On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:00, Mike said:

You are correct young man.  I hope to Beelzebub that someone rectifies that before I get the urge to build it :unsure:

To misquote Frank N Furter, "Don't feel it, just build it". Go on Mike, you know you want to.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, hairystick said:

"Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab!"...:wub:

That pilot looks like something out of an Egyptian tomb. Perhaps a little bit of cosmetic surgery might be required on him as well?

"I see you shiver with antici..................................................................................................................................................................pation".

Martian

• Like 4

Hi chaps, and thank you for the comments. 

To answer a few questions, I think I will be attempting a nmf, as I have some shades of alclad to try out. 

I think the pilot might be beyond redemption as there is a fair amount of mold slippage, resulting in a step that runs right through his center. Might get a replacement from somewhere like pj productions. The bang seat could do with replacing too, had a look in my spares, but haven't got anything. 

I'm going to the huddersfield show in a couple of weeks, so might see if there's something cheap/suitable available. 

Skeet Coleman was indeed a brave man to take on test duties. Mind you, they all were. 

Matt

• Like 1

I'm rather looking forward to seeing more of this, S5 !   This aeroplane fascinates me.  I did a quick search on the Interweb for cockpit photos and one I found mentioned that the seat swivelled to give the pilot a better view of the ground when landing ... Heaven knows how THAT worked!

I'm sympathetic to your banishment from the new table.  I'm banished from anything to do with modelling except from my 'tip' (SWMBO's term) aka my workroom / "home office" / the spare bedroom.  One reason why my modelling output has been about zero for the last year.

Good luck,

Jonny

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, S5 modeller said:Hi chaps. 

Been a while since I updated this build. I have been waiting for the aforementioned book to arrive. I finally have it in my sweaty mitts, so work will recommence shortly. 

Matt

That's GREAT news!

Since my last post I've acquired (astonishly cheaply, given that it was from the USA and includes postage costs), AND also 'the book', sourced from a UK online bookshop.  I've been thinking what to do with it -  the kit, I mean.  It obviously needs a cockpit of sorts, which, in my opinion, means removing the kit's moulded and minimal  "detail" and sourcing something looking a bit like the ejection seat fitted to the aeroplane. I'm planning on a closed cockpit, not as flown by an amazingly brave test pilot.

My kit is an original Lindberg  boxing, which had  the original shrink wrapping.  It has some flash and the decals are rather past it.  I'm looking for suitable replacements including the Convair logo and propellor logos.  

Other than all that ...  I'm almost ready to go.  I hope you (Matt) don't mind if I watch your thread?

Cheers,,

Jonny

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Jonny, the more the merrier. The parts in my kit were rather "flashy" too, and mine is a more recent boxing. Mind you, I found that once the flash is removed, the parts fit together surprisingly well. You're right on the Cockpit, or the lack of, it needs a total refit. What is there, from what I can see, seems to be a total work of fiction. 

There are some good pics in the book, so a reasonable facsimile shouldn't be too hard to reproduce. 

All I can suggest is dive in, and have fun! 

Matt 

Afternoon viewers. 

The final piece of equipment landed on my doorstep this morning... 

DSC_0222

Now work can commencement on the Cockpit. 

I've got a set of excellent airscale instrument decals for the panel... 

DSC_0223

Whilst not strictly accurate for the airframe, they'll add some interest to the non existing panel. 

Should have an update soon. 

Matt

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back mate. Wonderful choice of kit. Also I love Lindberg kits they are just so full of charm and nostalgia.

I have been away for a while too as life took me through some twists and turns dragging me kicking and screaming haha. But I am back now. Only been 3 years !

I have a few Lindys on the stash myself and 2 in a build thread here at the moment.

good Luck I will be watching

Rob :popcorn::pilot:

• Like 1

Hey! Welcome back Rob, it's been quiet here, on the vulcan front, without you. Hope to see you get back to your favorite tin triangles. 

Not been much progress on this build, although work has been ongoing. I've tried making a pair of bulkheads for the Cockpit to sit in between, but I've been struggling. Who would have thought it would be so hard? 

DSC_0228

This is the area I hope to fill. 

DSC_0227

I've used the profile gauge, to make a copy of the fuselage half, and copied onto plastcard.

DSC_0225

All seems well. 

Done the same for the other half, and copied it next to the first side. All should be good, but this is where it all goes pear shaped. No matter how hard I try I can't get the profiles to fit. 

It should, logically, be a simple matter of copying the profile gauge but it never matches up. 

What's happening? 

• Like 4

Presuming youre starting at exactly the same place on both Starboard and port halves of the fuselage. Im thinking along the lines of the original molds might be different on the interior (male) halves. That migh be why you are getting a fit issue ? One fuselage half might be thicker plastic than the other ? 

Im thinking if you take the feeler guage with your starboard profile tape the feelers in place. Then slowly drag it through the same area on the port side you may just find where the issue is. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Well thats great thanks for introducing me to a Profile gauge. Man I need one of those that will solve lots of problems for me. Also thanks for the welcome back and V Bomber Building has resumed.

As for fit issues that again could be pencil thickness try cutting on the inside line instead. Aslo the thickness of the card and the internal curve of the walls of plastic. Try beveling the edge of the part.

keep the good work coming :)

Rob

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Rob, check ebay for the profile gauge, mind cost a little over 2 quid. You can buy the same thing from b&q and such, but about 5 times the price. 

Matt

Thanks matt I have never seen or heard of one but man there are so many times I could have needed one.

Cheers off to the bay now

Rob  :)

• Like 1