It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio - must give that a try :) 

Looks promising to me, I'll test it on the main airframe too :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Shalako said:

Hi Giorgio,

I would like to ask you if you've ever had the chance to compare the Italeri with the Hobby Boss A-10 and what's you're experience?

Hi Shalako, this is actually my first A-10 ever, so I have no idea, sorry. If I'm not mistaken, @Sting67 knows something about the Hobby Boss kit, you should probably ask him.

Ciao

3 hours ago, giemme said:

If I'm not mistaken, @Sting67 knows something about the Hobby Boss kit, you should probably ask him.

@ShalakoSorry, but I can't say much about the Hobby Boss kit. I have the Italeri AND Hasegawa kits and can compare both of them. So far my favourite is also the Italeri kit.

• Like 1

Just now, Sting67 said:

@ShalakoSorry, but I can't say much about the Hobby Boss kit. I have the Italeri AND Hasegawa kits and can compare both of them. So far my favourite is also the Italeri kit.

Oops, my mistake - I didn't recall it correctly :oops: 

Ciao

On 13/09/2018 at 19:05, keefr22 said:

PS nice subtle weathering work!

Cheers K, thanks :thumbsup: More weathering below.

On 15/09/2018 at 09:28, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant filtering. I love the way we all forget to take photos of our first attempt at this process. Too caught up in the moment.😃 

:rofl: Yes, that's probably the right excuse :wink:  

WE progress report, everybody :smile:  :pilot: 

Keeping on experimenting with oils and dot filter, I used some Burnt Sienna and Payne Grey on the top one of these two, the other is undone

airbrakes1

Subtle, but I like it this way. For the bombs, one was treated with yellow, blue and white, the other only white - see if you can spot the difference

ordnance10

Here's the ECM POD after the oil treatment and a flat clear coat

ordnance11

I used Italeri Flat Clear for that, thinned with Windex. Same on the bombs, which turned out a bit too white-ish; so with a micro-fiber towel, I rubbed off the excess once dry

ordnance12

The one on the pole still to do, the others done.

And these are the two bottom ailerons, after the same process

airbrakes2

Time to tackle the main airframe: first off, a panel line wash for the movable surfaces, using black ink thinned with water and a drop of Future, applied with a fine tipped brush

panellineswash1

panellineswash2

panellineswash3

On the bottom side, I also started doing the panel line wash for the green areas, using tempera this time, with a dark green mix (note the the area around the roundel has been treated with dot filtering)

panellineswash5

panellineswash7

As I said, I only applied the panel wash to the bottom green areas, so far, trying to keep it subtle. Here's an overall shot of the underside, where you should be able to tell the difference with the grey areas, still undone

panellineswash4

Still plenty to do, and I think I will use the dot filtering only on very selected areas, especially on the top side.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 14

On 17/09/2018 at 13:06, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio. Nice and subtle :) 

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking FAB Giemme, no getting away from it sir.

Very subtlety done.

Simon.

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are well. As Ced and Simon said above - your subtle work is really paying off! Lovely stuff. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Ced, Simon and Stix, glad you guys like it this way! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Fantastico Giorgio

Apologies for cheapo Italian-ation dear buddy but I can only play to my weaknesses

:(

It looks amazing

That's actually entirely correct, no need to apologize whatsoever :winkgrin: And thank you for the appreciation! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking great G. I can’t help but think in needs more mud. But maybe that’s just my frame of mind at the moment.🤣

seriously though she’s looking topest of drawers. :clap:

johnny

:rofl: No, she saw a lot of sand during Desert Storm, but definitely no mud. Thanks! :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cool!! :coolio:

K

Cheers K! :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

nice ciao

Thanks brock, glad you enjoy this! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody, panel lines wash finally completed:

panellineswash8

For the grey areas of the camouflage, I used a black tempera wash, trying to keep it subtle as per the green areas

panellineswash9

This kind of light and the fact that the model is still glossy doesn't really help, but you should get a rough idea

panellineswash10

Underside

panellineswash11

panellineswash12

panellineswash13

panellineswash14

Next is going to be some selective weathering, then a flat coat and some oil filtering to smooth down some rough edges in camouflage demarcation lines.

Ciao

• Like 13

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She looks amazing G. Reminding me why I love making aeroplanes. :clap:

Johnny

Thank Johnny! :thumbsup: But you keep buying tank kits ... :nono:  :rofl: 

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio - good job :) 

Cheers Ced, glad you like her :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking properly menacing Giorgio.

Yes, the sharkmouth is pretty effective to that :winkgrin:  :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/09/2018 at 10:36, The Spadgent said:

Trust me I have more flying items. 🤣

:phew: The world is safe again, then :rofl: 

On 21/09/2018 at 20:02, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Superb work with the subtle panel line washes. They look excellent! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, much appreciated :thumbsup:

A very meagre WE progress report today - these final bits seem to take forever to get done! :frantic:

Those who followed this build from the beginning might recall that, when doing the air refueling door, I tried to replicate the marks from the refueling boom on the metal paint by actually scratching the underlying plastic with a brass brush. That plan went south, as the paint, despite of being metallic, filled everything in. So plan B was to paint the marks on, which I did using a 5-0 brush, some very thinned Italeri Flat Black and a pointy toothpick to remove the excess paint and give it the streaky look

refuelingdoor

Next: there were a couple of areas on top of port wing in which the demarcation line between the camouflage colors was too stark, as a result of a brushed on touch up following some paint leaks underneath the masking: I did try with oils first to soften the edges, but that was taking nowhere, so I went instead with dry-brushing the base color next to the edge and right after that stippling the same color on to obtain a smooth transition. Outboard

camotouchups1

and mid section

camotouchups2

I also airbrushed the cannon with a mix of Italeri Flat Black and Lifecolor Matt Gun Metal, thinned with water and IPA

cannon3

I then prepared most of the residual bits and bobs for a flat clear coat, but I'll post some pics after they're done.

Not much, as I said :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 11