It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

18 minutes ago, giemme said:

I did consider skipping the SUU 30s - or whatever Italeri intended that stuff to be - but that would leave me with two empty pilons, considering what the kit supplies.

Its unusual for ever pylon to be loaded, tended to be loaded from center line out, with ecm and sidewinder on outer pylons so have the next outer most pylons empty would still be accurate

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but for some reason I can't continue writing or even edit the empty post above.

Giorgio: As mentioned above, no matter what armament configuration, there are always empty pylons.

I think the center pylon is empty, then the next two pylons left and right to it carry a Rockeye. The AGM-65 come next. The outer pylon carries two AIM-9M Sidewinders on one side, while the other side carries the ECM pod.

Speaking of Sidewinders. I have the beautiful F-16 from Tamiya and I find the color instructions for the Sidewinder very accurate. The A-10 has the same AIM-9M. Check out this as a little reference.

43319580252_44feec7bc0_b.jpgAIM9M

Ramon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/07/2018 at 14:21, neil5208 said:

Its unusual for ever pylon to be loaded, tended to be loaded from center line out, with ecm and sidewinder on outer pylons so have the next outer most pylons empty would still be accurate

On 12/07/2018 at 21:41, Sting67 said:

Sorry, but for some reason I can't continue writing or even edit the empty post above.

Giorgio: As mentioned above, no matter what armament configuration, there are always empty pylons.

I think the center pylon is empty, then the next two pylons left and right to it carry a Rockeye. The AGM-65 come next. The outer pylon carries two AIM-9M Sidewinders on one side, while the other side carries the ECM pod.

Speaking of Sidewinders. I have the beautiful F-16 from Tamiya and I find the color instructions for the Sidewinder very accurate. The A-10 has the same AIM-9M. Check out this as a little reference.

Ramon

Thank you both, Neil and Ramon :thumbsup: See below for pylons and ordnance

On 15/07/2018 at 00:54, The Spadgent said:

Lovin’ the UC wire detail and the open panels look great. Time well spent that man. 😀

John

Cheers Johnny, thanks! :thumbsup: 

Not much time for modelling during last WE - I had friends over, food and drink was had, then it was very hot so had to spend some time in the pool .... I know, tough life 😄

Anyway, I did some prepping for pylons and ordnance, so here's what I have

dav

and here's the ordnance and POD

dav

That would be as per Ramon's suggested configuration, that is central pylon empty, the two outer ones carrying a POD and the two sidewinders, the two immediately inboard of those again empty, and then the remaining rockets and bombs as shown above

The back of the AIM9-Ms has been drilled out:

dav

I did tidy up all the pylons, now I need to do the same for the ordnance - quite time consuming, but then I should have everything ready for one last priming session.

Question for those "in the know": were the pylons camouflaged? What I mean is if they were painted actually following the Europe 1 scheme or just a solid color, relevant to the area where they were mounted.

Thanks in advance fr any help, and all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

On 1/29/2018 at 11:45 AM, giemme said:

Hi everybody;

it's Monday, so how about a progress report? :coolio:

More work done on the IP, in terms of dry brushing some Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey and brush painting light green on the outer edge of some of the gauges. Not very visible from this pic, though

dav

Maybe a bit better in next

dav

I glued the printed clear acetate to the PE IP frames with a smear of CA gel, refined the protruding film with a razor blade and glued in place on the resin IP again using CA gel.

A bit of detail painting and Tamiya Clear Green on the square screen to the right completed the job. The macro effect is totally unforgiving here, showing things that I couldn't see even with magnifiers, but that's not unusual ... :whistle:

BTW, the IP isn't completed yet, because I still have to paint and glue in a small PE lever on the left side, but I'll do that later - don't want to risk pinging it off while handling the tub and IP when inserting them into the fuselage halves :chair: 

The coaming received a dry brush with Dark Gull Grey, and a second selective one with Light Gull Grey

dav

The HUD projector was initially painted light green; I then added a blob of PVA to simulate the lens, and completed it brushing on some Tamiya Clear Green

dav

Some detail painting done on the tub too

dav

dav

dav

It needs a bit of touch up, but it's essentially done. Throttle and control stick still to paint, but I'll put them in only at the end of the build, anyway.

I also brush painted some Aqua Gloss on the windshield and canopy, prior to gluing the PE bits on them

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Excuse me sir, but what Agua Gloss actually is?

• Like 2

So, Giemme, on to the underwing stores now.

All looking good sir.

No modeling done, well with this heat and a cool pool + BBQ who blames you.

I had our Grand daughter`s 3rd Birthday party to go to, life...

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Borisz said:

Excuse me sir, but what Agua Gloss actually is?

With all due respect, Borisz, there's no need to repeat the entire body of a post to which you are replying. It just takes a minimum of effort to edit your quote  down to just the part that applies. 

Gene K

4 hours ago, giemme said:

dav

Hello Giorgio,
looks good. Just switch the position of the ECM pod and the Sidewinders. They have to go vice versa.
Look at this:

79-0204_1.jpg
Here you see a very nice configuration. My A-10 will also have this loadout.

The ECM Pod has to be painted in FS34092

Ramon

Edited by Sting67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sting67 said:

looks good. Just switch the position of the ECM pod and the Sidewinders. They have to go vice versa.

I was under the impression that ECM/sidewinders can be mounted either way. Pictures posted here 

and a quick image search seem to confirm this. Now, are they actually swappable or is it a matter of specific wiring which depends on the airframe/unit, I have no idea.

You can also tell in one of Keith's pictures that the pylons are camouflaged according to the scheme.

Excellent work Giorgio, looking forward to the result!

• Thanks 1

Hello Giorgio,

Very nice job, and realistic ordnance !!

That's great !! Another splendid add to your collection !! :partytime:

I really must restart mine !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hello Giorgio,

as gota mentioned, the ECM Pod and the Sidewinder positions are swapable. However, the most common position is the one I showed you. You can see it on most pics.
By the way, it looks like some pylons are completely abscent using the current loadout scheme.

The center pylon is completely abscent and the pylon next to the ECM Pod and the Sidewinders.

Ciao

Ramon

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

So, Giemme, on to the underwing stores now.

All looking good sir.

No modeling done, well with this heat and a cool pool + BBQ who blames you.

I had our Grand daughter`s 3rd Birthday party to go to, life...

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Hope you had a great time too :smile:

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Going to look excellent with the loadout in place Giorgio! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thank you :thumbsup: Should hopefully look busy enough ...

12 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi Giorgio,

your progress is amazing!!!!

I love every bit of it!!! 

and all those pylons....it's gonna be rather busy!!!

Hey Massimo ,great to hear from you :thumbsup:  As above, should hopefully look busy enough

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The array of loadout options give this every impression of a flying Swiss Army knife Giorgio!

Stately progress as always. :thumbsup2:

That's a very evocative image, Tony :thumbsup: :winkgrin: Thanks!

47 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio,

Very nice job, and realistic ordnance !!

That's great !! Another splendid add to your collection !! :partytime:

I really must restart mine !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers Dennis, thanks! :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Hello Giorgio,
Look at this:

Here you see a very nice configuration. My A-10 will also have this loadout.

Ramon

1 hour ago, gota said:

I was under the impression that ECM/sidewinders can be mounted either way. Pictures posted here 

and a quick image search seem to confirm this. Now, are they actually swappable or is it a matter of specific wiring which depends on the airframe/unit, I have no idea.

You can also tell in one of Keith's pictures that the pylons are camouflaged according to the scheme.

Excellent work Giorgio, looking forward to the result!

18 minutes ago, Sting67 said:

Hello Giorgio,

as gota mentioned, the ECM Pod and the Sidewinder positions are swapable. However, the most common position is the one I showed you. You can see it on most pics.
By the way, it looks like some pylons are completely abscent using the current loadout scheme.

The center pylon is completely abscent and the pylon next to the ECM Pod and the Sidewinders.

Ciao

Ramon

Thank you Ramon and gota :thumbsup: I positioned the pylons according to the instructions, and took for granted ( :chair: that the ECM Pod and the Sidewinder launcher were swappable - so I think I'll go for the most common configuration.

As for some pylons being missing, you can find pics like this in Internet

a-10-thunderbolt-ii_001.jpg

so I think I'll leave them in even if they are empty - I think it contributes to the busy look 😉

Ciao

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

This has answered so many of my own questions thanks to your hard work Giorgio and that of the of the contributors so thanks for that.

It's looking great, I can't wait to restart work on mine.

Thanks Roger, glad if this can be of any help :thumbsup:

BTW @Sting67 I remembered I have this pic of the actual 79-0186, that clearly shows the Sidewinder launcher mounted port side, so I think I'm gonna go with that configuration:

79-0186 - box_seat_over_the_hell_2

Too bad the retractable ladder bay door isn't visible enough, I can't really tell the art on it. It looks like a lizard on a dark background (Italeri's decal sheet sports it, but that's no guarantee ... :devil: )

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Oh by the way, since I had never seen it mentioned before actually opening the kit box, I should say Hasegawa's dual missile adapter looks much, much better:

nPKDZfm.jpg

Edited by gota
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gota said:

Oh by the way, since I had never seen it mentioned before actually opening the kit box, I should say Hasegawa's dual missile adapter looks much, much better:

It actually looks a totally different kind of equipment .... 😕 

Ciao

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great work as always Giorgio!

Thanks Cookie, glad you like it :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I don't know if you've already gotten a hold of some LAU-117's rails for the Mavericks, but Modern Hobbies sells a nice set.

You, devil .... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hi everybody; quick update (might also be the last one before I leave for my holidays :coolio: )

here are the Maverick launchers, as supplied by Italeri

dav

Definitely not up to Modern Hobbies standard, but I think I'll content myself about them.

So here's another bunch of stuff ready for priming:

dav

Some of the pylons and pieces of ordnance still missing, because I had to re-glue them in some places, so I'll complete the tidying up when they have set; you may note that three of the pylons in the above pics had the locator pins for weapons removed, as those are the ones remaining empty.

Obvious, I hear you say ... but when I did my BAe Harrier GR9A, it wasn't that obvious to me, and thanks to a fellow BMer (can't recall the name now) I was able to recover in time :chair:  So I just thought I'd mention it, in case someone notices anything else obvious I forgot to do :winkgrin: 

As I said, I might or might not be able to post another update before I leave for California, but either way I'll keep an eye on you guys! :snorkle: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 11