Wacky Wabbit - Harvard 1/72

CedB

Thanks Rob, Stew, John D.C., Giorgio, John and Benedikt :) I'm fairly happy but I don't think I can do any better to be honest - custom decals at £50? I'll make do, thanks!

11 hours ago, perdu said:

So do the dots do it for you then Ced?

I found that using the brush with sweeps of colour could make me a tad reluctant to go right up to the edges that needed cleaning up, tiny dots are more controllable

I am not a' Worried of Birmingham' brush user, I have been painting pictures for sixty six or more years but if this is to be treated as a precision job dotting is more friendly to my old hand-eye co-ordination

She looks the very finest Wabbit I could conceive of -- Love that Harvard

Thanks Bill, very kind of you :) Dots certainly worked (when my hand wasn't shaky) for me and I'll (try to) remember that for future touch ups.

The satin coat is on:

28108455069_0d96c6a65b_z.jpg

Satin by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... and the masking is off!

39890081681_7797acf03f_z.jpg

Needs a tidy by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Hmmm. I need to 'go at that' with a blade and toothpick but I need to add the other frames too so I'm not too bothered. I forgot that enamels are 'harder' than acrylics and my usual de-masking technique (sharp tweezers, pull up a corner and work my way around, pulling the tape away from the join) was not as clean as usual. Oh well, another lesson learned.

I do know that enamels take longer to dry so I've prepared some Filmoplast. IPA to clean up the glass, tape off the backing (tricky) and Colourcoats applied:

39889370101_80ae1d205f_z.jpg

Framing by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've only done one (thick) coat but I quite like the variation:

25017835337_6edd3f5af8_z.jpg

I can always touch up once they're on.

• Like 13

Thanks Bill, Roger, Keith, Simon, John D.C. and John (Biggles) - the end is nigh! :D

Thanks for the photo Jan - you can tell it's not mine because the wheel hubs aren't covered. Adds 5kts when they're on according to Brian. I'll be really pleased though if people can't tell the difference!

Some almost final bits. Extra frames added:

26020360908_f75f276285_z.jpg

Framed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Exhaust attached:

39183607064_0e44c93dc0_z.jpg

Landing lights and prop fitted, u/c indicators blobbed with Clearfix:

28113741279_d42049c926_z.jpg

We're out tonight so the canopy touch up and exhaust weathering will have to wait for tomorrow.

RFI then I hope, I'll post a link.

• Like 23

Thanks Giorgio - wait no longer, in the RFI now:

Thanks Stew, Cookie, Benedikt, Johnny, Ian and John for recent posts and to everyone else for their company, advice and support :D

It's been another educational build and I now feel I want to build something easier and more straightforward. Probably.

But I also want to try roundel masks and templates with the new cutter.

Only one way to decide - FIGHT! No, no, I'll have a rest and a ponder...

• Like 6

Thanks iain - glad you enjoyed it :)

Thanks Simon - certainly a Spitfire will be in my near future when the Colourcoats arrive. In the meantime I may do something easy, just for a rest :)

• Like 1