H builds the Sherman VC Firefly, with front doo-dads! FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

I did say I was going to build something in this GB. I have chosen the Tamiya kit from the stash & will be going for a OOB build ( although it does have a little PE fret). Be gentle as this is my second ever 1/35 tank, I mostly make things with front wings and back wings! Any advice or comments along the way are appreciated, it’s the only way to learn. 

Box shot

resized_65841c6b-8be2-4658-99f9-15b8c55b

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 8

Only ever Sherman I have built was the Airfix 1/76 that came in a landing barge.  I also tend to only build things with wings so I can't really add anything to your build but I wouldn't mind sitting in the corner here and watch if I may?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Only ever Sherman I have built was the Airfix 1/76 that came in a landing barge.  I also tend to only build things with wings so I can't really add anything to your build but I wouldn't mind sitting in the corner here and watch if I may?

No problems dude. Get comfy it’s going to be a long build. 

43 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Jeez, that gave me a shock, someone calling themselves H and from Wales, you're not that pop bloke from Steps are you? :)

errrrh nope, that’s not me, I did work for a living!

• Like 1

Hockeyboy you've definitely got a nice kit, I built one of these when it was in the tasca boxing. There will be plenty to give you tips and willing you along in this GB

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hockeyboy you've definitely got a nice kit, I built one of these when it was in the tasca boxing. There will be plenty to give you tips and willing you along in this GB

Cheers Ozzy. Two good model shops in Salisbury, moved away last year. Sibo was always very helpful. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Cheers Ozzy. Two good model shops in Salisbury, moved away last year. Sibo was always very helpful. 

I hope there is a least 1 model shop nearby for you Hockeyboy? Salisbury definitely a nice place to live, depending on what my modelling needs are and where I park will dictate which shop I go to. David's not been particularly well so some guys have rallied around to keep the shop open, Sibo helped out also ordering stock for the shop. As part of my modelling New Years resolution I still need to join the model club.

It’s  always good when two shops help each other out. I never joined the club, but always went to the model show & entered the competition. Managed a silver for my Tornado in 2016. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Welcome to the GB fella, looks a great kit and I look forward to seeing your progress.  B)

If you need any help with references just give me a shout, the Firefly's a favourite of mine, so I've got a fair bit.

Thanks dude. 

The only question i have at the moment is, what makes it a firefly? Oh and what are the two do-dads sticking up on the front of the hull between the tracks. 

Sherman Firefly Vc is a conversion of the M4A4 Sherman V fitted with a 17pdr gun, probably the best all round AT gun of WWII, it could take out a Tiger, front on, at over a mile. 

To make room for the monster gun and ammo some concessions were made, hence no bow MG position and a four man crew:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Firefly

Will ping you a PM with a link to something a bit more detailed shortly.  :nerd:

PS - As for the doo-dads.....Not a scooby!  :o

3 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

The only question i have at the moment is, what makes it a firefly?

The "C" in the designation. All British Shermans were classified by a mark number, l,ll,lll and V to denote whether they were M4, M4A1, M4A2 or M4A4 (the British didn't use the M4A3). That would sometimes be followed by a small letter to denote the gun that it was armed with. a would denote a 76mm, b a 105mm and c a 17pdr (Firefly).

John.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - As for the doo-dads.....Not a scooby!  :o

Just a guess, could they be rear view mirror arms? I've never seen any that big before, but just possible.

John.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just a guess, could they be rear view mirror arms?

How do chaps,

I think they are mounting brackets for the 'Houseboat' system. This was a way to disguise the tank and make it look like a lorry. The system was used in North Africa on Crusaders and such but I don't think it was used in Normandy :idea:

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 5

Theres a photo of what looks like a Firefly with 'doo-dads' here: https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/tanks/sherman-tank/sherman-firefly-tank-fitted-with-a-17-pounder-anti-tank-gun/

There are a few oddities about the image that confuse me - notably a different gun mantle and what look like sand shields.  Maybe @Sgt.Squarehead, can throw some light on that?

Personally, I'd leave them off

• Like 1

Loving all the comments and theories on the doo-dads, so much so that they are going on the kit. Tamiya claim they were on T148495 A sqn 24th Lancers 8th Armoured Brig. Normandy June1944. I ask you when has a main stream manufacturer got any details wrong on a kit they were modelling 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

they are indeed part of the house boat system strange name for disguising a tank as a lorry the front horns on the Sherman held the cab part in place you will find other attachment points along where the sand skirts fitted

• Like 1