Return to BM Spitfires Hurricane Revell etc 1/32 Modelling Binge

Well its been a very long time since I logged in here sadly. I have been ridiculously busy the past few years and I have not done any modelling since my Italeri Sterling Mk1 back in 2015 !.,

Suffering major withdrawl and missing all the model shows since then and the company of the wonderful BM. I decided to use my Hobby Craft Christmas Voucher on this lovely kit.

39617829352_1353f90962_k.jpgNew Year new model :) by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

It seems much has changed and that all of my threads are totally ruined thanks the Cyber Criminals that are Photobucket holding my account to ransom of 399.99 ! To get all my links back. Outrageous. All the information out there by us lot and many others lost to greed. What a sad state of affairs that is.

So I opened  a Flickr account and hope that serves me better.

I can see the layout here has changed alot so I will have to get used to that.

I love Spitfires and enjoyed making my Dads Hobbyboss Spitfire MKVb so much I was itching to have my own BOB era one to sit next to it.

I am getting rather into 1/32 scale I just purchased a Spitfire MK22/24 too so this might end up being a two bird build again.

I also Purchased a Hunter and Harrier in 1/32. Nice scale to work with.

Right then lets see how this kit turns out. So far im planning to do it out of box but I have some additional decals from Hannants so ... Lets go :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 11

Nice to see you back with another Spitfire build, I enjoyed the Hobbyboss one so I'm in for the ride on this one, I built one of the Revell Mk.II kits last year and really enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hey Rob, nice to see you back.

Hope you have a good build, I'll tag along, if I may?

Cheers,

Stew

Hey dude great to see your still here and sure be great to have you on board thanks for the wecome back :) 

cheers Rob 

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Nice to see you back with another Spitfire build, I enjoyed the Hobbyboss one so I'm in for the ride on this one, I built one of the Revell Mk.II kits last year and really enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis nice to see your here still and remeber the Vb hope your well and this build is gonna be fun. Might well add in the Revell 1/32 spitfire mk22/24 when it arrives can't wait :) 

cheers Rob :) 

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Welcome back Rob,and a great kit to return with too!

Hey dude thanks so much for the welcome back and I agree nowt better to return to the BM massive than a Spitfire. Now I need to get the glue out :)

Edited by robvulcan

3 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

Hey dude thanks so much for the welcome back and I agree nowt better to return to the BM massive than a Spitfire. Now I need to get the glue out :)

Please tell me you don't mean Revell's ex matchbox mk 22/24 Rob,Ive just built it for the Matchbox GB and I'm still recovering!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robvulcan said:

P7434. Does anyone know where I might find photos of this spitfire ?

no.  BoB Mk.II's are very rarely photographed.   The only pic from the era I know of is of a 266 Sq plane, and that's a still from a film.

detail of P7434 from here

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p004.html

P7434 IIa   CBAF MXII 8MU 23-9-40 19S 26-9-40 308S 3-7-41 315S 21-7-41 610S 11-9-41 340S 'GW-U' 28-1-42 53OTU 7-4-42 MM 31-7-42 39MU nea 21-11-44 SOC 1-6-45

if you want a documented 19 Spitfire,  get a De Havilland prop and do this Mk.I,    I suspect that the decals for P7434 are  based on the below image and a logbook or squadron records.

@lasermonkey  may know as he was collating Spitfire photos on PB (still viewable with a embed fix  in Firefox  and Chrome BTW)

or @gingerbob may know.

spitfire-take-off.jpg

and good to see you back Rob :)

HTH

T

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Welcome back Rob,and a great kit to return with too!

Hey Steve thanks for the welcome back and yep this kit is amazing value for money. Hats off to Revell with this one. The Beaufighter has caught my eye too. :)

16 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Please tell me you don't mean Revell's ex matchbox mk 22/24 Rob,Ive just built it for the Matchbox GB and I'm still recovering!

haha yep it be that one. I hear some say its not so bad others say if horrible and im sure its gonna be fun whatever.

:)

16 hours ago, Alan P said:

Welcome back Rob, and don't get me started on Photob*cket :raincloud: 10 years of work in progress build blogs, gone.

Alan

Hi Alan thanks very much and yep I am gutted about Photobucket. All the effort I put into my posts for others to share what I have done and the memories. all gone. I hope that there is a change in management at Photobucket its a disgrace. Surely someone with some brains will take over there soon one can hope. Though it seems we live in an age with idiots at the top of every government and profession. The age of idiocy.

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

no.  BoB Mk.II's are very rarely photographed.   The only pic from the era I know of is of a 266 Sq plane, and that's a still from a film.

detail of P7434 from here

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p004.html

if you want a documented 19 Spitfire,  get a De Havilland prop and do this Mk.I,    I suspect that the decals for P7434 are  based on the below image and a logbook or squadron records.

@lasermonkey  may know as he was collating Spitfire photos on PB (still viewable with a embed fix  in Firefox  and Chrome BTW)

or @gingerbob may know.

spitfire-take-off.jpg

and good to see you back Rob :)

HTH

T

Hi mate long time no speak and thanks for that. I saw this pick and it confused me as it has the same code but a different serial. My knowledge on this is lacking.

I wanted photos to just see if the real one was A or B scheme as Ideally I wanted to mirror the Vb i made. and have a mk 2 with a black nose and the normal green brown sky scheme just a plane old spit.

thanks for the welcome back :)

14 hours ago, Rob G said:

Welcome back Rob, and you've arrived in fine style, too.

(It would've been more stylish if you were doing a Hurricane, but oh well ;) )

I'll sit in the corner and watch.

Thanks very much and I actually was looking for an old Revell Hurricane initially but could not resist this. I will be doing one soon if i can locate a recent one with nice decals for a good price. that reisue one looks good.

cheers :)

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, a photo of P7434 (according to the caption) about five down on this page, but not with 19 Squadron.  I wonder if that decal profile might have confused the (or rather, 'a') BofB QVoI (as Troy shows) with the serial.

hmm inreresting I wonder seems there may end up being a certain amount of modellers licence with this one. I just want a decent looking spit for the shelf not gonna go crazy on it but if i can get the research material I may put more into it. Even if its a different airframe. Just a MK2 with a black nose and starndard scheme is all im after.

Cheers all and soon some more progress pics. at the moment im in the cup of tea and contemplation stage of the build haha :)

Rob :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad to see you Rob!

Looking forward to your Spitfire.

There are links to browser plug-ins that allow you to still see Photobucket pics in this thread. Mine are starting to quit working though.

Hey there its good to be back and thanks for the welcome back. Wow really ill have to check that out. I was paying a small amount monthly too because I had so many pictures on there. I was happy to as well but 399.99 !!!! NO way.

Cheers Rob:)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

Haha yep it be that one. I hear some say its not so bad others say if horrible and im sure its gonna be fun whatever.

Though it seems we live in an age with idiots at the top of every government and profession. The age of idiocy.

Ah yes, meant to say, "Good to see you again!"

Comment 1: No Rob, it really is horrible- just imagine a new 1/32 Trumpeter/Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.22 for shape fidelity, with 1970's molding technologies and finesse.  Still, "real modelers" can do amazing things.  Speaking of which, go find "Airscale's" scratch Spitfire XIV, if you haven't been aware of it...

Comment 2: Yeah.  Having been a failure in terms of breadwinning and career development, I'm now contemplating entering politics!

bob

p.s. If I think to, I'll try to have a poke around about BofB vintage Mk.IIs, but I do know that the subject has come up before with little (not nothing) to show for it.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad to see you Rob!

Looking forward to your Spitfire.

There are links to browser plug-ins that allow you to still see Photobucket pics in this thread. Mine are starting to quit working though.

wow it seem to have worked. wow. now I can actually see where I was at with the myriad of un-finished builds I have on the go here. cheers so much dude :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Ah yes, meant to say, "Good to see you again!"

Comment 1: No Rob, it really is horrible- just imagine a new 1/32 Trumpeter/Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.22 for shape fidelity, with 1970's molding technologies and finesse.  Still, "real modelers" can do amazing things.  Speaking of which, go find "Airscale's" scratch Spitfire XIV, if you haven't been aware of it...

Comment 2: Yeah.  Having been a failure in terms of breadwinning and career development, I'm now contemplating entering politics!

bob

p.s. If I think to, I'll try to have a poke around about BofB vintage Mk.IIs, but I do know that the subject has come up before with little (not nothing) to show for it.

HAHA sounds like im in for a treat then. Most of what I build is old kits anyways so I will possibly be quite at home with that.

yep it sure seems thats how a lot enter politics in my expirence. Usually starts out as a Governer at a school :)

Cheers Rob

52 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Good to see you back at the bench Rob, I look forward to watching your progress.

Hey man great to hear from you I have really missed you lot and modelling its so good to be back. I cant believe its been 3 damn years my god what happened.

Thought a spit was the perfect way to return.

All the best Rob :)

• Like 1

Well, haven't gotten to the books yet, but while pinned by a relaxing cat (he's relaxing- I'm wondering how soon the two cups of coffee are going to hit bottom) I looked for those previous Britmodeller threads I hinted at.

First- has a couple of photos, not much discussion.  Note: NOT photos of your particular aircraft.

Second- a further photo, not much talk, and link to:

Third- I did a summary of BofB Mk.II users.

OK cat, time's up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, haven't gotten to the books yet, but while pinned by a relaxing cat (he's relaxing- I'm wondering how soon the two cups of coffee are going to hit bottom) I looked for those previous Britmodeller threads I hinted at.

First- has a couple of photos, not much discussion.  Note: NOT photos of your particular aircraft.

Second- a further photo, not much talk, and link to:

Third- I did a summary of BofB Mk.II users.

OK cat, time's up!

Thanks mate. My cat is alway pinning me down too. Cats rock.

I am confused by the code being QVI and seeming to be on a mk1 and mk2 with 2 different registration numbers. I am dont know if mk1s where modded to mk2 or if mk2s where new builds. Did the identity pass or do the codes pass from airframe to airframe.

I am just trying to work out if its an A or B scheme spitfire. I would like to do a B scheme one as my Vb is an A scheme so would be nice to make them mirror each other in that respect.

I hear some say that odd and even numbers make a differece here but its not always that simple as the B scheme was phased out apparently.

Seems spits are a bit of a mine field.

I found these pictures online but even though its QVI its not P7434 It is instead.

This shows QVI to be a MK1 of 19 sqn.

24816088537_02989eeea0_b.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

This shows QVI but I cant see the registry.

27906500259_8fb2fc3ac7_b.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

and again.

38787085075_12b18549e5.jpgUntitled by Rob Hayes, on Flickr

If it is a MK1 I wonder what external changes need to be made. MK1 and MK2 look very similar to me except the ones that have the more bulbouse rotol nose cone.

Cheers Rob :)

Both of those are probably X4474, as Troy showed in another photo above.  Individual letters changed frequently- there are, after all, only 26 (less some not normally used) to work with.  Sometimes a pilot (especially a 'leader') might have a particular preference- A as first in alphabet, same letter as last name, some other habit/tradition.  If an aircraft got damaged/destroyed or sent away, the next replacement would (typically) take on that vacant letter, etc.  Naturally if, say, Mk.Is got replaced by Mk.IIs, there would be a whole new generation of individual identities.

To get to a Mk.I from your Mk.II, you need to change the prop (which that kit "requires" anyway) and leave off/sand off the Coffman starter blister on the starboard cowl.  There, done!  Well, there's also a new small hole on the starboard cowl (for the hand-turning gear) and a hatch for the ground-power (wrong term) plug instead of one to access the Coffman starter, but that's only if you're really fussy.  Also detail differences in the cockpit, again if you're fussy about such things.

Edit: I don't keep A/B scheme info in my head.  I'm sure you can find either during the Battle of Britain period, though possibly not on Mk.IIs.  Safest thing is to find an example (photos of...) with the pattern you want!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2018 at 14:16, gingerbob said:

Both of those are probably X4474, as Troy showed in another photo above.  Individual letters changed frequently- there are, after all, only 26 (less some not normally used) to work with.  Sometimes a pilot (especially a 'leader') might have a particular preference- A as first in alphabet, same letter as last name, some other habit/tradition.  If an aircraft got damaged/destroyed or sent away, the next replacement would (typically) take on that vacant letter, etc.  Naturally if, say, Mk.Is got replaced by Mk.IIs, there would be a whole new generation of individual identities.

To get to a Mk.I from your Mk.II, you need to change the prop (which that kit "requires" anyway) and leave off/sand off the Coffman starter blister on the starboard cowl.  There, done!  Well, there's also a new small hole on the starboard cowl (for the hand-turning gear) and a hatch for the ground-power (wrong term) plug instead of one to access the Coffman starter, but that's only if you're really fussy.  Also detail differences in the cockpit, again if you're fussy about such things.

Edit: I don't keep A/B scheme info in my head.  I'm sure you can find either during the Battle of Britain period, though possibly not on Mk.IIs.  Safest thing is to find an example (photos of...) with the pattern you want!

Thanks for the info. Perhaps as this build progresses I might find another identity which looks how I want to model this. Not bothered if its a mk 1 or 2 , just would like one with the pointy nose in black, basic brown green camo with sky undersides, the large underwing roundels, a plane jane haha,

nowt fancy just a good looking spit in the iconic scheme.

Cheers Rob :)