Very rare bird

huvut76g7gbbui7

33 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

This Sikorsky S-64F is presently on a job near Keith.

It is ex 69-18473,a US Army CH-54B.

If anyone interested I will send more to Julien for walkaround.

resized_ee9a58d9-3ca3-4d69-9237-d3b039bb

Julien would love that. His aim is to have a better selection than Prime Portal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Julien would love that. His aim is to have a better selection than Prime Portal.

Prime Portal is a bit of a dead cow nowadays as there have been no real updates for two years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

What sort of job is it doing?

Just to the left and below my shot are 124 (or 142..can't remember) electricity pylons which are going into the Drummuir area.

She was shipped to Montrose,assembled and flown to a temporary heli-pad. Balfour Beattie is the main contracter and their guys on the spot thought my son and I totally mad to do a 420 mile round trip to photograph a helicopter. They're probably right!

resized_6d76ae64-42f4-4c99-89f9-349f0b3a

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I've e-mailed Julien one or three megabitswhotsits to play around with and hopefully they will appear in due course.

From this source,http://www.rotorspot.nl/product/s64.php  there are about 40 registered but doubt if all of them are airworthy although Erikson appears to have all the design rights and is still re-building them. (as Max just posted)

This is a good read

https://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/helicopters/erickson-air-crane

• Like 1

Love a flying crane. About to start an Mi-10 in the Britmodeller 10th anniversary group build. Could do with an S-64 to go with it.

There's usually one of these in Melbourne over the summer for bushfire season. Quite a sight - never managed to photograph it though. There was a bushfire last week at Keith, South Australia, not far from where I'm staying on holiday. When I saw this post I almost picked up the camera and got in the car. Good thing I noticed it's not the same Keith!

• Haha 1

It reminds me of a couple of amazing builds I first saw on Scalemates a while ago:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10040&p=albums&album=14831

http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/5075-sikorsky-s-64e-skycrane-revell.html

Well worth a look.

• Like 3

Lovely pic of the Skycrane on duty in Scotland. And without wishing to hijack the thread here's a couple of S-64s I photoed in the last couple of years:

27894307439_d3915af1f8_b.jpg

This bird was seen on duty at Long Beach Ca in Nov 2014

39673117811_80ec5fc515_b.jpg

5A5A5959

CH-54A seen last year at the Ft Rucker Al Army Museum.

Mark

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Lovely Crane. Revell (1/72) and memory serves a Tamiya 1/100 are the only games in town?

BTW Erikson Air Crane bought the type certificate from Sikorsky.

Trevor

Picked up a Revell one at Hornchurch a couple of years back. Guy on the next table was desperate for one to complete his Vietnam helo collection. Shortest time I have ever owned a kit, and £20 profit. Saw it built at Telford last year. He did a good job on it.

• Like 2

Erickson is still going strong. They 'bought' Evergreen's helo ops a few years back, and bit off more than they could chew and went into bankruptcy protection, but are now back in business with Elvis and co.  A friend of mine owned an aircraft instrument refurbishing company and he had the contract to refurbish parts from Skycranes for Erickson . Part the reason he retired and sold up was that Erickson went into bankruptcy.

Here's some great footage from Youtube of Skycranes working the Thomas Fire late last year:

Very close to where my mother-in-law lives - they became a very common sight over her house.

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 6

On 13/01/2018 at 9:12 PM, Max Headroom said:

Lovely Crane. Revell (1/72) and memory serves a Tamiya 1/100 are the only games in town?

BTW Erikson Air Crane bought the type certificate from Sikorsky.

Trevor

Didn't Aurora do one as well around the same time as Revell did?

Ian

Regarding the Italian Skycranes, the Forestry Corps initially used a number of Erikson owned machines but later purchased 4 all in service today although the Corps itself is now part of a different organization. They carry the names of Native American chiefs: Geronimo, Toro Seduto (Sitting Bull), Nuvola Rossa (Red Cloud) and Orso Bruno (Brown Bear). The latter however is not probably the name of a real chief

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1