We need your vote ! Stranger on the Town: foreign gear and people in British service or use - Now running for a 2020 slot

Giorgio N

18 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Off the top of my head:

USA 'Tanks' - 0-6-0 dock locomotives

Swiss Gas Turbine, 1960s (one off)

Class 50, 66, 67

None of these are available as kits, as far as I know, in 1/76.

Various Fireless Steam Locomotives - kits were available in 1/76, some might be suitable.

Michelin Road-railer; LMS trials, very rare kit.

Rolling stock: various modern stuff; I don't know what might be available, not my period

I think there were numbers of WWI surplus American narrow gauge wagons in use somewhere.

Stretching things a bit for SF: Angel Interceptor (Pilots with plummy English accents)...

All those railway subjects would be great ! Ok, I know we only have a few railway modellers on the site but I'd love to see some in this GB

More later on the SF side...

18 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

But not Angles/Saxons/Jutes?  Apart from the Romans, those other groups form a significant part of the English identity.

Strictly speaking, in a historical context, British means Welsh and Cornish.  Ethnically, Bretons also count.

I did think about the various Germanic/Norse tribes that invaded and then settled in Britain. I even thought about the Norman invaders of 1066. Yes, they were all foreigners in a certain moment in time even if later became part of the British identity. For these, I would say that they are eligible if represented at a time when they could be seen as "foreigners". So I'd say that Angles, Saxons and Jutes are eligible when represented at the time of their migration and conquest of Britain, at the same time an Anglo-Saxon warrior fighting against the Great Heathen Army in the IX Century would not be eligible as by then he would have been a "local". Same for the Normans, a Norman warrior in 1066 would have been a foreigner, a century later however he'd have been a local. This of course excludes personalities that were of foreign birth.

On the same subject, I may add that I would see the various scandinavian armies that settled for short periods on British soil as eligible too, since these were afterall foreigners.

Now I don't know how many figures of such subjects would be entered in this GB, it would be great however to see some ! Even more if the modeller also adds some information on the subject so that we can all learn a bit.

5 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Categories: I found some more.

Myth and Legend: Lancelot from the Arthurian Cycle

Straight forward fiction: Simon Templar's Volvo, from 'The Saint'

Fantasy: Stuck, I'm afraid. Edit:  No I'm not!  There was a cheesy TV series in the same mould as 'Xena' (may have been part of the same storytelling universe) about Celts.  I saw little of it - excessive cringe factor - but among the villains was a Roman ex-Centurion.

And a kosher SF build: a Dalek, from the Dr Who story set during WWII, in which Churchill has some Dalek allies.

I also recall a BBC Radio play in which a saucer is recovered from Nazi Germany at the war's end and taken for flight testing. (Was it 'Slipstream' by Simon Bovey?)

Some good sugestions here ! I'd say the Volvo is a definite yes, foreign car used in Britain so no problem here. Don't know about Arthur and his knights, as nobody knows where they came from they may well be British. Sure there may be some character in the saga that was absolutely from another land, one of these would be eligible. Well, the French knights in Monty Python and the Holy Grail are sure eligible, their accent alone makes them foreign enough ! :lol:

I'm not familiar with the TV series you mention, but if a character is from outside Britain then it's fine for me.

Now Doctor Who.... in a sense the character of the Doctor himself is a foreigner, he's an alien afterall. At the same time Doctor Who is so ingrained into British culture that it's hard to see him as someone not British. The same could be said of the many enemies, although Daleks as allies of Churchill sounds quite interesting as a subject and may well work for the GB.Any other human character in the series who is not British would also eligible I'd say, he would be a foreigner in a British produced TV series

Edited by Giorgio N

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't know about Arthur and his knights, as nobody knows where they came from they may well be British. Sure there may be some character in the saga that was absolutely from another land, one of these would be eligible. Well, the French knights in Monty Python and the Holy Grail are sure eligible, their accent alone makes them foreign enough ! :lol:

I'm not familiar with the TV series you mention, but if a character is from outside Britain then it's fine for me.

Now Doctor Who.... in a sense the character of the Doctor himself is a foreigner, he's an alien afterall. At the same time Doctor Who is so ingrained into British culture that it's hard to see him as someone not British. The same could be said of the many enemies, although Daleks as allies of Churchill sounds quite interesting as a subject and may well work for the GB.Any other human character in the series who is not British would also eligible I'd say, he would be a foreigner in a British produced TV series

Sir Lancelot is identified as from overseas.  If you discount the Hollywood-favoured theory about the Round Table being former Roman troops (most of us do) that leaves the Celtic natives.

Normans and Angevins were still French speaking for a couple of generations, at least, but we don't model accents...  Purrheps in a manneur of speaking, after a snifteur of the good French Cognac, ne c'est pas monsieur? 

I forgot the Doctor!  Pertwee, during the UNIT period.  But that was a UN organisation, so I wouldn't be too sure...

Edited by Chillidragon
  • Like 1

A superb idea Giorgio. I will happily join in while I wait to find out the implications of March(?) 2019. A British captured Volksjager for me. Recently got the decals so good timing. I'm off to check if any U-Boats made it into British service as a second entry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

A superb idea Giorgio. I will happily join in while I wait to find out the implications of March(?) 2019. A British captured Volksjager for me. Recently got the decals so good timing. I'm off to check if any U-Boats made it into British service as a second entry.

Glad you like the idea ! I've added your name to the list. The captured He.162 sounds good and a Uboat would be a very interesting and unusual choice. I'm sure I've read that Britain received a number of U-boats after WW2 and used them for trials, IIRC one captured German sub was even used operationally by the Royal Navy during the war

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I'm off to check if any U-Boats made it into British service as a second entry

Well there's a Type VIIC - HMs/m Graph and the Type XXI tested post war as HMs/m N41

So there's a couple to be going on with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread as we haven't had new interested parties in a while ! Anyone else interested in building a model of something foreign serving in Britain ? This GB would be open to any type of model, aircrafts, military vehicles, cars and trucks, trains, figures.... any taker ?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Bumping this up as "election day" is getting closer...

Just to remind everyone of what this GB would be about, the idea is to build any foreign built or designed aircraft, tank, car, truck, ship in British markings of some kind, be it military or civilian.

At the same time the GB will also include British machines with foreign crews, one example being the many Czech, Polish, French and other pilots who served in the RAF during WW2.

There would be a lot of potential subjects here ! A few examples ?
An RAF Phantom ? Eligible !

A 112 Squadron Tomahawk with a nice sharkmouth ? Eligible !

A British Army Sherman tank in Europe ? A Grant tank in the desert ? Both eligible !

A RHD Ferrari with a British registration ? Eligible !

A Spitfire of a Czech pilot ? Eligible !

We still need a few interested modellers to go to the voting phase, please join if you're interested in any foreign material and people in British service !

• 3 months later...

Are we still interested in this one for 2020?  I know I am!

Just wondering whether any of those helicopters licence built in the UK would be eligible?  Is a Wessex still essentially an S-58 or do the British changes render it ineligible.

Thinking about it, would the Septic Cat Constant Thrust Variable Noise a.k.a the SEPECAT Jaguar be eligible?

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Are we still interested in this one for 2020?  I know I am!

Just wondering whether any of those helicopters licence built in the UK would be eligible?  Is a Wessex still essentially an S-58 or do the British changes render it ineligible.

Yes I am still interested.

For the Wessex Wez see post 36. I suppose it will be the same for most of the licensed built Westland helicopters.

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

What's obvious is your interest in digging!

Yes mate, you can read me like a book, I'm Mr.Transparent...   ...obviously!!

Yes, I'm still interested, hopefully Giorgio wants to forge ahead with this one...

Here I am, sorry for making you wait ! You know, Christmas and the like... 😁

I don't really know, part of me would like to see this one going ahead as I feel that there could be a lot of interesting subjects. At the same time we kind of got stuck at some point with no more interested modellers, so much that we didn't even make it to the poll and this was a bit discomforting.

I see that now there are a few more potential takers, so maybe it's worth trying again. I'll speak to Enzo to see if we can just go ahead with this thread or I need to start a new one, If we can keep the existing list I will add any "new" name and keep promoting the GB through this thread, if not I may start a new thread and see if this time the GB proposal is more lucky

I was going to suggest the British Army's use of Pinzgauers and Bandvagn (Bv)206 vehicles as good examples of foreign kit in British use, but a little research shows that they are built under licence by BAE Systems in the UK. So I don't know if they qualify.

Maybe I should stick to Jeeps and Chevrolet trucks, used to great effect by the LRDG in North Africa.

• Like 2

Much too early to have a precise idea, but...

- CC four-engined aircraft, VLR Lib' or Fortress?

- CC twin, Hudson?

- Nieuport or SPAD?

- FAA SEP fighter?

- Some captured aircraft that have seen service again, like AVM Broadhurst's Storch?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, Chrissy_J said:

I was going to suggest the British Army's use of Pinzgauers and Bandvagn (Bv)206 vehicles as good examples of foreign kit in British use, but a little research shows that they are built under licence by BAE Systems in the UK. So I don't know if they qualify.

Maybe I should stick to Jeeps and Chevrolet trucks, used to great effect by the LRDG in North Africa.

My view is that both the Pinzgauer and the Bv206 would be eligible, doesn't matter if they are built in Britain as long as they don't introduce differences that would qualify them as completely different types

On 1/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, Antoine said:

Much too early to have a precise idea, but...

- CC four-engined aircraft, VLR Lib' or Fortress?

- CC twin, Hudson?

- Nieuport or SPAD?

- FAA SEP fighter?

- Some captured aircraft that have seen service again, like AVM Broadhurst's Storch?

All interesting subjects, I'd be tempted by the Storch myself

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Would a Bf-109 in 318 Squadron markings from Sept '45 work? If not, then a Firefly would surely fit.

Yes, as long as the 109 carried British markings it would be ok.

Guess that for Firefly you mean the Sherman and not the Fairey flying type... 😁 Of course it would be perfectly fine.

• Thanks 1

After consultation with Enzo Matrix, our global Group Build moderator, it's been decided to go ahead with this thread. I will therefore update the list with all the names that have expressed interest in the last few days, fingers crossed this time we'll be able to make it to the voting stage.

To be fair to all members, anyone who initially expressed interest for a 2019 slot and has in the meantime changed their mind, please let me know and I will delete you from the list

• Thanks 1