It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

23 minutes ago, Gene K said:

OK, AFAIK and IMHO, GM's PPP is ETS-friendly ... . 

Giorgio, do you have a link to your MT KT?

It all sure works great as evidenced by your builds!!

:rofl: 

Still, I don't get what MT KT means ... :confused:  :)

Ciao

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Thanks Giorgio, I'm getting low on Tamiya tape,and it's redulously expensive here so I think I might try some.

John

You're welcome - and Tamiya tape is bl...y expensive everywhere, I guess ...

Ciao

27 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Good, thanks! Here in the US I got mine here.

Gene K

Even cheaper, good for you :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Quick update, since I managed to do some modelling last night.

Here's the bottom fuselage joint with the tail planes after sanding/polishing

dav

Viewing from the top, port side is good

dav

Starboard not that much, a bit gappy

dav

So out came the yogurt cup 0.1mm styrene :wink:  :D :

dav

Tracing the shape

dav

and after cutting, I put it in and glued with Tamiya Green Cap. Tidying up TBD once cured

I also did a dry fit of the leading edge slats

dav

dav

They were too wide of a good 1mm, so I had to trim their outboard edge to make them fit

Then I glued the tail fins on

dav

some gaps on the joints here too

dav

dav

That's what the pics show; what they don't show is that early this morning, before leaving home, I decided to check if the tail fins settled properly, and port one snapped off right away ... :chair:  :banghead:

Well. I'll fix that in the next installment; that's it for now, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking quite A-10ish now, shame about the fin but nothing you won’t be able to fix I’m sure.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:  I'm gonna have to use some CA gel to hold the fin in place; this should allow me some time to play with the correct positioning and hopefully offer a stronger bond. Fingers crossed

Ciao

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good tip for filling the gaps Giorgio, thanks.

Looking very Hoggy now :)

Cheers Ced, thanks :thumbsup:  glad to be of any help :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Giemme, a question sir.

Talc a C/A mix. What ratio Talc to C/A ?

For further reference that is, I should add.

Simon.

Simon, not sure about the actual ratio because I normally eyeball it, but I would say 1 (talc) to 5 (CA) maximum. What I do is to pour some CA on a small piece of alu kitchen foil, drop some talc just beside it and drag some into the CA with the point of a toothpick - then I start mixing till I reach the consistency I need, adding talc only little by little. You don't want it to turn white, because in that case it will set immediately, no way to use it on your model; a few attempts should give you the confidence to use this technique :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, massimo said:

Taking shape really well!!!:yes:

Very interesting that putty!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup:  PPP is interesting, not an all round putty but very helpful in some cases :)

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking rather splendid G. Never mind about popping the odd bit off here and there. It’s all part of the fun. :christmas:

Johnny.

I guess it is :D Thanks Johnny :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 4

Hi

Just registered on those boards to say this is looking great! I built the kit a few months ago (still waiting for its charges, https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=33356&p=albums=38188), and I love to see how you detailed and fixed all the little things I couldn't be bothered with, or realised were askew once I was done painting :)

I can tell you I had tons of problems with the main gear, and had to settle for a slight misalignment after breaking it a couple times. The main gear larger bay doors also sit too low if you follow instructions.

I'm curious to see how you decide to paint the bird, as the instructions are a mix of two schemes (starboard profile has the light green nose) and I couldn't find much info on when and where those schemes were used. Stencilling instructions are a joke, although this is easy to spot with photo references. The decals went down great, what little silvering I got was mainly my own doing. I would paint the fin blue tops rather than use the decals if I had to do it again though, the white thunderbolt should be easy to cut.

Eager to see the result!

And thanks to Old Viper Tester for the great pictures! Wish I had seen those while doing the build.

Edited by gota
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Simon, not sure about the actual ratio because I normally eyeball it, but I would say 1 (talc) to 5 (CA) maximum. What I do is to pour some CA on a small piece of alu kitchen foil, drop some talc just beside it and drag some into the CA with the point of a toothpick - then I start mixing till I reach the consistency I need, adding talc only little by little. You don't want it to turn white, because in that case it will set immediately, no way to use it on your model; a few attempts should give you the confidence to use this technique :thumbsup: 

Thank you very much for the reply Giemme.

With this information in hand I will have a go on the next build(s) if needed.

Simon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

...  1 (talc) to 5 (CA) maximum.

Giorgio,

Can the TACM (Talc CA Mix) be worked with the TBS (Tooth Brush Sander), or is the dried filler too hard? I assume you don't need/use accelerator?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great works Giorgio!

Very nice :clap:

Thanks Matteo :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, gota said:

Hi

Just registered on those boards to say this is looking great! I built the kit a few months ago (still waiting for its charges, https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=33356&p=albums=38188), and I love to see how you detailed and fixed all the little things I couldn't be bothered with, or realised were askew once I was done painting :)

I can tell you I had tons of problems with the main gear, and had to settle for a slight misalignment after breaking it a couple times. The main gear larger bay doors also sit too low if you follow instructions.

I'm curious to see how you decide to paint the bird, as the instructions are a mix of two schemes (starboard profile has the light green nose) and I couldn't find much info on when and where those schemes were used. Stencilling instructions are a joke, although this is easy to spot with photo references. The decals went down great, what little silvering I got was mainly my own doing. I would paint the fin blue tops rather than use the decals if I had to do it again though, the white thunderbolt should be easy to cut.

Eager to see the result!

And thanks to Old Viper Tester for the great pictures! Wish I had seen those while doing the build.

Gota, thanks for the heads up on the troubles you had with the kit, and welcome on board :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Thank you very much for the reply Giemme.

With this information in hand I will have a go on the next build(s) if needed.

Simon.

Glad if I can be of any help, Simon :)

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Giorgio,

Can the TACM (Talc CA Mix) be worked with the TBS (Tooth Brush Sander), or is the dried filler too hard? I assume you don't need/use accelerator?

Gene K

Gene, in my experience it can be worked with any sanding device; easier if you do it just after a few minutes curing, it worked perfectly good with ETS/TBS :wink:  You don't need accelerator because talc acts like that.

HTH

Ciao

• Like 2