My second conversion - Eduard 1:48 Eduard Tempest V to II

I picked up the Eduard 1:48 scale Tempest Mk V in its original Profipack guise very cheap at a local model expo. It came with the Airwaves Tempest II conversion, and the previous owner had already done a pretty neat job of cutting out the sections on the kit plastic, so an ideal subject for my second resin conversion. I managed to get hold of the Model Alliance 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.II/F.2/F.6 Post War # 48902 online as well. Considering my lack of experience with resin conversions I decided against the tail correction that is available (I suspect my skill levels are not quite ready for that). Completed as an aircraft from 33 Squadron RAF based at RAF Kuala Lumpur in 1951. Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics (with my own home brew attempt at PRU Blue - and no I can't remember the recipe. It was pretty much a bit of this and a bit of that from what I had in my paint collection). Also my first attempt at highlighting panel lines/weathering with artists' oils on a larger scale (my first serious attempt being the two 1:72 Hurricanes I posted yesterday). I finished with with a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear from a rattle can (TS80) - which its fast becoming my favourite way to provide a matt coat. 

I still have another Eduard Tempest V in my stash (second hand again), and still have enough decals to do a Tempest VI (I am drawn to the 213 Squadron machine on the Model Alliance sheet). Anyone had any experience with the MDC conversion for this kit? I would need to cut the plastic myself this time though! :P

Thanks for looking.

24753868347_933e855b3a_b.jpg

24753858597_b0df6c8d0a_b.jpg

27844777379_ed773ac5eb_b.jpg

25750755118_d42c6d037c_b.jpg

24753860687_4a2de37258_b.jpg

24753867537_4eb4025827_b.jpg

And some photos taken outside in the morning sun.

38913959834_df189e8a36_b.jpg

39592552462_31e716d9c6_b.jpg

27844780979_bda0b790bb_b.jpg

39592553862_981c27f773_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 31

Nice job Simon,.....nice conversion isn`t it,...I`ve built one and have another to do.

PS,...Sorry,...but is there any way that you could please scan those colour side views from the Airwaves conversion? Mine didn`t have these in,...only the small decal sheet and I have been trying to research the schemes,

Cheers

Tony

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, anj4de said:

I wonder if that conversion kit fits the new Eduard Tempest as well? MDC seems to still carry it...

cheers

Uwe

see this for the MDC set

Note the conversion by Simon L  above is the Airwaves set, not MDC, this is important as the MDC has the wing intakes as upper/lower halves, meaning they can be adjusted to fit the new thiiner correct Eduard wing, the old tool Eduard Tempest has a too thick wing, and the Airwaves is made to fit it with one piece mouldings, so they won't fit the new kit...

• Like 1

Hi Troy, my comment above concerning the MDC conversion was to do with their Tempest VI conversion, however since then I have had another thought. I have an old Hobbycraft Sea Fury in the stash, would it be possible to kit bash that with the Eduard kit to arrive at something that looks like a Tempest VI? Or am I just kidding myself?

11 hours ago, SimonL said:

I have an old Hobbycraft Sea Fury in the stash, would it be possible to kit bash that with the Eduard kit to arrive at something that looks like a Tempest VI? Or am I just kidding myself?

possibly,  the only Sea Fury bits you would need are the wing intakes,  to chop them out and reverse which sides they go.  The Tempest VI has a different radiator (as it has the wing intakes) and there is a bulge behind the chin radiator,  these were the resin bits in the Airwaves Tempest VI conversion

this is the 72nd Freightdog set

185702-13136-81-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/freightdog-models-fdr72008-hawker-tempest-mkvi-conversion-set--185702

note the bottles to go behind the pilot (water for survival?)  the radiator with the central core and the bulge for the tropical filter.

Also it has the later style prop, longer spinner. 

this chap used  the HC Sea Fury intakes

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/11-models/179-jeremy

see here

the leftover Sea Fury could then be converted into a Sabre Fury 'with some modelling skill'  ;) 

If you need clarifications, just ask.

HTH

T

• Like 1