This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Graeme H

Slow TV

There is a format called slow TV, that is probably the best form of reality TV, beats the Kardashians hands down.

bit of a Wiki blurb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_television

In the early hours of tomorrow SBS TV here in Australia will start a 17 hour train journey from Adelaide to Darwin ( the real journey takes longer than that, but they are only showing the daylight bits), which I will be watching a lot of while I fettle away at some models, as railways has always been one of my other passions.

The concept of slow TV is that nothing happens, in this case just the train moving along the track, what's not to love and with tomorrow temperature here in my home town being in the 26-34C range

being inside watching TV and building models in the air conditioning, it doesn't get any better than that.

The trailer was shown a week ago, just a mere 3 hours

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2017/12/12/slow-tv-comes-sbs-ghan-australias-greatest-train-journey

Australia: Special Broadcasting Service[edit]

On the evening of 7 January 2018, the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) broadcast on its main TV channel the first Australian-made slow TV style program, a three hour-long documentary of a journey aboard The Ghan, the passenger train from Adelaide to Darwin. The three hour program also used both archival imagery and contemporary graphics to tell the story of the construction of the 2,979 km (1,851 mi) Adelaide–Darwin railway and that of its predecessor, the Central Australia Railway.[44]

According to OzTAM’s overnight preliminary ratings, the SBS telecast of the three hour program averaged more than 400,000 viewers, with most of the audience being in Melbourne.[45]SBS later issued a media release stating that the three hour program had "... recorded an average of 583,000 viewers in metro and regional markets ... making this the highest performing SBS program in the past 12 months ...". SBS also scheduled a broadcast of a longer, 17-hour, version of the program on SBS Viceland and SBS On Demand on Sunday, 14 January 2018, from 2.40am to 8.30pm.[46][47]

This type of program has been around for a while now. The first one that I know of was done by one of the Scandinavian countries and involved an (interminable) sleigh ride that went on for several hours. BBC4 had one last week that showed a canal boat trip. Relaxing, but a bit like watching grass grow.

John.

I think the BBC did a train one recently too. Tornado I think? I watched some of the canal trip. I found it oddly compelling. 

On my Virgin media box is offered various little videos. Kittens in a box, bicycles in a park, a tree on a sunny day, frying an egg, birds singing. They can add a little background activity in a quiet house without being distracting.

Who else watched the canal trip whilst following the route on an Ordanance Survey map?

Just me then.

Seen this sort of thing many many years ago via satellite, think it was the German RTE broadcasting view from train cab through the night rather than repeating everything from the day time.

As said BBC has done canal boat, train, (was Tornado - disappointed a little as it wasn't that long and not truly from the cab - into the cab, but each to their own) following a sleigh and also a bus over the Yorkshire Dales I think it was. Enjoy these sort of things, best one was the canal as having been on a holiday with a 10 berth boat it was fun and very very relaxing

Edited by Toe

Well I started the journey part way in at 0350, just gone 07015 and fascinating stuff, it has a lot of various scenes, some of the driver, some out the window, and drone shots of it going across the land, occasional shots inside the train and of passengers and conversations, but nothing you can make out, then the shots close to the track and wait 5 minutes for the train to come and then go past, must get back in case I miss anything 

I watched 20 minutes of Kitten TV today at the behest of my dear son.  Cute for 20 minutes, but I think there were 6 or 8 episodes of 40 minutes! :tired:

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

Well I started the journey part way in at 0350, just gone 07015 and fascinating stuff, it has a lot of various scenes, some of the driver, some out the window, and drone shots of it going across the land, occasional shots inside the train and of passengers and conversations, but nothing you can make out, then the shots close to the track and wait 5 minutes for the train to come and then go past, must get back in case I miss anything 

I logged on, but it won't play for me. Maybe cos I'm the other side of the world. All I could get was the short trailer.

9 hours ago, noelh said:

I think the BBC did a train one recently too. Tornado I think? I watched some of the canal trip. I found it oddly compelling. 

On my Virgin media box is offered various little videos. Kittens in a box, bicycles in a park, a tree on a sunny day, frying an egg, birds singing. They can add a little background activity in a quiet house without being distracting.

I think you must mean the Flying Scotsman when they filmed it from the footplate in 2016 or the whole of its journey from start to finish on the Severn Valley line, about 55 minutes.

Although I didn't see the train on the day they filmed, I did see it on its run from a cracking location, about 10 yards from the track, got a great picture of it which I posted on a thread here, spot of the day, I think.

I live in Kidderminster and saw the train at the Trimpley reservoir, just after the Bewdley station.

Edited by Whofan
Clarify a point

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I logged on, but it won't play for me. Maybe cos I'm the other side of the world. All I could get was the short trailer.

Maybe try SBS Viceland on facebook if you are on that, although I doubt that will give you the whole journey either, I'm not very tech savvy so don't know all the formats of these things, but it strangely mesmerising while doing some modelling

I don't do Faceache. I have a selection of UK cabrides on DVD. Just thought this would be interesting. I saw Chris Tarrant's programme on the Ghan.

Love to make the trip someday.

Well made it to Darwin, and i'm about done in, although I took a bit of time off here and there, probably did more than 12 hours altogether 

off to bed I think