My father built model airplanes and as a little boy I was inspired to build them too.  I do remember that he was against building jets because, in his mind, they were all about creating havoc, death, etc...nothing beautiful about them, he felt, nothing romantic.  So be it.  I mean, what have any military aircraft been about?  That was his philosophy and I must admit it poisoned me ever since.  No longer!  So I have built another jet, my 4th so far and certainly not my last.  I have had more fun with these jets than a barrel full of monkeys and I cannot wait for the NATO/Warsaw Pact GB this summer...:D

This is OOB completely.  I used Vallejo Air Chrome for the overall colour and I think it works better that the aluminum for this.  Very little pin washing since I imagine these birds were kept pretty clean while on duty in Thornaby.  The decals were excellent and sucked down well with some softener and fix.  It is a tail-sitter so I crammed as much lead as I could in the nose and it still sat.  I mashed up some more into little bits and tossed them in the cockpit where they promptly disappeared.  That did it.  About 3 grams all told.  

I could have puttied a little more on the booms and the wingtips, but I didn't.  Next time I will.  There was already a fair amount of filling needed along the wing roots and the cockpit nacelle.  

I have a little over a week before the next GB begins.  I think I can squeeze in another build before the Nieuport 10's come out...;)

I present Revell's DH. Vampire F.3 in 1/72nd scale, 608 Squadron, Thornaby, 1951.

39601022782_3529c50c93_z_d.jpg

39630757081_4dc84ed696_z_d.jpg

39601024302_5836a27141_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 15

very nice Vampire - like it. And hey - there is always something romantic about a DH Twinboom jet! But fully understand that you won't argue with your dad about that :-).

Cheers,

Michael

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I think that's the MPM mould reboxed.

Yes it is Eric.  

Thanks guys...it was a lot of fun to build and I also like the twin boom design...the updated Mosquito, so to speak.

I am starting the AZ Model Lebanese Chipmunk tomorrow.  We'll see how she goes...^_^