It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

Great progress, Giorgio! I'll borrow your idea of brush painting the demarcation lines with highly diluted paint :)

Looking forward to the unmasking!

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work with the camo! Also awaiting the reveal! :)

Håkan

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice Giemme.

Cannot wait for the reveal.

Simon.

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great progress, Giorgio! I'll borrow your idea of brush painting the demarcation lines with highly diluted paint :)

Looking forward to the unmasking!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks guys, no pressure then, right? :frantic: :rofl:  :rofl:

Borrow away Jaime, I'll be glad if it can be of any help :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice post shade Giorgio. A man after my own heart. Looking stunning, I’m deffo going to use that camo idea on the Lanc. 😍

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, very kind of you :thumbsup:

So last night I completed the job: here's a quick pic after post-shading the dark grey

dav

And after more than one hour peeling off tape and blue tack, I had this:

dav

dav

I didn't expect it to be perfect right away, but could have used less issues... :chair: The blue tack actually left some residuals, despite the protective Future coats; they should normally vanish under more clear coats :fingerscrossed:

Anyway: port side needs some paint touch up on the FS34102; I forgot to mention that, when post-shading FS34092, I didn't put the cap on my airbrush tank, and inadvertently spilled a paint blob on the bottom of port wing (see also below). This probably leaked underneath the blue tack rolls.

dav

Starboard looks OK though:

dav

Bottom view

dav

and here's the main cock-up I mentioned before

dav

Some touch ups to do around the gear bays, too

dav

dav

And here too (this one was expected, since I realized I had incorrectly painted the demarcation line while masking for FS34092

dav

All in all I'm pretty happy with the overall effect - now just a bit more of masking chore and re-spraying (and some touch-ups by brush for the smaller areas). Next time, though.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 9

Nice camo! A pity with the blue tak residue though.

My next investment will be panzer putty or equivalent masking putty. Got the impression that it's easier to handle and don't leave a mess on the object.

Håkan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

That looks great Giorgio. It won't take much to tidy up the areas where it's required.  

Thanks Roger :thumbsup: Yes, hopefully not a big deal with touch ups - only a bit of a chore, as I said :banghead: :smile:

41 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

My next investment will be panzer putty or equivalent masking putty. Got the impression that it's easier to handle and don't leave a mess on the object.

Håkan

Cheers Håkan, thank you :thumbsup:

As for the residual, I always save used blue tack, as it's still sticky but without leaving residuals at all - this time I just hadn't got enough of it and had to use a lot of brand new one. 

I had the same problem with this kit a while ago

rlm74_9

but in the end all residuals disappeared, after gloss coats and weathering and the final flat coat

DSCF2928-

Ciao

• Like 8

Yeah, I've noticed that too, that used tak works better. Seems to have worked nice with gloss cote and weathering! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

John @Biggles87, Keith, Håkan, Ced, Cookie, John @The Spadgent, Simon and Tony: thank you very much for the praise and confidence! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There she is, after the touch ups and a protective Future coat

dav

dav

dav

I ended up masking only for the big overspray on the bottom side of port wing, for the rest I did fix the issues by airbrushing freehand or with a regular brush (especially around the gear bays  and on the smaller camo areas)

What do we think?

Ciao

• Like 12

On 19/06/2018 at 12:59, Azgaron said:

Håkan

it's a nice product, but it kinda runs/droops over time, you can't make the sausage like with blutack, it droops like a pudding over time and with grilles etc it can be a problem because it goes through the openings to...

With regards to the model, nice painting, wonder how it will proceed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

Perfect! 👍

Thanks Roger, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

With regards to the model, nice painting, wonder how it will proceed. 

Cheers Silenoz, thanks :thumbsup:

Next tasks are:

-gluing in the leading edge slats

-paint the blue fin tops (I'm not using the decals as they are, here; I will cut out the white part and use only that)

-test fit the shark mouth decal (actually, a paper copy of it), to see where I need to fill in with black paint

-now that the main gear bays are back to the light, modify the main struts to add some details

-decals ..... 

Ciao

1 hour ago, giemme said:

What do we think?

Looks really very, very good G!

As to what I think - speaking purely personally, the post shading is a little light for me at the moment, as I don't recall seeing a Hog quite that faded. I do realise that the final varnish coats may well tone it down a bit, and it by no means detracts from a brilliant paint job! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

As to what I think - speaking purely personally, the post shading is a little light for me at the moment, as I don't recall seeing a Hog quite that faded. I do realise that the final varnish coats may well tone it down a bit, and it by no means detracts from a brilliant paint job! :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: In real life the post shading effect is not so stark - the light I use to take pics on the bench isn't the best possible. As usual, though, I prefer to have a slightly more pronounced effect now, at the risk to have to tone it down later, rather than viceversa.

Decals, weathering and the final flat coat are going to dramatically reduce the effect (at least, that's what has happened to me so far :coolio: 😏 )

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice work tidying up the paint job! Looks great! :)

@Silenoz, thanks for the info about panzer putty. Yeah I've noticed it's pretty much looks like Spidermans black suit! :)

Think I'll get some anyway, and will probably use both.

Håkan

• Thanks 1