British Phantoms

raguk

Phantom help needed!!

Just embarking on the route to a couple of Brit Phantoms using the 1/48th Hase kits.

I want to build an FGR2 but only have a couple of boxings of the Fg1.

What do I need to change?

I seem to remember something about the rear horizontal tails being different if so are these able to be "Borrowed" from another Hase F4 Kit.

Thanks in advance

RG

• Like 1

I just finished the Fg. 1 kit a couple of months ago. I believe the parts are in the box for the marconi RWR box on top of tail. Thats what i used. And the two horizontal blades are also in the box. Of course the kit also comes wth the standard early non marconi fin top as well. Im not 100% sure but i think that covers the vertical. Im also pretty sure the horizontal Stabilizers were the same. Im not sure if there are any other antennaes not included but i think its all in the box.  Hope this helps. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

The horizontal tails on the FG.1 are slotted, and on the FGR.2 are unslotted, so you need to remove the slots. Just carve them off, as on the real A/C they were bolted on. The nose gear leg is different, but there may be the correct (single oleo) version with the kit, not sure though. The front door on the nose gear is different, the FG.1 has a small round light, and 3 small lights, while the FGR.2 has 2 square lights. Again, the correct one may be with the kit. The cockpit is basically the same. The fintop RWR is applicable to both RN and RAF, as they were added when 892 still used the FG.1. Check references for the timeframe you are interested in. Later on the Phantoms gained a strengthening strap under the fuselage, which was added for the SUU-23A pod I believe, which the RN never used.

The cockpit is much the same.

The RAF later put in a periscope for the Nav to use to ID targets, these were "borrowed" from the Chieftain tank. Again, a photo of the aircraft you want to build is best.

If you need anything else, just holler.

Ted

• Like 2

The most obvious changes,

Use the compressed nose u/c leg from the kit and remove the extending links on the aft edge of the leg

Fill in the three deck approach lights in the nose u/c door

Fill / make smooth the underwing depressions for the catapult hooks

Remove the tailplane slats by cutting/sanding down to the basic tailplane structure

Later the aircraft gained two distinctive ILS aerials on each side of the upper fin

There are some further, very minor harder to spot differences if you are really fussy,

The panel work at the leading edge of the fin is different as the FGR.2 fin houses a HF aerial

Slight panelwork changes in the aft fuselage structure

This is a very good reference for illustrating these changes, http://phantomphacts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html

I can't remember what you get with the kit, as some of the FGR.2 minor bits might be include, can look later.

I've never seen two square lights on an FGR.2 nose door, they are usually the same as the FG.1 door, just the one main light

1.Set-43-Phantom-FGR-2-RAF-41Sqn-XV494-L

• Like 4

Hi Gents,

Thanks for al they help, I just need to build them!

Of course I will share them with you.

@Ted  Are you at Bolton this year if so catch up with you then

Thanks once more

Rick G

• Like 1

11 hours ago, raguk said:

Hi Gents,

Thanks for al they help, I just need to build them!

Of course I will share them with you.

@Ted  Are you at Bolton this year if so catch up with you then

Thanks once more

Rick G

Sorry I can't make Bolton this year, but I will be at Huddersfield if you get there.

Ted.

I think I have a set of un-slotted FGR-2 tail planes in my spares box.

Let me have a look.

Would you care to swap them for some slotted ones?

I also have the blanks for the cat hooks as spare parts too I think and the correct nose wheel door.

Give me a couple of days to get home & have a rummage.  I'm back from sea on Wednesday.