It's a HOG! 1/72 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II - Completed! Pg.32

giemme

On 19/07/2018 at 16:25, keefr22 said:

California? Wow, how the other half lives!! :)

Have a wonderful holiday Giorgio, I'm not jealous, no not in the slightest...!! :D

Keith

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Seconded! Have a great time Giorgio :) 

21 hours ago, Sting67 said:

California, nice!

Also I wish you an awesome holiday. There's a lot to see there in Cali.

Enjoy it! 👍

Ramon

Keith, Ced and Ramon: thank you, guys :thumbsup: I promise I'll try to have fun ... :coolio: 😄

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Take some warm clothes, it's probably colder than Italy!

Have a good holiday.

John

:rofl: San Francisco it's likely going to be colder, not sure about the other places I'm visiting .... Thanks anyway :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Hopefully I'll see you somewhere along the way Giorgio!

I surely hope so, Cookie :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Enjoy Ca. Giorgio.

I've heard it's not actually part of Planet Earth at all.

Come back safe mate.

Thanks Tony :thumbsup: It's part of planet Hollywood, I guess? :oops:Can I actually say that? :rofl:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hey Giemme, have a great time out there mat.

Simon and Rose.

Thank you guys! :thumbsup:. :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 25/07/2018 at 07:38, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have fun out there fella!  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge, I'm actually having a lot of fun in LA right now :cool:

Ciao

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just caught up G.

The load out looks amazing! Really brings the whole thing to life.  Hope you’re having fun away. 😎

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Absolutely having fun, although in a very cold San Francisco, at the moment :cold: 😄

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

although in a very cold San Francisco, at the moment :cold: 😄

You lucky thing! Enjoy your vacation. Northern Italy is also very hot with the triple heat like here in Germany at the moment. Cheers

Edit:

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

The only thing I could understand from that video is "sechs und dreizig"... :rofl:

Oh Giorgio, something like... 36 degree and it it's getting hotter. Never put the volume down on that beat ...and so on and all that  girls and boys are interested in at that temperatures So easy listening, I guess. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are still having a great time on your holiday. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, I am actually! :thumbsup: Today San Francisco was even kinda hot, wit the temeperature reaching 19 centigrades, sunny and almost no wind :coolio:

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh Giorgio, something like... 36 degree and it it's getting hotter. Never put the volume down on that beat ...and so on and all that  girls and boys are interested in at that temperatures So easy listening, I guess. Cheers

:rofl: Got it Benedikt, thanks :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody, I'm back! :winkgrin:

I actually got back home ten days ago, but I had some trouble with an e-mail server, then my home PC, etc - so here I am now posting a report after my hols in California.

I had a wonderful time there and, while in San Diego, I also had the chance to visit the Air and Space Museum, the USS Midway Museum and the Flying Leathernecks Museum - many thanks to @Cookenbacher for pointing me to the latter, it's just outside Miramar and it's a terrific small Marine Aviation museum, totally worth the visit! :thumbsup:

Here are a couple of "hero shots", one from the USS Midway:

F4

and another one from The Flying Leathernecks:

dav

The gift shop at Flying Leathernecks had some Tamiya kits for sale, and my youngest daughter (she's 9) was so happy about this visit that she insisted on me buying at least one, so we walked out with this:

dav

which is an aircraft on display there. She asked me to build this as soon as I finish the A-10; am I supposed to turn down a cute 9-years-old little girl? Of course not! 😄

Anyway, some real progress to show too: preparing the last few bits to be primed and painted, among which the cannon

dav

A quick dry fit showed I needed to shave off its back a bit to allocate it deep enough

dav

I now have all to main struts bits ready for priming too

dav

the pylons

dav

the ordnance/pods

dav

and the Master bras pitot tube.

Speaking of pods, I wasn't very happy with the PAVE PENNY pod, which is supposed to have a clear front cover

dav

so I sawed it off

dav

glued the round bit on top of a cocktail stick

dav

and used it to plounge mould a clear PET replacement

dav

The two attempts are of different thickness, and I ended up selecting the thinner one

Then I selected a suitable brass pipe

dav

and used it to reproduce some sort of "internals"

dav

I'll have to do some touch ups to the dark grey coat, then I can gloss coat, weather and glue the transparent cover in.

Meanwhile I also primed the various bits I showed above, and some remedial work is needed. Next time for that, though.

Comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 19

Ah, the trials and tribulations of having young children! How, indeed, can you refuse? Let's hope she's still just as enthusiastic when she marries a modeler!

Ian

• Haha 1

Hi Giorgio,

first of all, welcome back and good to read that you had a fantastic time in California. I was in the northern part of California in 1999, also in San Francisco. I could also visit an old aircraft carrier there in Alameda (next to Oakland). It was the USS Hornet. So I know about all these impressions.

Also, as always, very cool progress pics! The A-10 looks nicer every time. I see, you managed to assemble the fiddly Gatling Gun :D Well done!

Best Regards,

Ramon

• Thanks 1

Welcome back G, glad you all had a great time, and I can't wait to see the Skyray built - is your daughter going to help you? Mine insisted she wanted to build a model with me when she was about 5 - so we built a Premiere Tucano together which she then painted with pink & lime green poster paint! Unfortunately that was her first and last model as horses then became her number 1 interest. And people say modelling is expensive!!

Nice update to get you back into the swing with the Hog!

Keith

• Thanks 1