HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14D

Hi all. 

For my second WIP thread I am doing the HobbyBoss F-14D 1/48. This is a kit I’ve wanted to build since watching Genissis models walkthrough on YouTube and his final reveal on this forum.

I known i could ha r waited for the carriers ahoy or Grumman GB’s.... but I was very keen to crack on with this kit!

This will be another OOB build and I am sticking pretty much with the walkthrough on YouTube until I get to the painting stage.

Here’s where I am so far.....

Cockpit built along with the radar and front landing gear bay. All assembled and sealed up never to be seen again!

F-14D

F-14D

F-14D

F-14D

F-14D

F-14D

I have also covered up the Gatling gun system.

This is going to need some filling and sanding sadly.

F-14D

Then I moved into the wings. As per Bob’s step by step I removed the front underside of the flap don i could have flaps and slats up and closed and sit flush.

F-14D

And I have also assembled and painted the engine inside. As they are going to be sealed in I am not doing any of the exterior work on them. 

F-14D

And that is pretty much where I am at the moment. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the inside of the intakes then I can start to mask and attach to the lower rear fuselage.

thanks for looking.

• Like 2

Update time!

Next job was the air intakes. I actually spent a lot more time on these than I was hoping, but I think the end result is worth it. 

Middle intakes all nice and seamless.

27961132769_83bb83a8a9_b.jpg

Then, if following the instructions, you’re supposed to fix the intake cowls to the lower rear fuselage then flip over and insert the air intake into the bay. However, before I did that I test fitted the intake into the cowl and it was quite obvious that all the work to get the intake seamless was completely pointless as there was going to be a seam between the cowl and the intake.

39030701204_abd5f2bde6_b.jpg

I couldn’t live with that so I attached the intake to the cowl first, filled, sanded and re-sprayed before fitting the sub assemblies to the fuselage. It took a bit of coaxing to get into place properly as the air flow restrictors had to be in place, but it went in and looked pretty good in the end. 

Sadly, there is a bit of the kit that I’m not too keen on. There is only the option to have the flow restrictors in the position for supersonic flight without the need for some scratch building to cover some pretty huge gaps. I’ve decided to go with the kit way as this looks neatest and just live with the inaccuracy of the position for a parked plane.

24870366237_527bf508d6_b.jpg

39030719604_4e96a1e93e_b.jpg

Engines fitted. No exterior work on those as that are being buttoned up.

39030700674_f3b456132e_b.jpg

And finally it’s starting to look like a Tomcat with the top fuselage fitted.

24870366697_2eddac5582_b.jpg

38841708985_3c7d322e6f_b.jpg

As a side note, and I know it’s claimed that the inspiration came from a partially eaten hamburger..... But I’m not convinced.... The design for the Millenium Falcon just had to come from, what would have been a very new aircraft at the time, the Tomcat! Especially as one of the Star Wars design team had previously worked as an aircraft designer! Just a thought! 😀