Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

giemme

It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

All fitted perfectly.

Different distances between locating lugs on aircraft and weapons, to avoid putting the pylon upside-down.

Thanks Tim :thumbsup: 

 

Bank Holiday yesterday in Italy, so despite of the lovely sunny weather, here's a small update 😃

 

Exhaust halves glued, and the turbine faces too

 

 

dav

 

The outside was then primed with Vallejo Grey Primer thinned with Future; once cured, I airbrushed them with Tamiya Gun Metal

dav

 

I couldn't find anything conclusive about the color of the protruding part of these exhausts, although I narrowed the choice down to the dark green tone of the camo scheme or dirty flat metal. Any hints?

 

The top starboard side of the engine nacelle needed some reworking, see the red circle in next pic

engines5

 

This looks like a permanent mould fault, since I spotted the same thing in Ramon's pictures from a few posts back.

After reworking with a round file and some sandpaper

dav

 

Still a bit more to do, but I'll complete the job once joined with the bottom part

I sprayed the innards with Lifecolor Gloss Aircraft Grey

dav

 

These are going to be masked later, so that I can spray dark green on the back section.

 

While all of this was curing, I completed the canopy opening mechanism, drybrushing Dark Gull Grey first followed by Light Gull Grey (and a final flat clear coat )

dav

 

That's it for the day, comments welcome

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems like a sensible use of a Bank Holiday Giorgio. The canopy opening mechanism looks particularly impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, giemme said:

dav

 

I couldn't find anything conclusive about the color of the protruding part of these exhausts, although I narrowed the choice down to the dark green tone of the camo scheme or dirty flat metal. Any hints?

 

Hello Giorgio, again very interesting progress pics!

A few suggestions to treat the engines and engine nacelles.

I would paint the engines in a dark grey like in this picture that shows it very well.

 

The Hogs with the current light grey scheme, however, have these engines in a light grey color.

 

I'm not 100% sure but the dark grey could be FS36081 as used in the Euro 1 (or lizzard) scheme or a close match. Note that slight trace of one of the camouflage greens (probably accidentally) can be seen on the engine exhaust of the pic.

 

The interior of the engine nacelles have two different colors: The larger center of the nacelles is painted in gloss white on all planes (lizzard and ghost).

The aft third section of the nacelles are very likely FS36081. I'm not sure here, as there are very few good quality pics of this section. All I know is that this aft nacelle section is removed during engine repairs, exchanges and maintenance. Look at this sample picture.

 

Although of a poor quality, here are a few further pics of the engine nacelles of a damaged Hog.

 

Hope it helps!

 

Cheers

Ramon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2018 at 21:46, TheBaron said:

That seems like a sensible use of a Bank Holiday Giorgio. The canopy opening mechanism looks particularly impressive!

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: As I said, BBQ + sun bathing + modelling - defintely a good use 😄

On 26/04/2018 at 22:48, Sting67 said:

 

Hello Giorgio, again very interesting progress pics!

A few suggestions to treat the engines and engine nacelles.

I would paint the engines in a dark grey like in this picture that shows it very well.

 

The Hogs with the current light grey scheme, however, have these engines in a light grey color.

 

I'm not 100% sure but the dark grey could be FS36081 as used in the Euro 1 (or lizzard) scheme or a close match. Note that slight trace of one of the camouflage greens (probably accidentally) can be seen on the engine exhaust of the pic.

 

The interior of the engine nacelles have two different colors: The larger center of the nacelles is painted in gloss white on all planes (lizzard and ghost).

The aft third section of the nacelles are very likely FS36081. I'm not sure here, as there are very few good quality pics of this section. All I know is that this aft nacelle section is removed during engine repairs, exchanges and maintenance. Look at this sample picture.

 

Although of a poor quality, here are a few further pics of the engine nacelles of a damaged Hog.

 

Hope it helps!

 

Cheers

Ramon

Interesting stuff as usual, Ramon :thumbsup:

As for the engine interiors: are you positive about the white? With this scheme, the interior surfaces are either Gloss Aircraft Grey or yellow (except the cockpit, of course).

Dark grey seems logical, as emerged at the beginning of this thread while speaking about the ailerons interior color; dark green is also an option for them, and I wondered if it could be the same for the nacelle terminal part.

 

From the link you posted, the exhaust looks camouflaged at the very end - I can see both dark grey and dark green -, while the rest looks like dull metal, with burnt and dirt streaks. 😕  :hmmm:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giemme said:

As for the engine interiors: are you positive about the white? With this scheme, the interior surfaces are either Gloss Aircraft Grey or yellow (except the cockpit, of course).

Dark grey seems logical, as emerged at the beginning of this thread while speaking about the ailerons interior color; dark green is also an option for them, and I wondered if it could be the same for the nacelle terminal part.

 

From the link you posted, the exhaust looks camouflaged at the very end - I can see both dark grey and dark green -, while the rest looks like dull metal, with burnt and dirt streaks. 😕  :hmmm:

 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio,

 

last subject first. The exhaust is, as you see well, dark grey but NOT green. This green you see, seems to be a little accident from a poor masking job when the aircraft was re-painted or retouched with its three camouflage colors. You will see that other aircraft don't have green on the exhaust. For the rest I agree with you that it looks like dull metal. Maybe a dark type of a matt gun metal is a good match, plus the weathering.

 

Regarding the first subject, I'm very sure that on all aircraft (Lizzard, Ghost etc) the middle interior section of the engine nacelles is gloss white. All other interiors, including the gear bays etc are in the so called ADC Grey FS16473 on all old lizzard camouflaged A-10As. Later they switched to gloss white for the landing gear and wheel bays. But I'm sure about the inside of the engine nacelles (see page 24, Colors & Markings #24 - A-10 Warthog ;) )

 

These reference pics of a (ghost grey) Hog has open engine nacelles that clearly show the white interior.

It seems that some pictures don't show the color well, but I will take white on my kit. That seems to be the official color for the middle section of the engine nacelles. However, I have a theory. Maybe in some rare cases the paint ran out and they took the next closest matching color as a replacement for the gloss white. That's only a theory and can, of course, only be verified by ground crew members that worked on the engine :D .

 

Ramon

Edited by Sting67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ramon :thumbsup: 

 

Very long WE because of Labour Day, so here's an update with a bunch of pics; following Ramon's indication I sprayed every modeller's favorite color inside the engine nacelles - gloss white :frantic:, then masked with the cheapo kabuki tape

dav

 

Can you tell I sprayed Gloss White (Tamiya, BTW)? Well, it just need to give an idea of the color, not much is going to be visible once buttoned up 😉

 

I then airbrushed Lifecolor Dark Grey FS36081, and after de-masking:

dav

 

The small paint creep you see on the right part of the left nacelle half was later touched up by brush.

 

Time to glue the exhausts in, but first I wanted to knock back the shiny gun metal effect, as mentioned earlier. Next shot shows before and after the treatment, which consisted in some Dark Grey drybrush, a flat cleat coat and a black tempera wash

dav

 

Here are the two done

dav

 

A dryfit with the exhausts in place shows that there's an alignment tab that has to fit into the groove of the nacelle bottom half

dav

 

so I glued the exhausts in with the nacelle halves dry fitted, and secured them in place with some CA gel

dav

 

Then I proceeded gluing the two halves; how was the fit, I hear you asking? Standard Italeri, I'd say :frantic:

dav

 

dav

 

dav

 

dav

 

Gaps, ridges, misshapes ... nothing dramatic, but in need of a lot of TLC. This will have to wait till I receive the resin intakes, though.

 

So, in the meantime, here's some random tasks I completed: detailing the ailerons hinges, for instance. I used a tape mask to cut a template out of clear acetate

dav

 

dav

 

that allowed me to trace 8 reinforcement plates on alu tape

dav

 

which I then positioned and secured with some TET

dav

 

then I glued these "thingies" on the top ailerons:

dav

 

Any idea of what they are? I have no clear pics of that area :shrug:

 

Next up: nose wheel strut. Here's what we're looking at:

1571.jpg

 

and here's what Italeri supplies

dav

 

First off, I removed the actuator arm as it was already going to break off on first handling; I will pin it back using steel rod (from a paper clip)

dav

 

The wheel bay cover link is simply incorrect: the kit sports a single bracket piece, the real thing is made of two separate brackets. So this came off too

dav

 

The triangular reinforcements on the top part of the leg are incorrect too: they are not solid body as in the kit part, but hollowed out in the middle, so I cut them away

dav

 

This allowed me to reshape the bottom segment, which should be rounded and also the back part of the main segment (round as well)

dav

 

Reinforcements re-built using styrene sheet, 0.5mm thickness

dav

 

I also reshaped the middle supporting plate

dav

 

I cut off the lamps as well, pinned with steel wire and hollowed out 

dav

 

Glued them back in place

dav

 

This was left to cure before doing anything else. Meanwhile, I pinned the actuator arm and replaced the tiny bracket on top of it with brass pipe

dav

 

Bay door: I glued in two small strips, cut from a beer can 😉 

dav

 

Once properly cured, I reshaped them using a Dremel sanding disc, and filled in the gaps with PPP

dav

 

Now I need to add all the cabling and the links to the bay door, glue the actuator arm back in and set it aside waiting for primer. Next time, though :smile:

 

All comments welcome

 

Ciao

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the term is fits where it touches Giemme.

Nice details on the flaps sir.

And your usual eye for detail on the nose wheel leg, micro surgery.

 

Looks like you got some good time at the bench.

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mystery aileron bits look like mass balances to me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

I think the term is fits where it touches Giemme.

Nice details on the flaps sir.

And your usual eye for detail on the nose wheel leg, micro surgery.

 

Looks like you got some good time at the bench.

 

Simon.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: Not as much time as it seems, I've been pretty lazy over last 4 days 😁

 

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The mystery aileron bits look like mass balances to me 

I was thinking the same, Crisp - but couldn't find any pics to confirm it 🤷‍♂️ 

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your tank has very small wheels.....The suspension is very nicely done though.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great progress there Giorgio. Always following with much interest, even if not much posting.

 

Those mass balances are actually connected with the trim tabs.

In the "manual reversion" (hydraulic failure) they are a big help to move the aileron.

Bye

Eugenio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Your tank has very small wheels.....The suspension is very nicely done though.  ;)

Thanks Sarge :thumbsup: It also has big wings ... :whistle: :rofl: 

 

12 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

Great progress there Giorgio. Always following with much interest, even if not much posting.

 

Those mass balances are actually connected with the trim tabs.

In the "manual reversion" (hydraulic failure) they are a big help to move the aileron.

Bye

Eugenio

Thanks Euge, good to hear from you :thumbsup: Looks like I finally found a pic showing it 

A-10A_75-0298_8615.jpg

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are Welcome, Giorgio.

Perhaps I had to be more specific.
The mass balances, fixed to the trim tab, make easier to move the tab itself.
The tab movement generate the aerodynamic force that move the aileron, so for example:
- the control bar moves the trim tab (say) upwards and the trim tab moves the aileron downwards.
The tabs act as servo-actuator for the ailerons.
Those tabs are present only on the upper part of the aileron and iirc the Manual says that the airbrake function of the split ailerons is deactivated in “manual reversion”.

Bye

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Giorgio - I really like the effect you achieved on the exhausts and I'll certainly be trying that :thumbsup:

The fit of the nacelles is a pain eh? I wonder why some manufacturers seem to think this is 'good enough' - is it the design, old moulds or just bad moulding? Who knows :shrug:

 

The work on the u/c looks good too - can't wait to see it after it's had the 'full Giemme treatment' :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

You are Welcome, Giorgio.

Perhaps I had to be more specific.
The mass balances, fixed to the trim tab, make easier to move the tab itself.
The tab movement generate the aerodynamic force that move the aileron, so for example:
- the control bar moves the trim tab (say) upwards and the trim tab moves the aileron downwards.
The tabs act as servo-actuator for the ailerons.
Those tabs are present only on the upper part of the aileron and iirc the Manual says that the airbrake function of the split ailerons is deactivated in “manual reversion”.

Bye

Eugenio

Thanks Eugenio, great insight :thumbsup:

 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Giorgio - I really like the effect you achieved on the exhausts and I'll certainly be trying that :thumbsup:

The fit of the nacelles is a pain eh? I wonder why some manufacturers seem to think this is 'good enough' - is it the design, old moulds or just bad moulding? Who knows :shrug:

 

The work on the u/c looks good too - can't wait to see it after it's had the 'full Giemme treatment' :)

Thanks Ced :thumbsup:  I don't know either about the nacelles, but for sure the mould isn't in its best conditions, looking at other dents I had to sort on one of the top wings 

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giemme said:

looking at other dents I had to sort on one of the top wings 

  

 

Ironic, isn't it Giorgio? Italeri give you dents in the wing tops that you have to sort out, but then they give you a nice smooth nose that you then go & dent....!! :rofl2:

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I missed your update and saw it just now!!!

She's looking really good! and the last details are impressive!!!🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

Ironic, isn't it Giorgio? Italeri give you dents in the wing tops that you have to sort out, but then they give you a nice smooth nose that you then go & dent....!! :rofl2:

 

Keith

:rofl: But wait: the nose had fit problems and wasn't the right shape, so being there ... :whistle: 😄

 

 

31 minutes ago, massimo said:

Sorry I missed your update and saw it just now!!!

She's looking really good! and the last details are impressive!!!🤩

Thanks Massimo, much appreciated :thumbsup:

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everybody;

 

no update today because I was away from home during last WE.

 

However, I do have something to show, as this arrived this morning from the UK

 

dav

 

So I'm now ready to complete the nacelles job  - and very close to primer stage :yahoo:

 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent build so far! :)

 

Håkan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Excellent build so far! :)

 

Håkan

 

Thanks Håkan, glad you like it :thumbsup:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Giorgio.

Your rework of the front u/c reminded me of this:

 

Glad to see you've got your correct blades but help but notice they are for the Hobby Boss kit, let's hope that they fit :police:.

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Glad to see you've got your correct blades but help but notice they are for the Hobby Boss kit, let's hope that they fit :police:.

Yes, this is something that has already come up - in fact, I bought them because Ramon @Sting67 had already tried them and posted a pic of the fit a few pages back.

Even if they shouldn't fit perfectly, an Italeri-like kind of fit would still be good :devil:  😏

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have not a perfectly tight fit. But I find that the margin of fitting is still acceptable. Still a bit of room to move the fans around a bit. It's always a bit difficult to show it on pics well. At least to my view they are good enough. I bought enough of these Intakes for all five kits (4 Italeri, 1 Hasegawa) I have. At the moment I'm fighting with more serious problems of the kit.

Edited by Sting67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most impressed with your work on that leg Giorgio - that's bound to make this really stand out in the final pose! 🍏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...