Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Dont buy stuff just becos!

Oh I just did today from Lidl:

s-l1600.jpg

Useless for eyelashes or brows, but good to lighten up your boxroom. Anyway a good tool for modelling and searching for things on the carpet.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Rats! Spent ages making one of those for my 1/48 P-47 before Christmas, had checked Master for a T'bolt one but didn't think of looking at P-40 ones! And despite what Bill says about making not buying, mine just doesn't look anywhere near as good...!  :D

However, your Wabbit is looking very good Ced, I like the touches like the prop balance weights!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Bill - I shall try to emulate your pitot! :)

Thanks Cookie - glad you like the prop. I'm quite pleased with it, although I think the weights should be a bit thicker; they're saw blade sized, too lazy! :)

Great tool Benedikt - tweezers with a light eh? Hmmm :)

Thanks Keith - we'll see what sort of pitot I can knock up soon :)

• Like 2

Good progress that Ced B)

Your first picture of the wheel hubs painted Azure Blue is one of the best representations* I have seen of the actual paint colour, all the pictures I have taken after using it reproduce it as a simple pale blue - like the colour in your picture of the painted underside, it is a frustratingly subtle colour to photograph :) 

I'd second Jon's recommendation of the RAF P-40 pitot from the Airfix kit (it will be spare if you are building the U.S. aircraft which used a different type) if it were not for Bill pointing out that you can actually make one by sticking a shark-fin of plastic card to a bit of stretched sprue... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* Seen on my laptop screen that is, usual disclaimers apply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, CedB said:

I also used a nano-saw to cut slots in the prop hub and stuck those discs in to replicate the balance weights on the prop, now finished:

Keeping up with super-detailing  - excellent! What a finesse :clap:  :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Stew :) The Azure Blue is a beautiful colour and the Colourcoats is, of course, a great representation and a joy to use. I may be another convert! I had a quick look at the Airfix P-40 on the ceiling and, dammit, I built the US option (which saved me searching the spares box... I must get that organised; I have the boxes ready and everything!)

Thanks Keith, too kind :)

Thanks Giorgio, also too kind! :)

Masked up and Mid-stone sprayed this morning:

38860565595_d7dcfb7258_z.jpg

Mid-stone by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nice bit of variation although not too much as WW's paint job is new so I don't need to weather, just show some light changes.

Pitot next then.

• Like 8

Hello Ced. That looks very nice. Like the colour very much.  And yes tweezers with a Led light. Hopefully useful to fight the carpet monster.  But far to blinding for a use around your eyes (That's what they primarily were made for:shrug:)

I can test it today as I' m staying home,  because the center of the hurricane "Friederike" is now more or less over us here. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - windy here too last night. Had my usual 'collect the bins and pots' walk around the garden this morning :)

Pitot. Styrene rod. Right. The mixed lot I bought is too floppy for this job so I used some Evergreen - you can just see the bit cut off here:

38860954885_7853d1f121_z.jpg

Of course this is when I wish I'd invested in some jewellers files, or those really small ones from Vincent, but I'll just have to cope with the small 'diamond' ones. Ho hum. Bit of sheet cut off and stuck on:

25887759518_b958e76931_z.jpg

I'll let that dry. A lot.

I've also pencilled out the camo as I'm going to try (gulp) Jamie's up close free-hand method:

39728086622_52e5e157cc_z.jpg

Wish me luck!

• Like 15

Love the pencil Ced! And enamels are brilliant for freehand camo work! I hope my old WEM stocks last till Telford and that Jamie will be there again as I plan a locust like attack on his British colours - really should have done it last year, I don't know why I keep fighting with acrylics!

Good luck

Keith

• Like 5

Thanks Roger and Giorgio - wait no longer (see below) :)

Thanks Keith - yes, do get some from Jamie. I thought I liked acrylics because they don't smell as much, but Colourcoats doesn't smell much either - certainly not as much as Mr Hobby Aqueous.

Hope your leg gets better soon :)

Thanks for the video Benedikt - crikey, that's WINDY!

Gather ye the painty stuff:

39052244664_f02b82ed91_z.jpg

I'd watched Jamie's great video on using his paint and saw that he didn't mask and free-handed the camo. Aha I thought, I'll give that a try. Stew had warned me that Jamie doesn't need to mask. OK, I hear that. Fools rush in. The booth wasn't quite as clean at the end, some time later:

38863912595_bda64cf300_z.jpg

... and my nerves are shot. Obviously free-handing without a mask isn't the only thing Jamie's very, very good at! :)

I've just watched it again and I think I got too close as I had some trouble with runs/spidering. I also had problems with a bit of spatter so I gave the brush a deep clean and noticed that the needle had a tiny kink in the end so I got out my spare (bought for just such an occasion). I'd better order another for next time - and a great excuse to get a MAC valve too if I'm going to be doing this more often - the pressure is so important. I also noticed from the video (at about 13m) that Jamie just 'stroked' the demarcations lines. I couldn't do that either really, hands too shaky. Although he did say he would use BluTak to mask for 'the final camo', WW's camo is not so 'tight':

39763656861_428c627648_z.jpg

I can do that by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So, time for a lie down and let this dry:

24893036037_0424cb0bed_z.jpg

p.s. the pencil marks covered OK. Phew!

• Like 15

Yes that is the way to do it

Looks very good Ced, all you need is confidence and a way to get practice

You seem to have found both

And I have little use for acrylics now but for the occasional touching in job

Proper paint that is what has been lacking, Jamie takes on the proud mantle of authentic Humbrol's Authentics

(Now, I am not being critical, there are a couple of Dark Earth pieces that could use a gentle touch in with your airbrush)

Edited by perdu
  • Thanks 1

Looking great.  Really great! The storm has moved eastwards, but with an intermezzo knocking off the neighbours 28m (85ft.) tall firs onto their roof. So I had an unexpected talk with the Münster firefighters here this afternoon. Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - I'm not sure if it was brave or stupid but I'll certainly try it again :)

Thanks Rob - I'm fairly happy too :)

Thanks Bill :) Not that I was trying to replicate the real thing exactly but there are some bits on that which could do with a gentle touch:

21078851_1929726890606949_64327945015291

Lovely photo from Jason (there are others on t6harvard.com)

Thanks John - nope, still 1/72 but thanks for the compliment! :)

Thanks Benedikt - I hear the trains are being cancelled! Stay safe! :)

Final bits for today. Custom decals on better paper:

39732691132_d144544a86_z.jpg

Custom decals on Mr Decal paper by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Now sprayed with clear varnish and drying. I've also got the roundels and serials ready (I hope). Pitot finished and the last close up you'll see:

24895091647_e28f39c411_z.jpg

I don't really have the tools to make it much better and I'm hoping it doesn't look too big when fitted! Feature, that's what it is, a feature...

• Like 10