Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

Oh HAPPY DAYS!!! A "wide breather" aircraft LIDAR scanned....and a narrow breather model....will we see both in the kit...?? Oh Happy Days!!!

Which reminds me.....I must paint my CA F8 that I built a couple of years ago!!!

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

... their 1/72nd Swift is superb,( have you seen the panel lines on that? )

Funny thing, I had an Airfix Swift arrive in the post on the same day as another Sword Harrier T4. Looked at the Swift & thought, hmmm those panel lines are pretty good. Then opened the Harrier to check it's all there & saw & remembered what the panel lines were like on that. Airfix still have a little way to go....!!

But anyway, 1/48th Meteor F8. Good grief, how many of those will I need once Xtradecal get started....!!

Keith

Funny thing, I had an Airfix Swift arrive in the post on the same day as another Sword Harrier T4. Looked at the Swift & thought, hmmm those panel lines are pretty good. Then opened the Harrier to check it's all there & saw & remembered what the panel lines were like on that. Airfix still have a little way to go....!!

But anyway, 1/48th Meteor F8. Good grief, how many of those will I need once Xtradecal get started....!!

Keith

Indeed, but the Harrier kit's preceeded the Swift......proof that they are getting better with each subsequent issue... and I still have a few Xtradecal sheets left from previous issues...

Edited by Bill Clark

Well, that does look nice! Looks like Airfix are on the ball again, with the programme announced so far I think I'm going to have to put my retirement on hold indefintely, either that or use my lump sum just for new Airfix kits :)

SWEET!!!

The CAD images look like they have the panel lines superimposed on the model from line drawings and the image later on showing an open engine bay seems to have much subtler panel lines and is possibly a sterolith 3D model which will be closer to what we are going to get.

And £30 seems fair.

Well done Airfix. Another much needed model in the bag. If it does well 1/72 and other variants to follow no doubt.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai

1/48 is nice but 1/72 would have been nicer.

I suppose Airfix are thinking there is only the CA kits in 1/48 which are difficult to find, whereas there are the MPM/Xtrakits available in 1/72.

Robert

• Like 1

I built their NF11 at the same time and, apart from the slightly warped and banana shaped fuselage( that's resin for you, which I managed to straighten somehow!) thoroughly enjoyed the build. Whatever the scale, I'm sure it will reach and exceed those heady heights. The quality of tooling on each subsequent issue from Airfix gets better and better, that on their 1/72nd Swift is superb,( have you seen the panel lines on that? )as is that on their 1/48th Javelin. Either scale will do for me.......and I'm hoping for an F8 myself............

Hi Bill

Looks like you've been quite unlucky with your NF.11. As far as I am concerned I only tried once to rectify a wrapped resin part. Lot of fuss for a good direct result, but some times after the wrapped had come back. So,for resin kit I never buy a cat in a bag ! I check first and if I may not I say bye-bye and thanks to the shopkeeper and go to see elsewhere.When I buy on Internet I clearly specify my desiderata... and never had any problems.

I am also waiting for the Swift and wish you are right. The best panel work of Airfix has been on their 1/48 Spitfire Mk.22/24 from 1996. Sorry but she's never been beaten since. I won't talk about the 1/24 Typhoon who is a jewel on his own. Looks like it is not a matter of new or old technology, but rather the guy who is sitting behind !

Airfix-Hornby is going slowly to the top but I must say they are a little bit inconsistent in their quality politics. Look at the young DC-3 and compare her panel work with the still younger 1/48 Spitfire Mk.V or I. You see what I mean ?

Anyway at 65 I am still an Airfix aficionado and I wish them my bests. I can still remember that little MiG-15 flying over the Kremlin, in this plastic bag with the Airfix logo bigger than the Kremlin tower ! Ahhhhh, good old times.

Have a nice day.

It was nice to meet you.

Madcop

Hi Bill

Looks like you've been quite unlucky with your NF.11. As far as I am concerned I only tried once to rectify a wrapped resin part. Lot of fuss for a good direct result, but some times after the wrapped had come back. So,for resin kit I never buy a cat in a bag ! I check first and if I may not I say bye-bye and thanks to the shopkeeper and go to see elsewhere.When I buy on Internet I clearly specify my desiderata... and never had any problems.

I am also waiting for the Swift and wish you are right. The best panel work of Airfix has been on their 1/48 Spitfire Mk.22/24 from 1996. Sorry but she's never been beaten since. I won't talk about the 1/24 Typhoon who is a jewel on his own. Looks like it is not a matter of new or old technology, but rather the guy who is sitting behind !

Airfix-Hornby is going slowly to the top but I must say they are a little bit inconsistent in their quality politics. Look at the young DC-3 and compare her panel work with the still younger 1/48 Spitfire Mk.V or I. You see what I mean ?

Anyway at 65 I am still an Airfix aficionado and I wish them my bests. I can still remember that little MiG-15 flying over the Kremlin, in this plastic bag with the Airfix logo bigger than the Kremlin tower ! Ahhhhh, good old times.

Have a nice day.

It was nice to meet you.

Madcop

The NF11 build featured in an article in SAMI, so my problems and fix are well documented. The panel lines on this kit were actually quite excessive, which was acceptable then, given the medium used. CMR actually issued an F8 and PR9 they were nicely detailed.

If the panel lines on this are as good as those on the Javelin and Spitfire Vb/I in 1/48th I'll be a very happy bunny!!

Cheers

Bill

The best panel work of Airfix has been on their 1/48 Spitfire Mk.22/24 from 1996. Sorry but she's never been beaten since. I won't talk about the 1/24 Typhoon who is a jewel on his own. Looks like it is not a matter of new or old technology, but rather the guy who is sitting behind !

The 1/48 Mk.22/24 (as the Seafire 47 and the Lightnings) was tooled in Korea, a country where there's a long tradition of high quality moulding for plastic kits. Korean companies were also responsible for some of Revell's best kits and for other companies high quality kits. You're right that it's not a matter of old or new, it's just a matter of money: if the right price is available, it's possible to get a contract with the best to have the kits moulded, if the budget does not allow for this, then the second and third best are chosen.

Edited by Giorgio N

Well I suppose I could live with the disappointment of it being in 1/48th rather than 1/72nd - I guess I'll just have to settle for buying a crateful vs a container full :wicked:

Given that Airfix are releasing a 1/48th Defiant after releasing the 1/72nd scale kit we can only hope they do the same with the Meteor.

Don't worry Mr Airfix, I'll buy both!

Wez

This also makes me very happy! Especially as now anyone who wants a decent Meteor F8 wont have to pay over the odds for a Classic Airframes kit on e bay and then fight it al the way to finish line! I havent done that by the way, just saying.

James

• Like 1

I was privileged to be there at the scan and what an amazing piece of kit the LIDAR equipment is. To see it actually literally puzzling over the thickness of the painted markings was surreal. Make no mistake, this will be a superb kit! Just to add that Jet Age Museum is an excellent museum and the guys there were great.

The only problem with the scan is it's like watching paint dry. You can judge from the photo what the lead researcher did most of the time!! :pilot:

John

SDC11300_zpsvygrdpbf.jpg

• Like 5

I am over the moon with this one!! Cannot wait for it! Airfix is bankrupting me! Let's not moan too much about the panel lines until the thing has actually been released :lol: While I do agree in 1/48, the FR.46/47 and Mk.22/24 are still the best I have seen from Airfix, if the kit detail is of the standard of the new 1/48 Spit Mk I (and it will be) it's going to be an absolute knock-out. All they need to do now is start releasing their Harriers in 1/48, and retool their Vulcan, and I'm going to have to start selling parts of my house I don't use much, or non essential organs to cover the costs!!

• Like 1