It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

Hi everybody;

I don't think the subject needs any introduction, as it's a well known aircraft. Slightly out of my normal interests (which are mainly fighters or fighter/bombers), it is also the type my friend and fellow BMer @Gene K flew in the second part of his career.

So let's see: the kit

dav

aftermarkets that I'll be using

dav

and the specific aircraft I'm modelling

dav

Which corresponds to this, in real life (pic from https://f16crewchief.deviantart.com/art

76th TFS A-10A No. 1

BTW, does anybody know where to find more pics of this specific airframe? This one seems to be the only one showing up on Internet.

Anyway, I started with a dryfit of the major parts: nose wheel bay

dav

and fuselage

dav

some panel lines not lining up very well in the nose

dav

and underneath

dav

A bit of a gap in the nose U/C bay area too

dav

Port top wing has some moulding defects at the root

dav

and on the outer edge

dav

which not surprisingly led to a bad alignment, when mated with the bottom section

dav

dav

Starboard wing looks much better

dav

dav

test fitting with fuselage

dav

The root joins look better once you apply a little pressure to set the correct dihedral

dav

dav

At this point, I decided to check the fit of the lovely Aires resin tub

dav

which sports a very restrained casting block and a slot to be paired with the inside of the retractable ladder bay

dav

In order to fit it into the fuselage, the areas marked with a red pen need to go

dav

The IP coaming needs to be removed too, because there's a resin part for that too, but later for that.

The kit cockpit mounting tabs need to go as well

dav

so after some scraping with a ball pointed Dremel tool and some cutting with a knife, I got here

dav

This way, the inner part of the ladder bay fits into the tub slot. As for the rest:

dav

Still a loooong way to go .... :frantic:

Comments, hint, tips, suggestions, critiques - all welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 25

Bit of info that might help you...

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=161345

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000073175.html

http://www.2951clss-gulfwar.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/1  (LOADS HERE) 

http://warthognews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/10c-80-0186-caught-at-d-m.html

good luck with the build, I'll be tacking a current spec A-10C in 1/72 at some time I'd be interested to see how this kit shapes up 

PhilB

Edited by philbrad
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 17:48, philbrad said:

Bit of info that might help you...

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=161345

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000073175.html

http://www.2951clss-gulfwar.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/1  (LOADS HERE) 

http://warthognews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/10c-80-0186-caught-at-d-m.html

good luck with the build, I'll be tacking a current spec A-10C in 1/72 at some time I'd be interested to see how this kit shapes up 

PhilB

Great! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, PhilB - I must warn you, though: I'm not the quickest of modellers around here (quite the opposite, in fact :banghead: )

On 10/1/2018 at 17:51, massimo said:

Welcome back!!!

Let's see what you can do with this one!!!;)

Thanks Massimo, great to have you on board :thumbsup:

On 10/1/2018 at 18:40, Biggles87 said:

Wrong scale for me, but I'll tag along if I may in the hope of picking up some tips.

John

Wrong scale for me too, John ... :D Nonetheless, I'll try my best :wink:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Great! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, PhilB - I must warn you, though: I'm not the quickest of modellers around here (quite the opposite, in fact :banghead: )

Ciao

Pleasure, happy to help. I've got a Airfix F-4, Academy F-15E and a Revell F-16CJ to attend to yet. A-10 is on the 'want to do' list. 

Looking at your dry-fit I can see some fit problems with the Italeri offering. Nose fit looks a bit of a flaky. Surprised the Aires resin needs fuselage correction to fit. Only usually found this trying to fit their resin in manufacturers they aren't intended for (as with my Academy F-15E) 

PhilB

• Like 1

Thanks PhilB; it's my first time with Aires resin, but from what I've read from other reputable modellers on here, the fit problems can happen also when used for intended kits. Not a big deal though, just some extra patience and TLC needed :wink:

Ciao

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad you've got another build on the go Giorgio, pulling up a seat.

Cool :thumbsup:  Welcome on board, Cookie!

You grew up in Alaska? Man, you are one for though climates, aren't you?

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I can't wait to see the European 1 scheme

... but you actually know you'll have to wait quite some time, because of my snail pace, don't you? :whistle:  :wink:  :D

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

... but you actually know you'll have to wait quite some time, because of my snail pace, don't you? :whistle:  :wink:  :D

A lot of progress for a snail -- looks like you're going full steam ahead, Giorgio!! I've pulled up my chair to witness what glory you'll bring to this beautiful airplane,

in the perfect scale.:penguin:

Gene K

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gene K said:

in the perfect scale.:penguin:

:D 

Great to have you on board, Gene :thumbsup:

Since I won't be getting any bench time till next WE, have you got any trivia you want to share about your time on the A-10? :) 

Ciao

1 hour ago, giemme said:

... have you got any trivia you want to share about your time on the A-10?

Trivia -- the early batches of the Hog (1981) had a manual Inertial Navigation System -- a fold out map the pilot constructed with scissors, tape, clear sticker paper, and a grease pencil!  The grease pencil also pulled duty while airborne, being used to make notes on the inside of the  canopy, and  some used it to mark dive angels for rolling in.

:phew:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

Trivia -- the early batches of the Hog (1981) had a manual Inertial Navigation System -- a fold out map the pilot constructed with scissors, tape, clear sticker paper, and a grease pencil!  The grease pencil also pulled duty while airborne, being used to make notes on the inside of the  canopy, and  some used it to mark dive angels for rolling in.

:phew:

Gene K

That sounds dangerous when done driving a car. I can't imagine when flying low level with a jet built around a huge gun ... :frantic::D

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

OK, G, I'm here, & I've brought :pizza:and :popcorn:, who's brought the :drink:

Looking forward to this one, a Hog in Euro one in the One True Scale - what's not to like?!

Keith

I've got beer, K! Welcome on board :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Yep, another one sneaking in at the back here, always liked the A-10 :popcorn:

Cheers 06/24, welcome to you too :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi Giorgio!

Glad I found this thread right in the beginning of the build work! It will certainly be another one of your masterpieces and it's a kit I've been eyeing for some time, so I'll be following your work if you don't mind!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am here Giemme, dragging up a seat if I may.

And Keef, I got some beers :drink:.

I have got the Revell 1/48 version stashed away somewhere, I know a different scale but be interesting to see how they compare.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is definitely not my subject area, but as it's you, I'll be sure to follow along. Nice start, but it looks as though you have a long road ahead......

Ian

• Thanks 1

Watching with great interest as I'll be starting the same kit for the Britmodeller 10 Aniversary GB.

Mine will be OOB.

Great to see photos of Andy's model, which look suspiciously like the magazine article I'm reading.

Is that model airbrushed - it looks great?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I built an early issue of this kit very nearly 20 years ago now:

Magnificent! :clap: Welcome on board, Andy :thumbsup:

One question, if I may: I see you modelled your A-10 with the split ailerons, to act as speed brakes. Is this a possible configuration for a parked aircraft? The kit allows for this option, but I couldn't find, from a first quick search, any pictures of airplanes with this feature deployed. TIA

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Watching with great interest as I'll be starting the same kit for the Britmodeller 10 Aniversary GB.

Mine will be OOB.

Welcome to you too :thumbsup: 

Ciao