My Bilek MIG-21UM Mongol build 1/72 (more added 19/02/18)

Hi all,

A new venture for me. My first WIP posting... ever! I've always been nervous of exposing myself to criticism but encouraged by a well known and regular contributor to Britmodeller I'm giving it a go with my MIG-21UM build, which is running along side three other very different models. I will apologise right now because it will be slow and occasional as I barely get much modelling time let alone time to post how I do/did it! ;) So here goes, and be gentle with an old man.....

The kit is the Bilek MIG-21UM in 1/72. It is as you might expect, rather basic, but having built one previously along with a Kopro equivalent I think it is the only option in this scale, sadly. Its not bad, though. It has fine engraved lines and apart for the shallow dorsal spine it is okay from a shape perspective. I have gathered together a few resin and vac form bits to help the old girl along. This what I have so far and as I start cutting, sanding, cementing, filling and painting I'll post more.

Mongolbuild1

All the best to all,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I neglected to say that I have a decal set for her too... more on that later on.

Martin

I also forgot to say that the Bilek kit has parts for a MIG-21U variant.

Martin

Hi all,

I managed to get a little done on Friday so I'm posting a short update.

As I'm using a Pavla correction/improvement cockpit set (specifically 72032) I need to get the main tub to fit. It needed a little sanding back of the interior side walls of the cockpit as they are moulded quite thickly. I had to include the sill along the edge I this too. Eventually, though, everything seemed to slot in quite nicely. It still slopped around so I needed to add a locating lug glued in to get the tub to sit at the correct spot. I addition I added very thin strips of plasticard along the edges of the sills so that the vac form canopy will have more to adhere to later on. I then cut down the Pavla side wall inserts and stuck them in to give some depth and detail. I'll admit it isn't the best but once the canopy is on I hope it'll be okay. Thereafter I applied some paint. :). I used Colourcoats MIG interior green/turquoise, after priming with Humbrol 1. It is matt. This was my first experience of this paint and I have to say that it went on like a dream.

Mongolbuild2

As you can see, I sprayed the seas too. I used Humbrol 64 for this.

My next challenge will be to get more detail on the overall frame. This will mean the airbrakes and wheel well interiors. For the latter I have the Pavla wheel set. That leaves the two airbrakes. For the front one I intend to cut out the fuselage and build up a plasticard replacement that I can set slightly open. For the rear one I have another solution (I hope) in which I will blend in a more detailed brake and surrounding area from a donor kit. I have a couple of options. More on this as I progress - assuming all goes well.  This is how it is today - very sparse in detail terms.

Mongolbuild3

Well, as I said, it will be slow...... More soon.

Martin

• Like 7

further to my last post, the cockpit is pretty much done. has had a few touches appropriately with silver, red and black and then a swipe or two with Tamiya weathering powders to add some more depth. The seats were painted Humbrol 64, with the seats and head rest painted in a light beige. The straps were painted in Humbrol 140.  

Mongolbuild4

You can see that I've added the obligatory lead shot in the nose. The main wheel wells are installed. I have also cut out the aperture for the forward airbrake, sealing it with plasticard before attempting to detail it. I have also, as you can see, cut out the forward airbrake itself. It needs some strengthening and internal detail yet, although I'm not sure how much to do as it will only be partially open.  

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

Lunchtime and a moment to update you all.

The last time I had cut out the forward brake housing and made up a brake. I now think I might change the brake for one built a little thicker. Still thinking. I have also removed the inner skin and will not insert another after the two fuselage halves are together. That way I will have a surface without a ridge in the centre. The next task, then, is the rear brake. For this I had one option - using one from a Fujimi model - but I had lost one fuselage half of that kit and so I abandoned that  idea. So my solution for getting a more realistic rear airbrake has been to cut out the housing from a Zvezda MIG-21bis. I will then insert this and use the three  airbrake parts from that kit. Yes, a sacrifice but, hey ho, the Zvezdas are two a penny. My Bilek cost me a bit more. Stage one - cut out the Zvezda part and try to match the panel lines on the Bilek. 2) sand to shape. 3) cut out a corresponding section in the Bilek:

Mongolbuild6

Mongolbuild7

Sorry about the blur!

With that done, the jet pipe installed it was time to get the two halves mated:

Mongolbuild8

You can see - I forgot to mention - that I have cut the nose in readiness  for the Pavla intake and radome. I had a little fiddling with the Pavla cockpit bit with a little filing and cutting I got there:

Mongolbuild9

That's about it for today.

Martin

• Like 3

MISTAKE - I've looked and realised that I took the seats in the Pavla set for granted, believing them to be correct. I see now they are Sk.1s and not KM.1s. I now need to break the superglue mountings and replace them. :(. Hey ho!  I've also noticed that the Bilek canopy sits almost level whereas on the actual aircraft it is at a 1-1.5 degree angle, raised rearwards. Hmm.... How am I going to undo my work? ..... Let me think ...... I have a plan!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Mmm.... I got myself over excited about my mistake. On looking again the slight angle is there. My only dilemma now is whether to build up the fuselage to the rear of the cockpit. The kit is a little shallow. I may just live with it. I do need the KM-1 seats, which are now on order...... I checked my Pavla set and it turns out that I used a Mongol-A set. I am a Fool!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Little time this weekend but I managed to hook the seats out:

Mongolbuild10

and blanked the forward airbrake well again. THis time with a flat piece so that it'll take the central "triangular" section that I need to re-insert as part of the brake surroundings. The rear brake housing is now installed and needs some filling.

Mongolbuild11

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Thanks Giorgio.

I have now remade the front airbrake with thicker plasticard. I think its okay. I'll see as I go. I have also dropped in the "triangular" separator from the airbrake housing. As I did previously, and using a technique I read on one of SabreJet's posts, I rounded the front airbrake with it taped to a socket and then held over steam. It seems to work.

Mongolbuild12

Mongolbuild13

From the next image you can see that the fin is on, as is the Pavla nose intake. I am a bit concerned about the latter as it is very fragile. After this photo I taped on a foam protector, hoping that will keep it in one piece. Here she is as of today:

Mongolbuild14

The KM-1 seats arrived today. I've given them their first coat of grey :).

I'm away for a few days now so nothing more will happen until the weekend.

All the best,

Martin

• Like 2

Back a little early and so, as I have a little rest time .....

The wings are on but there are some huge gaps. I've filled here and there with plastic rod. I'll set about applying some Squadron Products White Putty soon. I'll fill all the gaps in one go a little later. For now I need to get the canopy on and sealed, then the ventral fin. There are equivalent gaps on the dorsal fin so the same treatment will apply.  

Mongol15

The KM-1 seats are all painted and installed. The canopy is also now on. I used "Formula 560" Canopy glue and a little Micro Kristal Klear. It'll need a bit of touching up here and there. 

Mongol18

I've spent a little time drawing the paint masks. Normally I'd either use proprietary masks or apply tape and cut against the framing. Unfortunately the framing on this vac form is not well defined. So, I've snatched an image from the net and drew it myself in 1/72 (as there isn't a 1/72 one available on the market). The tricky bit is then the cutting out!

Mongol16

More soon....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 26 January 2018 at 11:40 AM, RidgeRunner said:

The KM-1 seats are all painted and installed. The canopy is also now on. I used "Formula 560" Canopy glue and a little Micro Kristal Klear. It'll need a bit of touching up here and

The canopy is off again :(. I realised I had not painted the cockpit coaming! Also I realised that the vac form canopy was not prepared correctly. So, today I got a sanding stick out, the paint opened and I'm getting her back on track :). 

Martin

A bit of progress. The canopy is back on :).

mongol19

Mongol20

Mongol21

I have also added the wing fences, the under-wing pylons and the ventral fin.  I will need to give the canopy a second round of adhesive/filler once this is dry, to smooth out the lines. At the moment there are still gaps. All fixable, though. Once done, and probably in a week or so - as I am away for work this week - I will be filling all round with Squadron Products White Putty. Once sanded and okay I'll add the various scoops, etc.

As I said from the outset, this is a slow build.. sorry. I'm just itching to get the airbrush out! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hi Giorgio,

They are not cut yet - that's the tricky part. I've also thought that they may not match the canopy. Certainly some of the outlines are not absolutely accurate, I have discovered. May be work for nothing :(. I may try another method - still thinking....

If they work I will happily send to anyone who is interested. Let me try first :)

Best regards,

Martin

Do you like my makeshift stand, @Giorgio n? I discovered an old business card box fits perfectly :). It even has semi-circular cutouts to take the fuselage and then the wings sit perfectly :). 

When i get back i need to get all the fiddly extras done once filled and sanded, such as the scoops, the obvious hinges on the starboard dide of the canopy, etc. Being slow like this isn't good for me - i am too impatient! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Typos

On 30 January 2018 at 10:51 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Do you like my makeshift stand, @Giorgio n? I discovered an old business card box fits perfectly :). It even has semi-circular cutouts to take the fuselage and then the wings sit perfectly :). 

When i get back i need to get all the fiddly extras done once filled and sanded, such as the scoops, the obvious hinges on the starboard dide of the canopy, etc. Being slow like this isn't good for me - i am too impatient! 

Martin

The 

Getting there slowly... very slowly.

A lot of filling done and initial sanding. I've then given her a few blows of the airbrush with Humbrol 1 so that I can see the areas that need attention. Once done it'll be scoops, setting locations for the dorsal aerial, etc, drilling out the holes for the IFF on the fin and under the nose.

Before airbrushing I tried my home made masks for the windscreen and side quarters. I think they worked okay. In the absence of anything on the market and the framing being very shallow this was really my only option. What did I do? Well:

1. I grabbed an image off the net of a 1/48 masking set.

2. converted it to 1/72

3. highlighted the edges

4. stuck wide Tamiya tape on to an OHP sheet and printed on to that

5. cut out the shapes with a new scalpel blade

6. removed the backing OHP sheet and applied the masks

They needed a little tweaking but nothing much. I'll tidy with a hairy stick once finished. 

For the main canopies I used tape and then trimmed the corners.

Mongol22

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

Hi all,

Sorry - I did say it would be slow and, to be honest, not the most interesting thread. Hey ho!

A little more done. After a second round of filling and sanding I've now added the various scoops. These are mainly from a Quickboost set (QB 72 228) but I had to add a couple from the kit as the set is for a fighter variant and the U/US/UM had a couple more at the base of the fin. I drilled out the inlets in the kit scoops. I added the Angle of Attack indicator on the port nose, and installed the rear airbrake housing from the Zvezda MIG-21bis kit. The fit was a bit tricky but I got there. I also drilled out the holes for the Khrom IFF antennas on the fin and under the nose. Later I'll add the antennas - probably by robbing my broom again. ;)

Mongol24

Next came the bit we all can't wait for - the painting.... :). She has had the Di-electic panels painted green. The jet housing outer has a nice coat of Humbrol 27002. The rear of the intake has had a Matt black coat to give it some depth. I'll give it final dusting with a black spotted with white before the underside gets its new coat. Now she needs to dry and then next time it'll be masking the Di-electrics, intake and jet housing ready for the next outing of the airbrush......

I'm still not 100% confident about the canopy masks but I think I'll run with them and see how it all turns out.

Mongol23

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

I haven't said, of course, what scheme she will be in. Well, camo will be the order of the day - light blue-grey undersides and a green, brown and tan upper..... Saying no more until I'm sure it'll turn out okay....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

STOP PRESS - the front end canopy mask came off today! I wasn't happy with it so I opted for new front quarters made by employing the time proven method of apply masking tape over the section, drawing the shape, removing the tape and cutting the piece with a new scalpel blade and then re-applying. The central windscreen has now come from an Eduard MIG-21F mask set after I discovered that it had the same size :). I'm much happier now.

The underside coat goes on on Monday :) ..... Finally ;)

Martin