Return to BM Spitfires Hurricane Revell etc 1/32 Modelling Binge

7 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Keith, I was really thinking of "Mk.II to Mk.I", not "Revell whatever to Mk.I"!

Sorry Bob, I don't get you - wouldn't the kit need the same changes as the real ones? Was my 'research' the same as usual - i.e. rubbish??!! :lol:

And I agree, Rob's a bad influence, I've just been & got my kit down off the shelf to see what state I'd left it in. Still sneezing from all the dust that came off it! Think I may be doing a bit of fiddling with it tomorrow too! :D

Keith

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Was my 'research' the same as usual - i.e. rubbish??!!

No, Revell's was.  They modeled it after a warbird, thus the prop blades that aren't shaped like any Spitfire prop, the Mk.V oil cooler, the metal-skinned ailerons. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

No, Revell's was.  They modeled it after a warbird, thus the prop blades that aren't shaped like any Spitfire prop, the Mk.V oil cooler, the metal-skinned ailerons. 

Ah gotcha, thanks Bob!

Keith

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Keith, I was really thinking of "Mk.II to Mk.I", not "Revell whatever to Mk.I"!

Incidentally, I'm not blaming you, Rob, but I've started fiddling with an Airfix 1/48 Mk.I- though it might become a Va, unless I come up with some other idea.  I think I figured out how to deal with the gear legs, but the truth will come out in the final act.  (Ooh, come to think of it, I've thought before that the early civilian Mk.II/Va "Josephine" would be a nifty build, but then I'd have to deal with special decals, etc.  Still....)

Sound good I am still yet to try Airfix new Spits in 48th, The only one on the stash so far is the MK12. Sure there is someone on here who can help make decals for you. I think Perdu can do it, Not sure but worth an ask. :)

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry Bob, I don't get you - wouldn't the kit need the same changes as the real ones? Was my 'research' the same as usual - i.e. rubbish??!! :lol:

And I agree, Rob's a bad influence, I've just been & got my kit down off the shelf to see what state I'd left it in. Still sneezing from all the dust that came off it! Think I may be doing a bit of fiddling with it tomorrow too! :D

Keith

I am happy to be a bad influence. Lets see where your at with yours mate :)

17 hours ago, gingerbob said:

When you say Warbird I am assuming that means a preserved one with the wrong prop fitted ?

Cheers Rob.

Well I am still working inside this one but I am about to close it. Just got to fit the decals for the instrument panel and one clear part at the front I think its the sight. Then I can button it up and hopefully have a spitthingy looking type thing. :)

I given it a few more coats of interior green, added some black silver and brown details then washed it over with citadel sepia wash. I am not to sure how accurate this is but i will be having it with the canopy closed so not much will be seen this time.

I used Revell Aqua Tar Black this is nice being slightly greyish catches the light a bit better (hopefully)

25077080157_dabac7cce5_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39916425762_f1789edd57_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39948420921_81ac3199c9_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39050390835_3e8bbc2acd_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26075909898_bc83fa3bf3_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Fun to finally attack something with the Hairy Stick again Ooo err..

:)

• Like 9

Just now, John Laidlaw said:

Good to see you back, Rob! Lovely work so far... I am following along for the ride.

Many thanks John its great to be back and even better to see so many of are still active on here. I have missed this so much :)

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Well thats the decals on. Just need to glue two more pieces on (and ignore the most smallest one which fell on the carpet)

Then I can shut it up :)

26078515288_75d3a453f8_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

28171506929_ee8e4d4992_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

25079896127_6873607d57_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

Cheers Rob  :)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Lovely work as always Rob. The cockpit looks superb.

Many thanks mate. I am glad it went ok its bad 3 years away and im like wow im out of practice with this. Shakey hands and tiny pieces. Either that or age is starting to kick in.

All the best Rob :)

Looking good Rob, after an 8 month break from modelling I'm feeling my way back into kit bashing so you are doing pretty well considering your 3 year break.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Looking good Rob, after an 8 month break from modelling I'm feeling my way back into kit bashing so you are doing pretty well considering your 3 year break.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis. I really cant belive its 3 years. It seems like a few weeks. Since I joined my band its just been Gigs,Work, Writing, Recording and repeat. Fun but hard work. Now I find myself in the band but Jobless thanks to a change of management. So I figured I would get back on here.

19 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Good to see you active again.  I don't visit here as often as I used to myself.

Not a Vulcan this time?

David

Hi David nice to hear from you and glad your still here. There are still plenty of Vulcans to come that I have not finished yet but I needed to do something non Vulcan for a bit. got this , A Revell Spitfire Mk22/24, Hunter, Harrier, Hurricane and Academy Sopwith Camel in 32nd to do. Fancy a go at some larger stuff and things my Dad can enjoy also.

As for Vulcans there is the Frog Vulcan Project which is still on going but thats gonna take ages.

6 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Good to see you back on the forum Rob.

Many thanks mate thank for the welcome back and glad your still here with everyone else. I have missed this place. Really hope I can get to some shows this year.

Cheers Rob  :)

Well finaly its at this stage. Took some convincing though. Sadly mine is a bit warped on the fuelage halves but not too bad.

Its gonna need a bit of filler but with what I usually build this aint so bad.

Not long now till the paint stage I hope. Just got to wait for a delivery of paint masks and other bits and bobs from the big H and Wonderland Models

39075058235_73b40553c7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

39075062385_507fb0b030_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

In between doing this I have managed to get my Dakota together which has been in pieces since 3 years ago....

28193348879_be09653fd0_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

hopefully ill knock all these unfinished kits into shape soon too :)

:dalek1:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good grief Rob, you've made more progress on your Spit in three days than I have on mine in three years!

Great stuff! Dak is looking good too!! 

Keith

Cheers Keith. Yep throwing it together haha. All the best Rob :)

It looks as though the away time has not had too much effect Rob, you have still done more in the last few days than I would managed in three weeks. Your Dak is coming along nicely as well, more of the same please. I must say that I am missing the mid-morning coffee fix though. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

It looks as though the away time has had too much effect Rob, you have still done more in the last few days than I would managed in three weeks. Your Dak is coming along nicely as well, more of the same please. I must say that I am missing the mid-morning coffee fix though. :winkgrin:

Cheers mate I'm getting back into it now I even built up a sopwith pup in between. The warping on the spit slowed me down a little so thought I'd get on with others in between. 

Cant wait to get the Dak finished some cans of Tamika usaf olive drab and neutral grey just arrived for it so won't be long now :)

cheers Rob :)

Well its update time. Its not much of an update as I have been fighting the Spitfire a little. I did say I wanted this a warm up to get back into the swing of things but I was unlucky to get a warped kit wasnt I !, Well I guess I got exactly what I wanted then.

I have had to make up parts for the control surcace attachments that where missing, Bend control surfaces to shape. Split the flaps and then bend and glue in place because of the distortion created by the fuselage...

But...

Its getting there and my inspiration is not lacking. I decided to go grab the old Revell 1/32 kit of the MK1 I built as  kid to put with this and compare to the modern Revell kit as I remember that being much easier going than this one and a very tidy looking spit.

They say you cant have too many Spits and this current binge on 1/32 is becoming a thing for me, There will be hopefully in the coming months a 32nd Spit mk1, mk2, mk22, with a Hurricane MK1, Sopwith Camel. I even got some Figures and  pooch to go with them.

this is it so far.

25137880097_0a273eebe6_z.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I also had some more stuff come in the post today from the Big H.

39110740065_a6229ae469_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

And in between fighting this spit I overcome a fear of mine,... BIPLANES. this is my first ever a lovely Sopwith Pup and actually it was very enjoyable and easy to do. Speaking of that just need to paint it and get the EZ Line out. Cant wait as I have always loved the WW1 stuff so cant wait to get stuck into the stash. :)

39110662065_4e93b391f5_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

I am also starting to get on with builds that where stalled since 3 years ago like my Novo Lanc and yet another damn Vulcan hahaha.

39110967845_9d0c8fe2fc_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

26136304408_2a34099fe7_k.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

So more later after some food and a beer :)

Rob :)

• Like 7

Crikey Rob 

You have got a lot on there.  They all look good.  I have the Spitfire mk IIa to build hopefully soon along with some resin additions so will be watching with interest.  I too have been away for just over a year and am catching up. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1