H builds the Sherman VC Firefly, with front doo-dads! FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

44 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've never built a tank, H, and I think this thread should be a great introduction. Great work so far, on the uh, um....parts that definitely aren't wings!

This is only my second tank in 1/35 dude. Very much a things with wings type of guy, although as a retired truckie & fair weather biker my stash is expanding to include these too. 

Have you got your notebook?📝 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

Tamiya’s instructions say to paint it TS-2/ XF61 Dark green. My LMS do not stock Tamiya TS rattle cans & if I want any by post you have to pay for a courier. I do have Hum 30 Dark green in a rattle can. Is this close enough? 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

8 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Hum 30 Dark green in a rattle can. Is this close enough?

God no, it'll look livid!  :o

I don't like the look of TS-2 much either.....You want an Olive Drab really, but they do several and I'm not sure which is the one to go for.  Two would be better, use the darker one as a base then mist the ligher on top to highlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since I used Tamiya sprays, so I'm going on online recommendations & comments, but Tamiya TS-5 & TS-28 both look like decent possibilities.....Without seeing the actual colour it's really hard to advise beyond that.  :unsure:

This may be of interest/use:  http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/olive-drab/4536/

Steve recommends Tamiya XF-62 as the best match.....Looking that up on the conversion list here:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/112423.aspx?sort=DESC

Gives us TS-5 for the base coat:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=tamiya+ts-5&_sop=15

PS - TS-28 may well be a lighter colour, if it is you can lightly spray it in a top down (only) fashion to highlight your model.....Layered over some preshading or a dark undercoat these two colours (assuming I'm right about TS-28) should give you a pleasing range/intensity of hue.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

Forgot to add, if you decide to pick up a pot of their XF-62 Olive Drab for touch-ups etc. (or any other Tamiya acrylics), make sure you get some X20A to thin it and some of their Paint Retarder (Acrylic) otherwise it will be almost impossible to brush smoothly, it can still be quite tricky at times even using these products (I use these together with distilled water on the rare occasion I brush Tamiyas).....First hint of a skin forming, leave well alone, don't overpaint until it's properly dry.  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 8:11 PM, Hewy said:

Isn't it about time for the doo dads, :popcorn::poke:

Glynn 

Doo-dads fitted😝

resized_207a2c10-638a-4c06-9cbd-6387f9f8

Firefly ready for painting. (Shiny)🤫

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is promising H, I guess you'll mat it down a bit? ;)

It’s under some Oliver drab, but will see what it looks like after the decals. 

• Like 1

Decals done. That was quick, only had to put 8 on. 

resized_5f030b79-9aa4-4dfc-a293-9b4e0102

Still to do,

Tracks on,

Tools etc on,

Clear parts on. 

Done.  I know tanks should be grubby and covered in mud, dust and what nots, but I’m still learning that black magic & don’t want to ruin this one, so this is going to be done as is, slightly shiny under some Tamiya Flat Clear. 

• Like 1