accumulation was a 1960's re-release molded in "silver" plastic, which I always like for a rescribe job as the panel lines remain in ghost form after removal. Makes laying out the rescribe much easier.

• Like 1