It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

Well, "she's" definitely a winner!!!!

By the way, Giorgio do you know if the engines' air intakes are the same size and shape with those found on an S-3 Viking?

From a conversation I had with a few friends they told me that I could replace the old Hasegawa S-3 engines' intakes with those from an A-10 because they seem to be the correct size and shape. Do you know anything about this detail?

Cheers

Shalako

• Thanks 1

Brilliant to the eye Giorgio - just superb in craft and finish.

I think the photographic base is actually too distracting from your lovely work however, unless it could be darkened down in tone to make it less visually dominant?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Badder said:

I'm not into making wing'ed things, but I do appreciate the 'beauty' of certain aircraft. The A10 is one of those iconic pieces of hardware that really ticks the boxes,  and you've done the breed proud.

Superb craftsmanship Giorgio.

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks Badder, most appreciated :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, gota said:

Creative save on the antenna and superb finish!

Thank you, sir  :thumbsup: The antenna was a lucky intuition, but sometimes you need that too :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

Well, "she's" definitely a winner!!!!

By the way, Giorgio do you know if the engines' air intakes are the same size and shape with those found on an S-3 Viking?

From a conversation I had with a few friends they told me that I could replace the old Hasegawa S-3 engines' intakes with those from an A-10 because they seem to be the correct size and shape. Do you know anything about this detail?

Cheers

Shalako

Thank you Shalako :thumbsup: I'm sorry but I have no idea about the air intakes, I didn't even know that model before you mentioned it ... 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Brilliant to the eye Giorgio - just superb in craft and finish.

I think the photographic base is actually too distracting from your lovely work however, unless it could be darkened down in tone to make it less visually dominant?

Thank you Tony, I'm glad you like her :thumbsup: As for the base, I've already discarded that idea and resorted to a wooden base with the Flying Tigers patch on. If the varnish I just brushed on dries, that is....

Ciao

• Like 4

Hi everybody; so the Hog got a silver medal at the show:

premio

Don't look at the medal color, the paper on the right says it's silver :coolio: 😄

As you can see, I ended up using a wooden base, varnished with a cherry wood tint, and with the Flying Tigers badge printed on sticky paper.

Here's the show venue:

Mostra

Roughly 900 models on display (aircraft, AFV, ships, cars, dioramas, figures and Sci-Fi), and participants from all over Northern Italy.

I also came back with some goodies:

IMG_20181007_190715

IMG_20181007_190735

Both of the above kits (which are  second hand) will be built in their Italian version :winkgrin: 

And ...

IMG_20181007_190755

.... a typical British subject :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Congratulations Giemme, a well deserved medal.

And looks like you added some interesting kits to the stash, yet another Rhino...

Simon and Rose.

Thanks Simon and Lady Rose! :thumbsup:  the new kits do look interesting, now if I only would speed up a bit in building them ... :rofl: 

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

As above also congrats from me. The Tornado is  a good one,  but a bit tricky (keeping the pylons moving, etc..) and with a fragile front wheel strut. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt! :thumbsup:  No fancy moving parts on the Tornado for me - not even the wings!. thanks for the heads up on the front wheel strut! :thumbsup2: 

2 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Also from me... Congratulations for the Silver Medal!

Ramon

Cheers Ramon, thanks for you advice during the build! :thumbsup: 

26 minutes ago, Courageous said:

A well deserved Silver Giorgio, she looks stunning. More plastic, brilliant.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, thank you! :thumbsup:  More plastic, yes - more fun! :wink: 

20 minutes ago, perdu said:

I will echo the others Giorgio, well done and congratulations for a fully deserved medal

Its been a delight to follow along quietly

b

Thank you Bill, also for patiently following along this 9 month build! :frantic:  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to post an RFI before the end of the week, in the meantime I'll start the WIP for the Skyray - I'll post both links as soon as they are online :winkgrin: 

Have fun you lot!

Ciao

• Like 1

Add my congratulations on the gong G! Again the winner must have been good to beat that cracking Hog! 

I'll be interested to find out what you think of the Airfix Phantom, there's a lot to like about it - apart, in my opinion, from the awful panel lines on the fuselage!! (& a couple of missing vents that Airfix really should have modelled!!) 

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Add my congratulations on the gong G! Again the winner must have been good to beat that cracking Hog!

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup: There were a lot of cracking models, in fact. Plus, consider that I was into the "standard" category, which means modellers that are regular human beings. The Master category there was for multi-awarded modellers, at national and international level - aliens, basically :frantic:The finesse level there was just unbelievable

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'll be interested to find out what you think of the Airfix Phantom, there's a lot to like about it - apart, in my opinion, from the awful panel lines on the fuselage!! (& a couple of missing vents that Airfix really should have modelled!!

I (obviously, I think you know me) had read all about this kit already; in fact, I did ask the vendor at the show if I could inspection the sprues because of the panel lines. He answered I couldn't because it was a sealed box, but he was a modeller himself and he'd recently got hold of the same box himself and claimed it was perfectly good. So I took his word on that and bought the kit; upon a first - very quick - glance, I must say I'm not disappointed;  I mean, nothing like the Airfix Harrier I did last year, those were some trenchy panel lines! :frantic:

As for the missing vents (more than a couple, I read 😠 ), it's a challenge I'd like to take - scratch building them, I mean 😉

Ciao

• Like 4

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I mean, nothing like the Airfix Harrier I did last year, those were some trenchy panel lines! :frantic:

Have a closer look G - the panel lines on the wings, fin & tailplane are fine - those on the fuselage? Well they must have been designed by a different commitee! I have to admit though that I thought the Harrier ones were OK (unlike the Mk1 Spitfire!)

K

• Thanks 1

Hello Giorgio,

Great Hog indeed, and congratulations for your well deserved medal !:mike:

I LMAO about the word "Alien" be carefull for any reaction of our own alien... I mean the one you know too :rofl2:

So the next one is a Skyray ! Great choice once again, I have the Naval fighter serie book about her !

If you need something, feel free to ask !

I have 2 Skyrays on the stash, The Lindberg protoype and the Tamiya one, both at 1/48 scale (Well almost for the Lindberg one)

Guess what has already popped from my distorted mind ???

The Skyray is also interesting through the fact that it was the only Navy aircraft included in the NORAD...

Once again Bravo !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Have a closer look G - the panel lines on the wings, fin & tailplane are fine - those on the fuselage? Well they must have been designed by a different commitee! I have to admit though that I thought the Harrier ones were OK (unlike the Mk1 Spitfire!)

K

I will have a closer look K, thank you :thumbsup:

But if think the Harrier was OK, I'm starting to worry a bit.... :frantic:

9 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio,

Great Hog indeed, and congratulations for your well deserved medal !:mike:

I LMAO about the word "Alien" be carefull for any reaction of our own alien... I mean the one you know too :rofl2:

So the next one is a Skyray ! Great choice once again, I have the Naval fighter serie book about her !

If you need something, feel free to ask !

I have 2 Skyrays on the stash, The Lindberg protoype and the Tamiya one, both at 1/48 scale (Well almost for the Lindberg one)

Guess what has already popped from my distorted mind ???

The Skyray is also interesting through the fact that it was the only Navy aircraft included in the NORAD...

Once again Bravo !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:

Taking up your offer, I could use some more info about the cockpit and seat :smile:

4 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Late as usual, congratulations on the medal, well deserved.

John

Cheers John, thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, giemme said:

But if think the Harrier was OK, I'm starting to worry a bit.... :frantic:

Your comment on the Harrier worried me too G, as I really couldn't remember what the panel lines were like - so I went upstairs & dug it out of its box. And I hate to say but to my eyes the panel lines on it are even finer than the 'good' ones on the Phantom.... maybe I need stronger glasses  :nerd:

But we all see things differently don't we, so I wouldn't worry too much - & I'm sure you'll produce another masterpiece from the Phantom kit! :)

K

Wowza. Beautiful, beautiful work Giorgio.

well deserved medal. Just had a bit of a catch up as I’ve been a bit busy over the past week.  You can be really proud of that one. Looking forward to the skyray.

Johnny.😎

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Your comment on the Harrier worried me too G, as I really couldn't remember what the panel lines were like - so I went upstairs & dug it out of its box. And I hate to say but to my eyes the panel lines on it are even finer than the 'good' ones on the Phantom.... maybe I need stronger glasses  :nerd:

G - I am an idiot! It's not stronger glasses I need, but to remember where I left my memory! Not only did I completely forget that Airfix had done a new Harrier GR9 but also the cracking job you'd made of building one - despite having followed your buid from the start! I was talking about the new GR1/3 kit that they'd done....!! 

I can just imagine you being as puzzled by me thinking the Harrier's panel lines were fine, as me wondering how you could think they were trenchy....!!

Communications breakdown.....!! :)

Keith

• Haha 2