It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

This will be one to watch, as always, Giemme. That big cannon held a fascination for me as a kid in the 80s, and it was always a "moment" when an A-10 would fly low over the sports pitches at school (the F-15s just weren't as jaw-droppingly cool). The Master rendition is verrrry nice. Loving the Aires tub as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

This will be one to watch, as always, Giemme. That big cannon held a fascination for me as a kid in the 80s, and it was always a "moment" when an A-10 would fly low over the sports pitches at school (the F-15s just weren't as jaw-droppingly cool). The Master rendition is verrrry nice. Loving the Aires tub as well.

Lucky you, growing up with a choice between A-10s and F-15s flying over your head :thumbsup:

I hope I'll do the kit and extras justice :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Hello Giemme,

Another great kit in the making, and an A-10...

Must restart mine for the 3rd and last time !

You did great with your resin parts !

:drink::drink::cheers::cheers:

I take a chair and bring on some strong beers as usual, if you don't mind ?

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

Great CC, welcome on board. :thumbsup:

I'll have a McChouffe, please :beer::D

Ciao

Mc Chouffe ! wow great choice,

now you can enjoy this one in 33cl, before that it was only 75cl, don't mind it !

you're a man a great taste for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

now you can enjoy this one in 33cl

Precisely that! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent work, with your usual care and attention to detail! Very well done, Giorgio!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :thumbsup: 

Detail-wise, I think I'll have to do some work on that cannon fairing, especially the back part, which is moulded into the bottom front fuselage part; all the pics I saw show a constant diameter (like an actual pipe) while the kit part is narrower and sort of cone shaped compared to the front housing, which is moulded with the nose. Thoughts about vacforming are arising ... :hmmm::frantic:

Ciao

• Like 2

So I just finished reading “Warthog: Flying the A-10 during the Gulf War” by William Smallwood. It is a fantastic book, one which I would put in the ranks of Pak Six and Thud Ridge. I highly highly recommend it. It would probably even give you more ideas for your project on armament and weathering. 

With your build and that book I am extremely tempted to go ahead and pull the trigger on an A-10 for the BM 10th Anniversary group build.

• Like 1

Found a picture in a book -(how quaintly old fashioned am I?!)  that might help for ailerons. Showing Red internals.

IMG_20180116_233002

There was Some idea apparently, to replace these with modified F16s. No, really...!

Have a read....

" One former Pentagon engineer, Pierre Spey, who worked the F-16 and A-10 programs, was quoted in a Wall Street Journal article saying that the idea of replacing the A-10 with the F-16 was “one of the most monumentally fraudulent ideas the Air Force has ever perpetrated.” As told by Neubeck, Mr. Spey would later summarize the A-10’s war accomplishments in the September 1991 issue of the IEEE Spectrum (the magazine edited by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). Spey stated that “among the aircraft, the ‘low tech’ A-10 – much despised the U.S. Air Force brass – was the real hero of the air war. Even though it represent only one-twelfth of the fighter force, it flew one-third of the sorties and accounted for two thirds of the tank kills claimed during the air campaign and better than nine/tenths of the artillery kills. It dominated the interdiction campaigns against the roads. The aircraft proved tough enough to survive the anti-aircraft exposure and fire anti-tank Maverick missiles, while the F-16s, F-111s and F-18s were just too vulnerable to ground guns to be usable in this role.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there any kit or A M version of the ammo loading apparatus that's used to service the monster?

IMG_20180116_233200

It's pretty unique, and would make a great add-on.

PS. I'm sure you've sussed it already, but go maximum with nose- weight. You could well be dealing with the most tail-sitting model airframe of them all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Is there any kit or A M version of the ammo loading apparatus that's used to service the monster?

IMG_20180116_233200

It's pretty unique, and would make a great add-on.

PS. I'm sure you've sussed it already, but go maximum with nose- weight. You could well be dealing with the most tail-sitting model airframe of them all.

They called it the Dragon according to the book I just read.

• Like 1

On 16/1/2018 at 15:01, Leonl said:

I'm following this one, another one of my favourites....

Strong start already....

Glad to have you too on board, Leon :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, whiskey said:

So I just finished reading “Warthog: Flying the A-10 during the Gulf War” by William Smallwood. It is a fantastic book, one which I would put in the ranks of Pak Six and Thud Ridge. I highly highly recommend it. It would probably even give you more ideas for your project on armament and weathering. 

With your build and that book I am extremely tempted to go ahead and pull the trigger on an A-10 for the BM 10th Anniversary group build.

Cheers whiskey, thank you for the heads up on the book :thumbsup: A-10 for the 10th Anniversary GB sounds like a great idea :thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Found a picture in a book -(how quaintly old fashioned am I?!)  that might help for ailerons. Showing Red internals.

There was Some idea apparently, to replace these with modified F16s. No, really...!

Have a read....

" One former Pentagon engineer, Pierre Spey, who worked the F-16 and A-10 programs, was quoted in a Wall Street Journal article saying that the idea of replacing the A-10 with the F-16 was “one of the most monumentally fraudulent ideas the Air Force has ever perpetrated.” As told by Neubeck, Mr. Spey would later summarize the A-10’s war accomplishments in the September 1991 issue of the IEEE Spectrum (the magazine edited by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). Spey stated that “among the aircraft, the ‘low tech’ A-10 – much despised the U.S. Air Force brass – was the real hero of the air war. Even though it represent only one-twelfth of the fighter force, it flew one-third of the sorties and accounted for two thirds of the tank kills claimed during the air campaign and better than nine/tenths of the artillery kills. It dominated the interdiction campaigns against the roads. The aircraft proved tough enough to survive the anti-aircraft exposure and fire anti-tank Maverick missiles, while the F-16s, F-111s and F-18s were just too vulnerable to ground guns to be usable in this role.”

Red, of course! That makes a lot of sense, thank you Rob :thumbsup: . Still undecided if I'll model them open or what, but any info is highly appreciated. :thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with Rob i had to use 3.5 oz in my 1/48th Revell A-10 last year and barely made it. The Revell 1/48th P-61 is almost as bad i used 3.25 oz in that. 

Thank you both :thumbsup:  The instructions suggest to put 30g of weight behind the front wheel bay, but I'm planning to put as much as I can in the front area. It is true that I will have resin tub and seat and PE extras in there, but I don't think they'll add that much weight to the front.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You could do with some depleted uranium rounds from that gun Giorgio, that would hold the nose down....:D

But of course! Any ideas where to find some? :whistle:  :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

I pick up spent .45 rounds when I go shooting, preferably the all lead ones which the re-loaders use, they’re heavier than the jacketed variety.

I have the Hobby Boss 1/48 A-10 and the only arfermarket bits I have are for the gun muzzle.

cheers 

John

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

IMG_20180116_233002

That was a test bird out at Edwards, and the crew chief of that jet personally painted the inside of the decelerons red so he could easily pick out "his" jet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I pick up spent .45 rounds when I go shooting, preferably the all lead ones which the re-loaders use, they’re heavier than the jacketed variety.

I have the Hobby Boss 1/48 A-10 and the only arfermarket bits I have are for the gun muzzle.

cheers 

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: I have some fishing stuff and a bunch of scrapped tyre weights for the job, I hope they're going to be enough! :frantic::)  You're going to need a lot of those spent rounds for a 1/48 Hog ...

8 minutes ago, boom175 said:

That was a test bird out at Edwards, and the crew chief of that jet personally painted the inside of the decelerons red so he could easily pick out "his" jet. 

Thanks boom175 :thumbsup:  Any ideas about the "standard" color for a Europe 1 camouflaged bird? TIA

Ciao

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

cheers 

John

John, you are going to need about 55 grammes of lead mate.
I have got the Revell version in the stash and thats the quoted weight.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thanks John :thumbsup: I have some fishing stuff and a bunch of scrapped tyre weights for the job, I hope they're going to be enough! :frantic::)  You're going to need a lot of those spent rounds for a 1/48 Hog ...

Thanks boom175 :thumbsup:  Any ideas about the "standard" color for a Europe 1 camouflaged bird? TIA

Ciao

Euro one dark grey on all the jets I ever worked on, there may have been some ones that had them painted the dark green. I never saw one other than the 36081.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, boom175 said:

Euro one dark grey on all the jets I ever worked on, there may have been some ones that had them painted the dark green. I never saw one other than the 36081.

You actually worked on these beasts? Great to know :thumbsup: Thanks once more for the insight.

Ciao

57 minutes ago, giemme said:

You actually worked on these beasts? Great to know :thumbsup: Thanks once more for the insight.

Ciao

31 Years between the Engine shop, Flight line (Crew Chief) and being the base Engine Manager. Still miss working on them!! Any questions you have please ask.

• Like 6