It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking seat G, very nice indeed! And I do like that idea of outlining the camo areas with thin paint, I use a soft pencil, but I think your way is much neater!

K

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Ditto on Keith's comments about painting the outlines faintly Giorgio - I'll watch that paint process develop with considerable interest! :thumbsup:

Keith and Tony, thank you :thumbsup:

Just to make it clear, I'm not going to precisely follow those demarcation lines: the intention is to roughly cover those areas, so that after masking I will still have preshading lines for the darker green tone. Which I will spray all over the unmasked surface, counting on the fact that the last color to spray, being a darkish grey, will have enough covering power (and I'm going to only post-shade that).

Wish me luck :fingerscrossed:

Ciao

• Like 7

11 hours ago, giemme said:

As mentioned in my previous post, the camouflage painting is going to take a while ... .

And don't you dare break out the salt!!!!:deadhorse:

Gene K

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good luck - but I know you won't need it (previous paint jobs show that!)

K

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded! :) 

Thanks Keith and Ced for the vote of confidence :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Gene K said:

And don't you dare break out the salt!!!!:deadhorse:

Gene K

OK, no salt, I promise :rofl:

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I've not seen this for 24hrs and look at all you've done!

I also like the idea of outlining the  demarcations, just be careful  you don't paint on the wrong side of the lines. 😁

john

Thanks John :thumbsup:  And just to be safe, I did put some brush strokes between lines to make sure which areas to spray :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 3

Great pre-shading job and interesting idea painting the demarcation lines of camouflage. Very interested to see how it turns out :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful work as always Giorgio, and I like your planned paint order for the camouflage preserving the pre-shading.

Oh, and the seat looks amazing.

Cheers Cookie, thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup: On a different subject: got work?

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Indeed. I love what you have done by marking out the lines. I might just nick that idea. The seat looks great too.🤩

john.

Thanks John. :thumbsup: It kinda worked, see below 

11 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Great pre-shading job and interesting idea painting the demarcation lines of camouflage. Very interested to see how it turns out :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :thumbsup: Wait no longer, see below

So, directly from the spray booth, here she is after multiple thin coats of Lifecolor FS34102, airbrushed on the areas I previously identified with the brushed on demarcation lines

dav

dav

dav

You can see that the pre-shading lines are barely showing through - definitely not enough to survive all the remaining stages. I think the problem is that Tamiya Black Green isn't dark enough to show through FS34102, and even more so when it will be time for the FS34092, which is an even darker green hue. Best laid planes an all of that ... :chair: 

So the only way to have a better contrast is to add some post-shading, which I did by mixing FS34102 with Lifecolor Matt White, thinning with Vallejo Glazing Medium. I airbrushed this mix in light passes in the central area of the various panels, thus:

dav

Top side

dav

dav

dav

It may look slightly overdone, but adding the remaining two camouflage tones, clear coats and markings/decals will knock back the effect a lot, so I'm happy with the way it turned out. Last thing I did was to spray a protective Future coat on the painted areas; I always do that prior to masking with blue tack, to ensure no residuals migrate to the paint (ask me how I know :wall:)

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 16

I like the overdone fading for sure and as you say, it will be knocked back later on (something that I need to learn.)

But should there really be that much fading on the underside?  My reasoning is that it's usually hidden from the sun....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

But should there really be that much fading on the underside?  My reasoning is that it's usually hidden from the sun....

And the airplanes were still pretty new  "back then".

But I think that as Giorgio said, it will be "knocked back" when successive coats are added ... after all, he's a master at "knocking it" -- out of the ballpark.  (or as you say on the other side ... GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

Gene K

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

I like the overdone fading for sure and as you say, it will be knocked back later on (something that I need to learn.)

39 minutes ago, Gene K said:

And the airplanes were still pretty new  "back then".

But I think that as Giorgio said, it will be "knocked back" when successive coats are added ...

Gene pretty much said it all, Christer; I will only add that the bottom side will also have pylons and weapons and drop tanks, so the knock-back effect is going to be even more evident.

Lastly, an overall toning down of too stark contrasts is always possible after decalling, and I sometimes use it to blend in everything and give the model a more realistic look. Truth be told, it's going to be my first model finished in a wrap-around camouflage, so I'm also sort of learning as I go ... 😉

39 minutes ago, Gene K said:

after all, he's a master at "knocking it" -- out of the ballpark.  (or as you say on the other side ... GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

:rofl: Yes, let's just hope this model doesn't end up like that HR ball

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Fine work Giemme.

Nice idea about the Future though.

We all know how things can get attached.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Blue tack is definitely .... tacky and, to answer @massimo's question :smile: , it did happen to me to have residuals when painting a BF109G6 (masking on top of Tamiya paints, actually, but I don't want to take the chance any more :nono: )

Ciao

• Like 3

Lovely job Giorgio, I really like the variation you've got there.

You've been using 'patience' again, haven't you? :) 

• Haha 3

It's a shame the pre-shading disappeared but that is not so unusual. However, the paint  job and post-shading turned out very well :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Lovely job Giorgio, I really like the variation you've got there.

You've been using 'patience' again, haven't you? :) 

Yes, this time the built-in version - I didn't need to resort to the canned one. Not so far, at least.  :rofl: :rofl:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I can't help noticing that looks bloody marvellous Giorgio. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony, you're too kind :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

It's a shame the pre-shading disappeared but that is not so unusual. However, the paint  job and post-shading turned out very well :clap2:

It was a bit annoying, but 20 more minutes at the airbrush for post-shading sorted it. It is a sort of nerve-wrecking task though, as it's harder to control than just airbrushing multiple thin coats on top of very dark lines :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 3

On 13/06/2018 at 22:47, The Spadgent said:

Well that looks a bit of alright. 😎

John

Cheers J, thanks! :thumbsup:

Here we go, the WE brought some painting on the model (along with pool time, BBQ and all sort of amenities :wink: )

Airbrushing the first camouflage color following the brushed demarcation lines turned out to be helpful also in terms of the subsequent masking: identifying the right spots to place the blue tack rolls was a lot quicker this way

dav

dav

I then airbrushed Lifecolor FS34092, as usual thinned with Future

dav

dav

After a few minutes, I did post-shade it using a mix of the base color with Lifecolor Matt Light Grey (I wanted a faded effect but not too blunt of a color hue, hence the light grey instead of white)

dav

I forgot to take a pic of the underside, sorry :banghead:

Then a protective Future coat, let cure overnight and masked for the last camo color, Lifecolor FS36081

dav

dav

So here she is, as pictured last night at midnight:

dav

I'll probably do the post-shading and protecting clear coat tonight, then the big reveal ... I'm positive there's going to be touch ups to do, let's see to what extent ... :frantic:

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Me too.

So, you've had some pool time! The temperature in ours refuses to rise above 25 despite the solar cover, because we havn't had more than two consecutive sunny days in the last couple of weeks.SWMBO insists on 26 before she will go in, and I'm not really interested until the air temperature gets to about 35. The forecast for the next 10 days shows more sun and higher temperatures so we shall see.

John

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CedB said:

That looks marvellous Giorgio - can't wait for the big reveal! :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: I just hope it won't be too disappointing .... 😱

18 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too.

So, you've had some pool time! The temperature in ours refuses to rise above 25 despite the solar cover, because we havn't had more than two consecutive sunny days in the last couple of weeks.SWMBO insists on 26 before she will go in, and I'm not really interested until the air temperature gets to about 35. The forecast for the next 10 days shows more sun and higher temperatures so we shall see.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:  26 is our limit too, especially for the girls. Anyway it was a comfy 28+ yesterday, so... 🙂

Ciao

• Like 1