It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

57 minutes ago, giemme said:

Decals, weathering and the final flat coat are going to dramatically reduce the effect (at least, that's what has happened to me so far :coolio: 😏 )

You are probably spot on there G, I always seem to under do the post shading & it almost disappears!!

K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

and then there are also the Mr hyde putty (less "creapy" it seems 😉 ))and the MIG spin off from panzer putty

I use one of the many makes of silly putty; seems to have very similar properties to the much more expensive panzer putty. No residue, most importantly.

• Like 1

Another vote for the many makes of masking putty. Just about no residue, perfectly malleable . It's great, but the make that I'm using is starts to sag after a little while (like less than an hour) so one have to be quick with painting. 

Blue-tack or similar is much more form stable over time, which is good for notoriously slow builders like me 🙂

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the link Silenoz, I know this stuff gets various reviews...

I like it actually but have learned to stretch it out thin before application to avoid major creeping. HTH Håkan

• Like 1

On 21/06/2018 at 13:36, Biggles87 said:

Bellisima! Well recovered.

John

Cheers John, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 22/06/2018 at 00:20, The Spadgent said:

She looks great. The post shading is about right as adding extra layers later on Will blend everything together. Top stuff my man. 😀

John.

Hopefully so, Johnny :thumbsup:

On 22/06/2018 at 15:03, Spookytooth said:

Looking nice Giemme.

Good touching up done sir.

Enjoy the weather sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  I did actually enjoy the weather, and BBQ with friends, and ine, and swimming pool ...

As a result, not much time was left for modelling last WE, so here's the little I did:

I made a paper copy of the decals, cut out the shark mouth and test fitted it in position....

dav

....to determin where to spray a black area to be faired in with the actual decal

dav

which I did airbrushing Tamiya Flat Black

dav

dav

the same Tamiya Flat Black was sprayed on the fin tops, followed by Tamiya Sky Blue

dav

Then I glued in the leading edge slats, touched them up by brush and gloss coated

dav

dav

The camo on them needs merging with the wing surfaces, so I'll attempt a dry-brushing and see how it works. Next time though

All comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 16

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Another imaginative use of Lego, did you buy some from Ced? 😁

Thanks John, I actually have a good provision of my own :rofl: That's my standard aircraft stand, anyway; I've been using it for all my recent builds on BM :winkgrin:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Sorry, my short term memory is rubbish.

Tell me about it! :banghead: :wall:

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Looking rather nice G, coming on well!

K

Cheers K, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio, she's looking smart under the varnish :) 

Cheers Ced, glad you like her :thumbsup: Although her current appearance is far from the one I have in mind for when it's finished ... :coolio:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; 

little progress to report. I started working on another long postponed task, to wit the main gear struts and wheels. First this:

dav

On the left the unaltered kit part; the triangular reinforcement in real life is hollowed out in the middle, so I thought the best way to replicate it was to cut out most of it and glue in a plastic strip from 0.5mm styrene sheet

dav

Both done

dav

I glued the strips in using Tamiya Green Cap and let them settle for the night; then I'll have to do some shaping/filling/sanding to get to the correct shape and size.

I also glued the wheel halves together, and here are all the main gear parts (except for the actuator arms)

dav

I forgot to mention that during the final unmasking after the camouflage painting, I partially cracked open the port wing to fuselage join :wall:, so last night I also fixed that (hopefully)

dav

This is staying a good 24 hours like that, then I'll remove the tape.

I'll be off for the  WE, so no progress till mid of next week, I think

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice job on the gear struts Giorgio :) 

Bad luck with the wing join but I'm sure you've sorted it now.

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: Tonight I'll check if the wing join is sorted. Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

I see that you are up to your usual tricks Giemme.

The U/C legs look nice, as for the wing?

Ah well, ..it happens mate, at least it was spotted before any other work was done.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: The wing issue wasn't that evident, if not for the dihedral .... :chair:  🙂

Ciao

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2018 at 16:58, Azgaron said:

Nice work with the landing gears, and I hope the join holds! :)

Håkan

Thanks H, the join did hold :thumbsup:

On 30/06/2018 at 09:47, The Spadgent said:

Lovely steady progress G. The UC looks nice. 🤩

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup:

On 30/06/2018 at 23:44, PlaStix said:

Very impressive progress Giorgio - hope the wing is sorted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, and yes, as said above, the wing is sorted.

Service resumed on this one during the WE, so here's a progress report.

Main gears refined:

dav

so it was time to glue their actuator arms in. Before doing that, I deepened the hole shown here (top undone, bottom done)

dav

and glued in using Tamiya Green Cap (apologies for the poor pic, and it won't be the last one, unfortunately)

dav

PPP applied where needed, and smoothed out with the usual spongy make up brush

dav

I then added a simplified version of the piping/wiring

dav

Main wheels got sorted too, removing the central edge

dav

and sanding them to reproduce a flat spot

dav

So now I have a bunch of stuff ready for priming :pilot: (that's another awful pic, I know :chair: )

dav

Back to the main airframe, while CA glue I used for the gear struts piping settles; I masked around the retractable ladder bay and the avionics bay

dav

dav

Then I first airbrushed a flat black base coat, followed by the final gloss aircraft grey layer

dav

dav

Then some detail painting (by brush) inside the avionics bay

dav

I now need to raid the spare decals bank and see if I can find some suitable little black placards, and after that I'll add a dark wash and a flat coat.

Next time, though; comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 13