It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

Hi everybody;

as anticipated, I did some tidying up on the wings during the week; almost completely sorted now, I just need to add some piping/cabling in the ailerons housing.

I got rid of gaps and ridges, filling in with CA+talc and sanding with all the possible devices, including ETS :wink: 

dav

dav

dav

dav

All the rescribing has been done too, and the detailing of the stall breaks: cut in two parts and alu tape strips added on the bottom side

dav

dav

dav

dav

Main gear bay back parts faired in

dav

dav

dav

dav

The flare dispensers are really badly moulded and shaped, barely acceptable in this scale - a resin AM replacement would be very welcome here ... :( 

There's actually one more thing I need to do, which is filling in around the wing tip flare dispenser - it's going to be a PPP job; all in all, I'm quite confident I'll be able to glue the wings to the fuselage by the end of the week :) 

Oh, and I must not forget to get rid of those nasty pin marks inside the gear bays :frantic:  :fight: 

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13

See, told you that would soon be sorted! Very neat tidying up G, coming along nicely - I like the little touch with the foil on the stall breaks too - little things like that make all the difference!

K

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

See, told you that would soon be sorted! Very neat tidying up G, coming along nicely - I like the little touch with the foil on the stall breaks too - little things like that make all the difference!

K

Cheers K, thanks! :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

All I could think of when I saw ETS was extra terrestrial sponge!! Then I realised that it must be electric toothbrush sander.

Yes that's the one :) Although I would like to try an extra terrestrial sponge, from Krypton preferably :D  :D 

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

We knew that you would be able to sort those little problems out Giemme.

Well done mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Excellent progress on the punching, plunging and sanding Giorgio.

Hogtastic.:clap:

Thanks Tony! :thumbsup:

Good to have you back :)

Ciao

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I have enough kits

Wot?? Blasphemy!! It's just not possible.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the appreciation, Johnny :thumbsup:

As for the kit, when you're up for hard self punishment, get an Italeri kit, you won't be disappointed... 

Ciao

• Haha 2

Hi everybody, time for WE progress report :) 

Completing the job on the wings: PPP to fill the join around the flare dispensers

dav

dav

Then some details added to the aileron housings

dav

dav

Copper wire, solder wire and brass pipe used for the task. I used tiny drops of CA to hold the parts in place, then Tamiya Green Cap to soften the plastic and permanently bond them in

Following  @CedB's advice :wink:  :D , I recently acquired this set of masking tapes

dav

which promptly found usage in joining the wings to the fuselage

dav

dav

Looks OK-ish to me :)

After one night curing, port side wing root looked good as it was

dav

while starboard needed some filling with PPP

dav

The bottom seams were dealt with, as well, and the rescribing completed

dav

More PPP here, but also a small styrene shim (0.1mm) to fill the gap in the middle part of the fuselage (barely visible here)

dav

Then it was time for the ventral fins: more work for PPP here, as you can see

dav

dav

Here after filling in with PPP and refining using a wet makeup brush

dav

dav

So then I thought: let's try a dryfit for the tail planes

dav

:hmmm: Not quite right, you see ... I think this is partly self induced, so to correct that awkward angle, I used the aforementioned masking tape to add thickness in the desired spot, to wit:

dav

and here's what I got afterwards

dav

Much better, but will require some work underneath: here's a shot taken before putting the tape shims in

dav

Looking good, right? Not anymore, after correcting the angle - that'll make for some tricky sanding ... :frantic: 

I added the two vent covers, typical on this version of the AC

dav

dav

I reduced the thickness from inside before gluing this on, because it looked rather chunky. Here's the other one (same treatment)

dav

dav

They both need a bit of tidying up, but later for that.

Here's the current state, while the tail planes are setting:

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The Hog looks great Giemme.

The hard work is paying off.

Not long before some primer?

I like the cooling vents, thinned out to a more realistic thickness.

Cheers Simon and Rose, thanks :thumbsup: I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you re the primer, though: I've yet to tackle the engines. Wait and see, that part is going to be fun! :frantic:  :frantic:

Ciao

15 minutes ago, giemme said:

Cheers Simon and Rose, thanks :thumbsup: I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you re the primer, though: I've yet to tackle the engines. Wait and see, that part is going to be fun! :frantic:  :frantic:

Ciao

Sorry about that Giemme, I forgot about the engines and the tail feathers too.

Plus the under wing stores.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Tail feathers are only going to take a few minutes, and I'll tackle the underwing stores separately.

Engines, instead ... Italeri got the wrong blades count, and they are so visible on this aircraft ...

Ciao

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, giemme said:

Tail feathers are only going to take a few minutes, and I'll tackle the underwing stores separately.

Engines, instead ... Italeri got the wrong blades count, and they are so visible on this aircraft ...

Ciao

That is damn typical, don`t they teach them to count?

Simon.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio and I'm pleased the tape is getting good use! :)

:thumbsup: Thanks Ced :)

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That is damn typical, don`t they teach them to count?

Simon.

Apparently not. Maybe it isn't a required skill for mould designers? :confused::D

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Another good update G, all coming along very nicely! I like that trick of using the tape to level up the horizontal stabilizer - great idea!

K

Cheers K, thanks :thumbsup:

The tape trick is one of the many contributions I picked up from estimated BM members - in this case @Gene K:thumbsup2:

Pretty effective, ain't it? :wink:

Ciao

• Like 2

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Ciao

Good looking job so far.

I agree with you that the engines are hard to fix. But I always think that most things can be fixed, somehow.

I have a few engine intakes from Quickboost that actually are meant to fix the also wrong blades of the Hobbyboss A-10. Nevertheless the pieces perfectly fit into the Italeri engines.

Although, these Quickboost engines look very good, I still think that the fan should also here be a bit deeper. I'm still thinking what to do with this section, either overtaking the parts as they are, or modifying them so that they get the appropriate depth. Or trying to build custom fans.

By the way, at some places on the net the Hasegawa A-10 is regarded as being the best in 1/72. Even one or two old reference books say that. But to that time the Italeri A-10 was still not launched. I have both kits and when I compare them I can asure you that the Hasegawa one is not better. Besides, it has raised panel lines and the outlines and dimensions are very much the same of Italeri's.

Ramon

Edited by Sting67
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, whiskey said:

What's this PPP you use and it's purpose?

Perfect Plastic Putty.  It’s a filler with plus and minus points.  Pluses: really easy to manipulate, nice fine grain, brilliant for small-ish gaps.  Minuses: not so great for bigger areas, mostly because it doesn’t always take kindly to being sanded once dry (in my experience).  It’s really good stuff; I use it a lot.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
Appalling typos!
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Although, these Quickboost engines look very good, I still think that the fan should also here be a bit deeper. I'm still thinking what to do with this section, either overtaking the parts as they are, or modifying them so that they get the appropriate depth. Or trying to build custom fans.

My first attempt will be scratch building the fans; still thinking on how to do that, but I will anyway report here all the steps :pilot:

4 hours ago, whiskey said:

Perfect Plastic Putty: https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/fr/scale-plastics/87-perfect-plastic-putty-5060243901095.html

Ooops, Crisp beat me to it :) I totally agree with what he says

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

And what's special about the tape? ( I seem to have missed Ced's recommendation)

John

It's Kabuki tape, much less expansive than Tamiya's; that box with ten rolls costed me 15€ incl. shipping from Japan.

My first impression is that it's a very good tape - probably a bit stickier than Tamiya's, but that can easily be fixed, if it is of any concern

Ciao

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, whiskey said:

OK, AFAIK and IMHO, GM's PPP is ETS-friendly ... . 

Giorgio, do you have a link to your MT KT?

It all sure works great as evidenced by your builds!!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Haha 2