Cunard Queen Mary 2, Revell 1:400

I've finished my second ship build, Revell's 1:400 Queen Mary 2.

I'm not sure if there's already a completed build on here - the search results brought up a lot of unrelated threads, so apologies if this is a repetition.

This build took me a long time, having started in September, but I've lost most of the WIP pictures after a problem with my phone.

It sits nicely alongside my 1:450 QE2, and I will try to take more photos in better light.

IMG_3146

IMG_3145

IMG_3147

IMG_3148

IMG_3151

IMG_3153

Again, I used the water effect for the pools, and I bought the Artwox wood decking, which was an absolute dream to work with.

I regret not being able to find one for the QE2, however, I got the Trumpeter 1:350 Richelieu as a Christmas present from my parents, and I was able to find an Artwox wood deck for that, which I am looking forward to building soon.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Chewitt said:

:cat:That's  superb,I have built the 1/700 for a friend and its a big model :fish:,must the massive in 1/400   :goodjob: 

Yer, it was pretty unwieldy during the build, it nearly got dropped right towards the end!

I was hoping to have a collection of all the same scale, but the only common scale I could find of ships was 1:1,200.

1:700 would probably be more practical.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clipper said:

What about Revell's Aida (AIDAblu, AIDAsol, AIDAmar, or AIDAstella) cruise liner? Their modern design and livery will contrast against the Cunard elegance! https://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/ships/civilian-ships/id/05230.html.

Hmm, now, I like the shape of the ship itself, but I think the AIDA line livery is really unattractive!  I saw a 1:400 AIDAdiva/luna in the model store when I was back home for Christmas, and I was considering buying it,  while leaving off those lips and squiggles, but I don't like having something incomplete...

On 12/01/2018 at 21:29, Chewitt said:

:cat:That's  superb,I have built the 1/700 for a friend and its a big model :fish:,must be massive in 1/400   :goodjob: 

Oh yes, I've just had a look through your links - does it have railings in that scale?  

At 1:400, it was pretty fiddly!  I have the shakes when I try to do anything delicate with my fingers, so installing the railings was a nightmare!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SaratogaArcadia said:

How many paints   to use  ??  from the  instructions  on the paper  are confusing  i'm building mine soon   

To be honest, there are not a huge number of paints for a kit this big.  I rarely use the exact colours because I have an enormous supply and if I'm missing a few colours, I'm not going to buy an individual paint.

However, if you want to increase the level of detailing, then you can use as many as you like.

For the main parts of the ship, I used:

• Tamiya TS-33 dull red (lower hull)
  • Tamiya TS-55 dark blue (hull above the waterline)
  • Halford's gloss appliance white (superstructure and lifeboats)
  • Humbrol 19 gloss red (funnel)
  • Tamiya AS-16 light grey (forward deck)
  • Humbrol 18 gloss orange (lifeboats).

That's about it really - six paints.

I used Humbrol 47 gloss sea blue for the pools (the supplied decals only provide markings for the bottom of the pools, and I wanted to paint the sides too).

For the glazing, I used Tamiya smoke, to give some contrast, which I think works well.  But this was the first time that I used it, and I don't think the shading is as even as it could be.

The only painting I have left to do is the wood brown handrails around the railings, stairs, and decks.  But I don't have a brush that is fine enough yet.

One thing I'd keep in mind while you're building is that there are no windows on this kit, so I used clear plastic sheet cemented to the insides of the cabins, but it's still possible to see right through the ship.

Hope you enjoy your build!

• 3 years later...
On 15/01/2018 at 18:11, neilg said:

Oh yes, I've just had a look through your links - does it have railings in that scale?  

At 1:400, it was pretty fiddly!  I have the shakes when I try to do anything delicate with my fingers, so installing the railings was a nightmare!

Regarding the balcony cleat railings. I notice they are more detailed (stick out) on one side of them, the other side is more flat if that makes sense? 

Which way around are these supposed to go onto the balconies please :) ?

Kind regards 

5 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

Regarding the balcony cleat railings. I notice they are more detailed (stick out) on one side of them, the other side is more flat if that makes sense? 

Which way around are these supposed to go onto the balconies please :) ?

Kind regards 

Hey.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by balcony cleat.

There are quite a few balconies on this model!

16 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

Sorry, auto correct. It was supposed to say the "clear"part railings :)

Oh I think I see what you mean - one side of the clear part is textured, the other side is smooth?

26 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

Correct. Does the textured side go on the inside? 

I put the textured side out, because this is the side to paint for the frames.

It will be easier to see the balcony frames if these are on the outside.

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I put the textured side out, because this is the side to paint for the frames.

It will be easier to see the balcony frames if these are on the outside.

That is true. I'll look further into this. Thank you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

That is true. I'll look further into this. Thank you. 

I didn't paint the frames myself to be honest - I used Tamiya smoke spray to give a tint, but it also had the effect of highlighting the frames, similar to a panel wash.