It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

The Tamiya Skyray is a beautiful little kit, but in my opinion the stickers are, well, I can't say it lest I get banned. Suffice to say you'll want an aftermarket sheet.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Good to see you safely home Giorgio and that you had such a great trip. :nodding:

Canonical work on the err..cannon and that Pave-P-Pod. I thought here:

5 hours ago, giemme said:

dav

- that you had learned wizard-like to bend the fabric of space-time.

All hail the Vortex Master! :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

It looks like you had a great time out there mate.

And how can not refuse your daughters request to build a kit for her.

Those bits for the Hog are taking shape very nicely.

Welcome back mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ah, the trials and tribulations of having young children! How, indeed, can you refuse? Let's hope she's still just as enthusiastic when she marries a modeler!

Ian

:rofl: Let's hope so! Or maybe she'll be the modeller and the husband not ... :hmmm:

:rofl:

6 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Hi Giorgio,

first of all, welcome back and good to read that you had a fantastic time in California. I was in the northern part of California in 1999, also in San Francisco. I could also visit an old aircraft carrier there in Alameda (next to Oakland). It was the USS Hornet. So I know about all these impressions.

Also, as always, very cool progress pics! The A-10 looks nicer every time. I see, you managed to assemble the fiddly Gatling Gun :D Well done!

Best Regards,

Ramon

Thanks Ramon, the visit to the USS Midway was impressive.

And yes, the Gatling Gun is fiddly, even more so if you try to align the front and back holes with any kind of device/rod :frantic:

I ended up eyeballing them and quickly dropping some CA on the central rod mount, back side

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Welcome back G, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we missed your updates.

Good work on the Pave Penny which must be pretty small in 1/72.

John

Thanks John, much appreciated :thumbsup: The Pave Penny isn't that small, after all. The fiddly part would be to glue the clear PET cover in place ... :hmmm:

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad you're back at the A-10 (and soon to be Skyray) Giorgio, and glad you had a wonderful time in California!

Cheers Cookie, glad to be able to talk to you while there! :thumbsup:

I feel a lot of anticipation already for the Skyray kit - in fact I already checked twice the sprues (two, and not many pieces, which is a bonus sometimes :wink:)

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Welcome back G, glad you all had a great time, and I can't wait to see the Skyray built - is your daughter going to help you? Mine insisted she wanted to build a model with me when she was about 5 - so we built a Premiere Tucano together which she then painted with pink & lime green poster paint! Unfortunately that was her first and last model as horses then became her number 1 interest. And people say modelling is expensive!!

Nice update to get you back into the swing with the Hog!

Keith

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup: Horses are definitely more expensive! :frantic: My youngest  tried that too, but we were able to convince her that volleyball was enough...

She's not going to help me in the kit building, though: she specifically asked me to build it as a memory of this family trip. I must add that at the Air and Space Museum gift shop I bought her a balsa glider (a very basic toy), and we've been enjoying flying it together since we got home

45 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The Tamiya Skyray is a beautiful little kit, but in my opinion the stickers are, well, I can't say it lest I get banned. Suffice to say you'll want an aftermarket sheet.

Cheers,

Bill

No problem Bill, I hate stickers in general :badmood:So i'm planning to cut my own masks as much as possible :wink:

BTW, I won't be doing the boxart scheme, but one of the Marines proposed schemes

28 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Good to see you safely home Giorgio and that you had such a great trip. :nodding:

Canonical work on the err..cannon and that Pave-P-Pod. I thought here:

- that you had learned wizard-like to bend the fabric of space-time.

All hail the Vortex Master! :worthy:

Thank you, Tony :thumbsup: Been watching "Interstellar" as of late? :rofl:

2 minutes ago, massimo said:

Welcome back Giorgio!

Looks like you've had a great Holiday in the States!

And you've come back..."alla grande"!!!

Very nice improvement, as usual!!!

Look forward to seeing those clear parts in place!

Cheers Massino, thanks :thumbsup:

Looking forward to that myself ... :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 6

Hello Giorgio !!

Look like a great trip, and you get on a carrier....:Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

Congrats my friend I'm very glad for you, then your daughter seem to have a great taste in choosing aircraft's kits !!

Great job on the hog too, I'll save it for my build...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gene K said:

Nice "Hero" shot with the Phantom - excellent pose!:idea:

Is it? 😄 Reminds me of something I saw ... :hmmm: 😉 :rofl:

8 hours ago, Gene K said:

I'm excited about your balsa glider since that's the first step to radio control flying!!!:penguin:

:rofl: I knew you would be ... :rofl:

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Welcome back Girogrio and pleased you had a good time :) 

Brilliant work on the PAVE PENNY pod - impressive!

Cheers Ced, thank you! :thumbsup:  The PAVE PENNY isn't finished yet, though - there's still room for c..k ups ... :frantic:

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !!

Look like a great trip, and you get on a carrier....:Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

Congrats my friend I'm very glad for you, then your daughter seem to have a great taste in choosing aircraft's kits !!

Great job on the hog too, I'll save it for my build...

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC, thank you! :thumbsup:  The carrier visit was impressing; BTW, I have a few shots of Corsairs from there, the Air and Space Museum and the Flying Leathernecks - I'll post them during the week, just to make your mouth water a little ... :devil:  :whistle:  :smile:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi everybody, a bit more progress to show today (hols did definitely good to modelling mojo 😉)

Completing the PAVE PENNY pod: I punched out a small disc from champagne bottle foil, as you do 😄

dav

cut in half and added to the front (both sides) to reproduce some detail

dav

dav

Clear cover glued in using Tamiya Gloss Clear X22, the rest of the pod was weathered with some dry-brushing and a dark tempera wash (and a final flat clear coat)

dav

dav

Then, as mentioned in an earlier post, I had to do some remedial work on one of the bombs

dav

and one of the Mavericks

dav

Easy stuff, then I decided to go black for most of the various bits and bobs, so I airbrushed them with Italeri Flat Black thinned with water and IPA

dav

dav

dav

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Lovely PAVE Giorgio :) 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

+ 1

John

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

Yeah + another

Brilliant stuff G-man

🎆🎇🎊🎉🎆

Thanks guys, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

A little late but welcome back G.

great work on the Hog! That nose gun looks amazing. 🤩

Johnny.

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup: Glad you like it, and yes, Master did a great job with that nose gun.

Time for a WE progress report: there's been a lot of painting.

Pitot first: brush painted

dav

Pylons: airbrushed in the relevant camo colors, with a final Future protective coat

dav

Bombs airbrushed Tamiya Olive Drab, and off-white (Flat White+Sky Grey) and then white for the bands. The yellow is Lifecolor, brush painted. The Future coat turned them into a very dark color; I hope the flat coats sets them back to a lighter shade, otherwise I'll have to do some more painting on them

dav

Mavericks and Sidewinders: same sequence for the white as above, first with a mix of Tamiya Sky Grey and Flat White, then pure Flat White

dav

And after all this painting ... decalling has started! :frantic: :frantic:

I started from the shark mouth, because I knew it would be the hardest part of this task - and I was right :wall:

dav

Still some persuasion and a bit of touch up to do here

dav

More touch up here

dav

You've probably noticed that I managed to cut of one of the bulb sensors while trying to "shave" the decal. :chair: I was luckily able to recover the missing part, and glue it back in place

dav

Needs repainting, but I'll do that once finished with the decals. I left it overnight with a good amount of decal setting solution for the bottom black part, as it had to conform to a quite complex geometry.

Tonight I'll take care of the rest, then it should all be downhill :fingerscrossed:

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 13

All looks OK from here Giemme.

The Bombs look dark, but hopefully , as you said the flat varnish will lighten the a shade.

Decals, a battle going on there but you should breeze it mate.

Nice save on the nose light too, often those parts disappear faster than the last slice of pizza LOL.

Simon.

• Haha 2

Sharkmouths? Have 'em... you've done a good job though Giorgio and I'm sure the touch ups will sort the little problems :) 

Nice work on the 'attachments' and, like John, I like the dents!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice teeth!

I forgot to mention earlier that I could now see the dents on the nose. Very convincing

John

Glad you like them, John. :thumbsup: The dents should hopefully show up a bit more with some weathering

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looks OK from here Giemme.

The Bombs look dark, but hopefully , as you said the flat varnish will lighten the a shade.

Decals, a battle going on there but you should breeze it mate.

Nice save on the nose light too, often those parts disappear faster than the last slice of pizza LOL.

Simon.

:rofl: True, but this time I got lucky :phew: 

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Sharkmouths? Have 'em... you've done a good job though Giorgio and I'm sure the touch ups will sort the little problems :) 

Nice work on the 'attachments' and, like John, I like the dents!

Touch ups done, easier than I thought. Ni pic yet, I'll post some tomorrow showing more decal progress ... :frantic: 

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ssmmiillee! 😁

:rofl:  :rofl: 

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yeh you need to do some filling there G.....!! :whistle: :winkgrin: :clown:

Nice Monday update!

K

You bad boy! :rofl:  :rofl: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, massimo said:

She reminds me ....my wife Tesoro!!!!

:rofl:  Wait: are you sure she doesn't read here? :frantic:  :rofl: 

4 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Very cool Giorgio, I like the 'boom dents' especially.

Cheers Cookie, thanks :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. I've just been catching up with your progress since your hols. Glad you had a good time. Excellent progress with the Hog! Your attention to even the smallest details always amazes me. Looks great with it's teeth too! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1