Airfix 1:48 Canberra conversion

twp1

I have the Airfix 1:48 Canberra B2/B20 (A10101) kit but am wanting to convert it to something different. I have seen that Alleycat produce a conversaton kit to make a T.17 varient.  Does this conversion kit fit with the Airfix model & if So, any advice on what needs to be done or to look out for when carrying this out.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twp1 said:

I have the Airfix 1:48 Canberra B2/B20 (A10101) kit but am wanting to convert it to something different. I have seen that Alleycat produce a conversaton kit to make a T.17 varient.  Does this conversion kit fit with the Airfix model & if So, any advice on what needs to be done or to look out for when carrying this out.

Thanks

Hi @twp1 

The Alleycat T.17 is a good straightforward conversion, the only tricky part would be the replacement canopy area I don't know how experienced you are but unless you have a few hours under you belt I'd skip that part, I did! They do other conversions for the Canberra, T.22, PR.3/7 SC.9 and I think they did a batch of radar noses? 

If you like the Canberra you may want to take a look at my site IPMS UK Canberra SIG 

These are some of my 1/48 Canberra's using Alleycat bits, not always as intended thought. :) 

T.17

oL3j7W.jpg

SC.9 I had to modify the lumps on the nose to represent the first configuration but it all fitted fine

pB7cZA.jpg

And the radarf nose from the T.22 on B.2 mod, WV787

pB7aNf.jpg

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I used the kit and Alleycat conversions to produce a T.17 and a PR.7 over the Christmas holiday period just after they were released and found them very easy to use and any issues were purely down to my decision to rush the fuselage cuts sitting an an armchair with the relevant parts on a tray on my knees while watching television which I would not recommend for accuracy although the instructions and measurements provided were themselves perfect.     

I vaguely recall that there was something about shortening the Camera Bay doors on the PR.7 that wasn't too clear in my instructions but I passed my research on to Alistair at the time and this might have changed later.     However both conversions that I had and from what I have heard about those for the other Canberra variants that Alleycat produced were excellent especially when more care was taken with the fuselage cuts than I took.

I had some photos on here of both completed models at one point but they vanished when Photobucket changed their terms for photo-sharing and I have not got round to finding another service yet.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 6:43 PM, canberra kid said:

Hi @twp1 

The Alleycat T.17 is a good straightforward conversion, the only tricky part would be the replacement canopy area I don't know how experienced you are but unless you have a few hours under you belt I'd skip that part, I did! They do other conversions for the Canberra, T.22, PR.3/7 SC.9 and I think they did a batch of radar noses? 

If you like the Canberra you may want to take a look at my site IPMS UK Canberra SIG 

These are some of my 1/48 Canberra's using Alleycat bits, not always as intended thought. :) 

T.17

oL3j7W.jpg

SC.9 I had to modify the lumps on the nose to represent the first configuration but it all fitted fine

pB7cZA.jpg

pB7aNf.jpg

John

Thanks john.  

All ordered now so fingers crossed I can get it to fit.  First time I've tried anything like this so was going to tactically ignore the canopy.  I have to admit, and I'm sure every purist will hate me for saying, but I can't see what the difference is between the 2.  Could you shed some light?  If it's a major difference I might hack away.

Did try and look at the sig but it wouldn't load.  Interest in the Canberra is limited but am bored of modelling bog standard kits so was after something a bit more interesting.  I was really after a PR.9 kit but I had more chance of finding hens teeth.  I think a T.17 is a good replacement and certainly an interesting aircraft.

Thanks for your help. 

I don't think you will have any problems, other than the SC.9 the T.17 would be one of the more straightforward conversion, and as Des says the instructions are good and clear. As for the canopy, for me I don't think from the ones I've seen there is any big improvement over the kit. There isn't one canopy that is right, I did start to look into the issue here The anatomy of the B.2 canopy did you try to access the site via your phone? if so it takes a long time to load but it does. If it's a variety of airframe mod's you're after you couldn't do better than a Canberra! 

John   

On 1/10/2018 at 12:43 PM, canberra kid said:

Hi @twp1 

pB7aNf.jpg

John

What's the story on the crop sprayer/rainmaker mod? ^_^

Is it black overall, or just the top?

Fantastic work! :worthy:

Larry

Thanks Larry @ReccePhreak

WV787 like many of her sisters spent her entire flying life in R&D originally part of a contract for PR.3 Canberra's she was changed on the production line to B.2 standard and delivered to Armstrong Whitworth for Sapphire engine development, later she was re-allocated to Ferranti in Edinburgh for Blue Parrot radar trialsils for the new Blackburn Buccaneer. Boulton Paul were chosen to carry out the necessary modification work, this involved the removal of her B.2 nose to be replaced with that of a B(I)8 and the Blue Parrot radar. Some time in the mid 1960's the A&AEE Boscombe Down were looking at a way of testing new aircraft types in icing conditions in the air, they proposed the use of a modified Canberra with a rig which could produce an ice cloud, the Canberra chosen was WV787. She was off again, back to BP for more work, this involved the fitting of a water tank in the bomb bay and the water spray rig under the fuselage and smoke generator pipes under the engine nacelles. AS well as the Icing work WV787 was also engaged in simulated Chemical and Biological warfare trials. She survived the scrap man's axe and the Battle Damage Repair flight at RAF Abingdon and now enjoys a happy retirement at Newark Air Museum Newark A M   I forgot to add a link to the Build here on BM Canberra B.2/8 mod WV787

prxczb.jpg

prxSuX.jpg

prxgWf.jpg

prxul6.jpg

prxAMp.jpg

John    

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite being terminally ham-fisted I've not had any trouble getting the Alley Cat canopy correction installed; for once I just followed the instructions and job done!

My daughter and I were lucky enough to be given the opportunity to sit in '787's pilot's seat a few years ago: we didn't need to be given the offer twice!  I found it an amazing experience to be sitting n a piece of research and development history that was so nearly lost forever.  My admiration for the B(I)8 navigators  who had to fly without the benefit of Martin Baker's finest for those "In emergency pull handle" moments , only increased having also tried both the take-off/landing and normal working seats.  I once read of an RAF Germany navigator who had to bail out after the ailerons jammed at full deflection at low level: his pilot flew a series of climbing barrel rolls to get up to an altitude to enable him to do so, for which the pilot received the AFC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2018 at 7:33 PM, twp1 said:

Thanks john.  

All ordered now so fingers crossed I can get it to fit.  First time I've tried anything like this so was going to tactically ignore the canopy.  I have to admit, and I'm sure every purist will hate me for saying, but I can't see what the difference is between the 2.  Could you shed some light?  If it's a major difference I might hack away.

Did try and look at the sig but it wouldn't load.  Interest in the Canberra is limited but am bored of modelling bog standard kits so was after something a bit more interesting.  I was really after a PR.9 kit but I had more chance of finding hens teeth.  I think a T.17 is a good replacement and certainly an interesting aircraft.

Thanks for your help. 

Hi, 

I'm pretty much at the painting stage with this beast.  Just wondered if you could let me know which red you used for the tail.

Regards

• Like 1