Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72 RFI

CedB

I have finally completed my attempt to model the Boultbee Spitfire that I was lucky enough to fly in last year. One of my longest WiPs, both in posts and time but I'm reasonably happy with the results.

AZ Model Tr.9 used as the base model, PJ Productions figures (after surgery), Colourcoats paints and, gulp, custom decals (including some by Perdu) for the markings and custom masks for the squadron idents.

27854172009_76579a3ec9_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

39631763331_7b34f4c749_z.jpg

38735453875_5edb9c147d_z.jpg

25760501518_e86afc3511_z.jpg

The 'crew' are PJ Productions modern pilots with the masks removed and a silly 'Spitfire grin' added to the mini-me in the back:

39602053172_6cb9d1e15f_n.jpg 25760471318_14066e9e4c_n.jpg

It's been 'a journey'. There's a story and video of the flight in the WiP and lots of experiments with making your own decals. If you can bear to wade through 23 pages.

Thanks to everyone who gave their support and help during the WiP - really appreciated and a great example of how BMers pull together :)

• Like 41
  • Haha 1

It turned out great in the end, Ced :clap:  :clap:

As a bonus, don't forget that the WIP thread allowed you to buy a new invaluable toy modelling tool, the Silhouette Cameo cutter ... :whistle:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 2

LoveLy build Ced, bravo.

If any of you fancy a mini me without the scratch building, Google a company called Modelu, who, for a not massive sum, will scan and print you, warts and all... (No connection, although I have bought a few of their figures (not of me!))

• Like 1

Great model of G-ILDA there Ced.  Put the drawing of G-ILDA you were given in a frame with your G-ILDA in front and that would make a super memory.  You'll get that same Spitfire grin each time you look at it...

Happy memories..

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

You out did yourself this time Ced, with the custom figures (hi tiny Ced), decals and masks, you've really captured the look of your 'ride'.

Thanks Cookie - very kind. I've learned some new techniques so well worth the pain :)

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great 👍 ...  I'm happy you finished it, as it will help keep the memory fresh. 

Thanks Dennis :)

15 hours ago, giemme said:

It turned out great in the end, Ced :clap:  :clap:

As a bonus, don't forget that the WIP thread allowed you to buy a new invaluable toy modelling tool, the Silhouette Cameo cutter ... :whistle:  :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, especially for you help with the cutter. I actually bought the Portrait in the end but I'm happy with it so far :)

14 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Cracking build there Ced.:thumbsup2:

Thanks Vinnie :)

14 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Always great to build a model with a personal connection!

Thanks Jackson - true; I just wish it didn't have those markings! :)

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff Ced, another cracking model comingout of a thoroughly entertaining build thread!

Looking forward to Wacky Wabbit!

Keith

Thanks Keith - hopefully the Harvard will be less troublesome :)

13 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Ced,

A fine piece of work indeed.

You can't get more context-rich in a project than this one!

Michael

Thanks Michael - kind of you :)

13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Superb, the build thread was a joy to follow and you got a great model out of it!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your company :)

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Splendid to see you and mini-Ced in such a fine display of Supermarinification! :clap:

The PJ Productions' 'Ebullient Bufton' figure is due out when?

Thanks Tony :D I'm still negotiating royalties, although there are issues with the amount of resin required for a true representation...

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

LoveLy build Ced, bravo.

If any of you fancy a mini me without the scratch building, Google a company called Modelu, who, for a not massive sum, will scan and print you, warts and all... (No connection, although I have bought a few of their figures (not of me!))

Thanks Jon - oooh, they're in Bristol soon. Tempting!

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

It was a pleasure to hitch along for the ride Ced, it wasn't all smooth but the end result was worth it B)

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, glad you like it. The Colourcoats helped; great stuff isn't it?

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The result more than justifies all the effort Ced!

Congrats on being able to hang yourself from the ceiling! (Cue Auntie Rotter?)

Ian

Thanks Ian - hang myself from the...? Oh, I see, in the model... phew! :D

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Really pleased she turned out to be such a beauty, nice clear canopies too.:clap2: it’s been a rollercoaster ride for sure and I’ve enjoyed every second. Nice one Ced. :king:

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - I'm finding that the masking tape gives me a nice shine without gloss or anything, so far! :)

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Well that was fun, shall we indulge in another?

"No, after you Cedric your audience awaits"

She does look a treat and gave us all a huge amount of pleasure well done sir

Thanks Bill, especially for your help with the transfers. Really appreciated :D

4 hours ago, philp said:

Congrats on another successful build.

Thanks Phil, kind of you :)

4 hours ago, CamberrySauce said:

Looks great Ced! :clap2:

Thanks Cam - glad you like it :)

3 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Great model of G-ILDA there Ced.  Put the drawing of G-ILDA you were given in a frame with your G-ILDA in front and that would make a super memory.  You'll get that same Spitfire grin each time you look at it...

Happy memories..

Thanks GB - drawing framed and on my desk already! Great memories :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

actually bought the Portrait in the end but I'm happy with it so far :)

Oops ... of course, it's my memory not working properly (never did :chair:  :D ). 

Ciao

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...