Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Very fast progress made Ced.

The crew fits in well,( Does my bum look big in this, well !!)

The attention to details can become obsessive at times but worth it.

Nice work with the heat exchanger (I think).

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Brian told me that the modified exhaust was to 'help with the CO problem in the cabin' and, presumably, also provides some hot air (if that were needed).

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

Your working wonders with this one Ced, very nice little additional details.

I’m good thanks mate, hopefully have a bit more time to browse Britmodeller again. Probably not much time for building though. I would like to start on the spitfires again but need some space! The kids have done more building than me at the moment, they are tackling some twin otters that were kindly sent but it’s slow going!

hope all is well your end and everyone enjoyed Telford! Need to make sure I drag myself along this year!

Rob

Thanks Rob :) Yes, do try to get to Telford, it'll be good to see you.

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I hope you haven't imbued mini-Ced with mystyck powers, but if you haven't why didn't you slice a bit off his nethers instead of reframing the seat?

In another vein, I received a mysterious package in the post this morning

Thank you

And exhaustingly, your pipes look fab in this.  😀

Thanks Bill :) I had trimmed me bottom but the head still fouled on the canopy. I remember lowering the seat in the real thing so chopping the seat too was allowed!

Glad the parcel arrived and I hope you can make use of the paper.

10 hours ago, giemme said:

There, you caught the super-detailing bug :frantic:  No turning back, Sir:shrug: :D  :D 

Lovely little details make a lot of difference in the final outcome, great going Ced! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - now I just need to try to get the rest of the model to a similar standard! :)

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I 'spose you were so exited you couldn't sit down properly.

John

Thanks John :rofl2:

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

OK, I need a chisel set in addition to the cutting machine, hmmm carry the two...

Some great detail work there Ced.

Thanks Cookie - I have two of the Master Tools chisels and they're really sharp - handy for this sort of job :)

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice work. Good to see some super micro detailing going on too. :penguin:

John.

Thanks John - my poor eyes :)

I've drilled a hole for the pipe into the fuselage:

39674821162_a53a1a0244_z.jpg

Location for pipe by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and sloshed some iron on the exhaust:

25833998988_c74f624f2c_z.jpg

Iron on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Just waiting for the canopy to be masked and then this lot can go together:

39001311484_8910c6a0ea_z.jpg

• Like 14

I tremble at the thought of dating my Harvard but it was round about the time of first issue into FW Woolworth in Sparkhill

I certainly didn't try 'detailing' it But I was very proud of the wheels

I remember painting them black  :)

Gosh I was a stickler, even then ;)

Ced I was shocked to get the packet but you can expect me to get down and use the stuff soon so I gratefully thank you

• Like 3

Thanks Bill - always nice to raise a bit of nostalgia! Enjoy the decal paper; a good home for the extra packet I ordered in the middle of the night and a little thanks you for all the work you did on the Boultbee for me :)

Wings onto fuselage. The lump glued to the top of the wing fouls on the inside of the fuselage but with a bit of sihrsc action and then some finer filing the joins started to click. Glued in and clamped:

25849337178_d9c37134bd_z.jpg

While that was drying I masked the canopy. I got out my 'Maketar canopy survival kit - ultimate canopy masking solution' and once again failed to find any useful bits other than two trianges for the front:

39723017571_0965dc5bdb_z.jpg

Masked and glued by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

One of the hardest masking jobs I've done as the frames and canopy gaps get mixed up but I know I need to do some Filmoplast work for the extra frames later so I'm not that bothered. I want the Gator's Grip on the canopy to dry overnight so I painted up the wheels with some 'AK True' steel and Mr Hobby Tire black and then on with the first coat of Colourcoats Azure Blue:

39726737101_45f7e03ee8_z.jpg

Azure - lovely by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Great colour. I'll be spraying the rest, just for Jamie :)

Stynylrez black primer first to try to get rid of the yellow and do some basing... what do we think?

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill - always nice to raise a bit of nostalgia! Enjoy the decal paper; a good home for the extra packet I ordered in the middle of the night and a little thanks you for all the work you did on the Boultbee for me :)

Wings onto fuselage. The lump glued to the top of the wing fouls on the inside of the fuselage but with a bit of sihrsc action and then some finer filing the joins started to click. Glued in and clamped:

25849337178_d9c37134bd_z.jpg

While that was drying I masked the canopy. I got out my 'Maketar canopy survival kit - ultimate canopy masking solution' and once again failed to find any useful bits other than two trianges for the front:

39723017571_0965dc5bdb_z.jpg

Masked and glued by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

One of the hardest masking jobs I've done as the frames and canopy gaps get mixed up but I know I need to do some Filmoplast work for the extra frames later so I'm not that bothered. I want the Gator's Grip on the canopy to dry overnight so I painted up the wheels with some 'AK True' steel and Mr Hobby Tire black and then on with the first coat of Colourcoats Azure Blue:

39726737101_45f7e03ee8_z.jpg

Azure - lovely by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Great colour. I'll be spraying the rest, just for Jamie :)

Stynylrez black primer first to try to get rid of the yellow and do some basing... what do we think?

Woohoo! :D

• Like 2

We've never Harvard so good.

This is looking quite tickety-boo and do my eyes deceive me or or you dipping a toe into micromodelling with that exhaust Ced? That slope. It is slippery....:D

Tony

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking fantastic Ced.

Spraying Colourcoats over Stynylrez primer works just fine (just in case you were at all worried).

I did wonder actually. I've never tried it.

That reminds me - I need to go and pay for my Badger Renegade Krome. Did anyone else contribute to Badger's current headache? The poor guy was obviously in a dangerously good mood on his 54th birthday just over a week ago, and made an offer on their Facebook page to buy any model of airbrush for $54 plus flat-rate shipping. Well, there were 7,000 orders that day with me being one of them. They quite quickly admitted they had bitten off more than they could chew and have taken a week to respond to all the order emails. That wasn't helped by a good chunk of the customers needing to know *right now* that their order was received, when would it be delivered etc etc. Badger sent emails with instructions to complete the order - e.g. tell us your Paypal address, postal address, which model do you want then "wait for the Paypal invoice". That wasn't fast enough for some who started trying to short cut the system that Badger cobbled together to deal with the order volume etc.

I feel so sorry for those guys - it's absolutely the sort of stupid thing I could see myself doing. I still want a Renegade Krome for $54 plus flat rate shipping though. I am patient B)

One can't fault their openness and communications efforts (unless you've no grasp of just how big a chew it is working through an inbox like that, especially when it fills up faster than you can empty it with strings of questions from people who haven't noticed that all the answers are already in the public posts or initial response mails you sent them :rage:)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

We've never Harvard so good.

This is looking quite tickety-boo and do my eyes deceive me or or you dipping a toe into micromodelling with that exhaust Ced? That slope. It is slippery....:D

Tony

Thanks Tony (groan) :D I quite enjoyed the exhaust messing around and I've just noticed there's no pitot in the kit. WW has a weird special one:

39739657101_96708dea99_z.jpg

WW pitot by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Hmmm. Albion slide tube with the outside flattened? I shall ponder. Yes it's tiny.

13 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Looking very tasty, Ced, I like what you did with that exhaust.

Thanks Chris :)

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

You are very fast, nothing unusual, I guess :whistle:.

Thanks Benedikt - other things to do today... between paint coats! :)

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking fantastic Ced.

Spraying Colourcoats over Stynylrez primer works just fine (just in case you were at all worried).

Thanks Cookie, very timely and much appreciated :D

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I did wonder actually. I've never tried it.

That reminds me - I need to go and pay for my Badger Renegade Krome. Did anyone else contribute to Badger's current headache? The poor guy was obviously in a dangerously good mood on his 54th birthday just over a week ago, and made an offer on their Facebook page to buy any model of airbrush for $54 plus flat-rate shipping. Well, there were 7,000 orders that day with me being one of them. They quite quickly admitted they had bitten off more than they could chew and have taken a week to respond to all the order emails. That wasn't helped by a good chunk of the customers needing to know *right now* that their order was received, when would it be delivered etc etc. Badger sent emails with instructions to complete the order - e.g. tell us your Paypal address, postal address, which model do you want then "wait for the Paypal invoice". That wasn't fast enough for some who started trying to short cut the system that Badger cobbled together to deal with the order volume etc.

I feel so sorry for those guys - it's absolutely the sort of stupid thing I could see myself doing. I still want a Renegade Krome for $54 plus flat rate shipping though. I am patient B)

One can't fault their openness and communications efforts (unless you've no grasp of just how big a chew it is working through an inbox like that, especially when it fills up faster than you can empty it with strings of questions from people who haven't noticed that all the answers are already in the public posts or initial response mails you sent them :rage:)

Thanks Jamie - Stynylrez is very popular (non-smelly, self levelling, good coverage, sprays nicely etc etc) so it's good to know it works under your marvellous paints.

I've three(ish) airbrushes so I'll resist the Badger offer but I can sympathise with the problem of email - people seem to think that, as their social network is hanging on their every word,  businesses should respond to their communications instantly as well. I'm a bit guilty of this too, I have to admit.

Canopy glue firm this morning so on with some IG:

39738668311_f3ddd1eec8_z.jpg

Black Stynylrez applied through the cheap airbrush to provide a black-basing coat and get rid of the yellow:

39030557044_2405302c00_z.jpg

Mostly. I'm after some variation so I'm happy with that but golly, it took some passes to get rid of the yellow, especially in the panel lines.

I'll let that dry for a while and work on the engine, prop and pitot.

• Like 11

Thanks Jon - those Hannants bits look nice, thanks, but it's plastic / resin! I'll have a go later and reserve that option :)

Thanks Simon - transfers on the pitot tube will not be attempted! See, I do learn (sometimes) :D 

Thanks Roger, very kind :)

Thanks Giorgio - even better with the Azure on :)

Thanks Tony - arr harr Jim Lad, batten down me 'atches :D

Couldn't resist spraying on the Azure following instructions on Jamie's great video:

25869895218_7e608e750b_z.jpg

Lovely stuff. I need to let that dry before masking.

• Like 11

Thanks John :rofl2:

What's going on here?

38844987275_39242bffe9_z.jpg

Showing off the punch by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Just getting silly really. As well as using some decal to apply the creep marks on the wheels and painting the gearbox dark green:

39743523941_b2daa6ca32_z.jpg

I also used a nano-saw to cut slots in the prop hub and stuck those discs in to replicate the balance weights on the prop, now finished:

39035723174_673091d8dc_z.jpg

No, I can't see them either really, but we know they're there... I'm not going for a perfect model; Wacky has a missing prop sticker and rubbed off yellow! :)

• Like 13

Nice touch those balance weights

Tells a very relieved me that you wont be going out and buying these kind of things

P1010085.jpg

P1010086.jpg

'xscuse blurry picture

it took longer to get the Vallejo silver off the top shelf that it did to file a little bit of Evergreen 0.020" rod and tack on a smidgeon of polycard

Dont buy stuff just becos!

If you want a bespoke size tell me, but better still make one

;)

Yes of course I have hand stencilled the pitot too

Of course, how very dare you...

:wicked:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

That's looking great Ced, the tiny prop in particular really stands out.

Also nice to see that beautiful Azure blue over the Stynylrez. I spent the morning searching through my build threads from the past year trying to find the one where I'd sprayed Colourcoats over Stynylrez and couldn't find it and began to panic! (It's gotta be around here somewhere.)

• Thanks 1