Airfix 1/48 Meteor

Dave Fleming

Red Roo Models have re-released their 1/48th Meteor U.16/U.21 Drone Conversion set for the new Airfix kit - ref.RRR48137

Review in your favourite forum http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F235002053-gloster-meteor-u16u21-drone-conversion-set-148-red-roo-models%2F

Source: https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-148/gloster-meteor-u-mk1621-conversion-for-ca-f-mk-8-148/

drone1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Airfix is going to release an F1 version of this kit? I'd really like to do one since it was the first operational allied jet airplane. I know Tamiya makes one, but have read that it is grossly inaccurate. Plus, this Airfix kit looks really nice and detailed.

Does anyone know if Airfix is going to release an F1 version of this kit? I'd really like to do one since it was the first operational allied jet airplane. I know Tamiya makes one, but have read that it is grossly inaccurate. Plus, this Airfix kit looks really nice and detailed.

Sorry, but no plans, as far as I know

It's too different from the F8, to make it anything other than a totally new kit

Jonners

The original issue of the Tamiya kit was based on the Cosford example, faithfully copying the F3 wings with which it was fitted. So the one glaring innacuracy is that it has airbrakes, inappropriate to an F.I And AFAIK that's your lot. Later reissues come with the correct wing.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

The original issue of the Tamiya kit was based on the Cosford example, faithfully copying the F3 wings with which it was fitted. So the one glaring innacuracy is that it has airbrakes, inappropriate to an F.I And AFAIK that's your lot. Later reissues come with the correct wing.

Paul.

That was good for me though because I got an Aeroclub vac F3 canopy and made a nice F3. Later on, Tamiya released their own F3 version. Such is life!

• Like 1

where did you read this?

AFAIK the kit is accurate, and the usual Tamiya quality apart from the very first issue of the F.1 with the wrong wing with airbrakes.

What you maybe thinking of is the dual set of the Meteor and V.1, the Tamiya V.1 is inaccurate shape wise.

where did you read this?

AFAIK the kit is accurate, and the usual Tamiya quality apart from the very first issue of the F.1 with the wrong wing with airbrakes.

What you maybe thinking of is the dual set of the Meteor and V.1, the Tamiya V.1 is inaccurate shape wise.

Troy is correct. What you may have heard were the tales, related again earlier in this thread, of Tamiya inadvertently using the prototype DG202 which had many F3 modifications added during development, including wing speed brakes. Tamiya made a good job but it wasn't an F1 they modelled. Later they got their act together and corrected the kit to true F1 status and produced an F3 as a follow up, both kits being around together for a while.

Regrettably, the second hand market will still turn up correct and incorrect F1 kits from stashes. As far as I know the boxes are the same (I'm open to correction here) and inspection of the wings is the only way to tell which issue of the kit you have in front of you.

To reiterate, the kit builds superbly and I used no filler at all on either of mine. The F3 was an early F1 which I modded to an F3 and the second was a later edition 'true' F1. Both kits built in around 15 years ago now.

Meteors%2048th%20001_zpsvdybdxfs.jpg

Meteors%2048th%20002_zpsirtvvepk.jpg

Meteors%2048th%20003_zpshlypeqzu.jpg

Sorry about the poor photos, I'm no photographer unfortunately.

Nige B

• Like 3

Wonder if one could reasonably easily cross-kit the Tamiya F3 fuselage with the Airfix F8 wings - you could say making 3 + 8 = 4 ...

Of course, there would be other subtle differences - the 4 was pressurised where the 3 was not I believe - but should be relatively easily do-able provided the kit designs, particularly the wing-fuselage joints, are fairly compatible

Wonder if one could reasonably easily cross-kit the Tamiya F3 fuselage with the Airfix F8 wings - you could say making 3 + 8 = 4 ...

Of course, there would be other subtle differences - the 4 was pressurised where the 3 was not I believe - but should be relatively easily do-able provided the kit designs, particularly the wing-fuselage joints, are fairly compatible

Indeed you can Mike. Actually, Heritage Models market/marketed a resin F4 wing conversion to enable this very conversion:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/206324-heritage-aviation-models-meteor-f4-conversion-wing-set

Regarding my prev post referring to original F1 kits with the incorrect wing. It was but a mere bagatelle to slip a bit of putty over the airbrake location to correct their error, no great hardship at all really for anyone unlucky enough to turn up an early issue in a purchase.

I have an idea that there might have been an aileron hinge/aerodynamic balance issue too but I might be thinking of the old Airfix F3 which had F1 ailerons. So many kits, so many years!

Nige B

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That looks great, tip me to buying the F.8 kit now.Ā 

Whole new tail assembly seems a little extravagant (in a nice way), were there other differences apart from the upper/lower fillets toĀ the bullet fairing?

Ā 

HopefullyĀ new FR.9 andĀ U.16 conversionS will roll along soon.

Edited by 71chally

• 1 month later...

new boxing expected in Q2 2017 - 1/48th Gloster Meteor F8, Korean War -Ā  ref. Ā A09184

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/gloster-meteor-f8-korean-war-1-48.html

• Scheme A -Ā Meteor F8 A77-851 flown Sergeant George Spaulding Hale, No.77 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force,Ā Kimpo, Korea, March 1953.
  • Scheme B -Ā Meteor F8 Aircraft A77-854, No.77 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, Kimpo, Korea, 1953.
  • Scheme C - Meteor F8 No.327 Squadron, Ruiten Vierā€ (Diamonds Four) display team, Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Royal Netherlands Air Force),Ā Commando Lucht Verdediging (Air Defense Command), Soesterberg Air Base, The Netherlands, 1952.

Gloster Meteor F8, Korean War 1:48Ā Ā  Gloster Meteor F8, Korean War 1:48Ā  a09184.2.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

Ā 

• Like 2

As the nose windows are already in the kit I presume the FR9 will be the 2018 release.

With the numerous schemes carried by the Meteor F8 we could have a 2018 Meteor scheme thread running alongside the 2018 kit wants thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fresh news.

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/mustang-and-meteor-make-tracks/

Ā 

The Meteor Goes to War

Ā 

WB41-ImageGEvocative box artwork that will accompany the new 1/48thĀ scale Gloster Meteor F.8 Korean War release

Ā 

As Britainā€™s first jet fighter and the only Allied jet aircraft to see service during WWII, the Gloster Meteor commands a position of prominence in the history of British aviation and marks the transition from piston to jet powered flight.Ā  It also became a successful export aircraft for Britain and allowed many of the worldā€™s air forces to re-equip with this new technology relatively cheaply.Ā  It was a stable and predictable aircraft to fly and in many ways was the ideal aircraft in which to introduce pilots used to flying the latest piston powered aircraft to the new jet technology that was revolutionising aviation in the years following the end of the Second World War.

Although the final months of WWII saw British and German jets operating on the European mainland for the first time, a much anticipated jet powered fighter versus fighter engagement never actually took place and it would not be until the Korean War that the first jet on jet aerial victory was claimed.Ā  Although the Gloster Meteor would be involved in this conflict, the pace of aviation development in the early years of jet power was astonishing and the new MiG-15 fighters they would come up against held a distinct technological advantage, particularly when engaged in a turning dogfight.Ā  Nevertheless, Meteors of the Royal Australian Air Force scored some significant victories and proved to be a reliable and hard working platform throughout the conflict.

Ā 

WB41-ImageGAComputer rendered CAD image of the Korean War Meteor F.8

Ā 

When the new Airfix 1/48thĀ scale Gloster Meteor F.8 was released last year, it quickly became one of the most popular models in the range, with many modellers having to wait until the second consignment before getting their hands on one.Ā  The schemes included with this first release marked two aircraft that saw service with the Royal Air Force, in what many regard as the definitive version of the Meteor, but fans of this beautiful aircraft will have noticed the recent 2017 range announcement included a second release from this tooling, which includes additional parts and has a much more international flavour.Ā  We are pleased to bring you details of this new kit (A09184) and an exclusive first look at the additional parts included and the scheme options available.

Ā 

WB41-ImageHTest frame image showing the additional parts for the Korean War Meteors

Ā 

As with the Mustang test frame images we showed earlier, we apologise for the quality of the images included in this edition and we will update them in the near future, but they do allow us all to see the new parts that will be included with this new kit, allowing modellers to produce some distinctive (and rather colourful) Meteors in service with overseas air arms.

Ā 

WB41-ImageJProfile of Gloster Meteor F.8 A77-851 ā€˜HALESTORMā€™

Ā 

WB41-ImageK

Gloster Meteor F.8 A77-851 ā€˜HALESTORMā€™, Flown by Sgt. George Spaulding Hale, No.77 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force, Kimpo, Korea, March 1953.

Ā 

This aircraft is perhaps one of the most famous schemes applied to a Gloster Meteor and one of the few aircraft that can claim to be a MiG killer.Ā  George Hale was already an accomplished pilot when he was assigned to No.77 Squadron during the Korean War and flown from Australia to Iwakuni Air Base in Japan to begin conversion to the Gloster Meteor F.8.Ā  Once there, he spent just 14 days learning to fly the Meteor in a number of operational scenarios, including mock dogfights, formation flying, live rocketry practice and ground attack missions.Ā  Passed for operational service, he flew from Japan to Seoul, Korea on 13thĀ December 1952, where he joined the rest of No.77 Squadron at their base at Kimpo, flying his first operational mission the following day.

His most notable day occurred on 27thĀ March 1953 when he and another Meteor pilot were flying an armed road reconnaissance patrol in contested airspace over Korea.Ā  They spotted a pair of MiG-15 fighters (which are reported in many sources as chasing a pair of USAF F-80 ā€˜Shooting Starsā€™) and immediately engaged, only to be attacked themselves by a second pair of enemy jets.Ā  The second Meteor was hit by cannon fire and broke off the engagement, leaving Hale to take on multiple MiGs by himself.Ā  Firing on the lead MiG, Hale saw the aircraft roll onto its back and head earthwards, emitting dense black smoke from its fuselage, but then a third pair of MiGs joined the melee.Ā  Hale again fired on the lead aircraft of this third pair, scoring hits and seeing thick white smoke or fuel vapour coming from the fighter, as it also rolled onto its back and headed towards the ground.Ā  Hale continued to combat the MiGs until the ammunition in his aircraft was exhausted, at which time he broke off the engagement and headed for Kimpo airfield at low level and at speed.

Ā 

WB41-ImageKAComputer rendered image showing the rockets used on RAAF Meteors

Ā 

In the aftermath of this incident, Sergeant George Hale was credited with one MiG probably destroyed and one badly damaged.Ā  His assigned aircraft A77-851 ā€˜Halestormā€™ carried two MiG kill markings for a short time and has become one of the most famous aircraft to see service with the Royal Australian Air Force, as well as one of the most significant Meteors.Ā  There are some famous pictures that show ā€˜Halestormā€™ back at Kimpo following this combat, where the crew chief has used his finger to write ā€˜MiG KILLERā€™ in the black gun soot under the ā€˜Halestormā€™ artwork and obviously before the two MiG kill markings were added.Ā  Unfortunately, the two MiG kill marking were ordered to be removed from the aircraft by the units commanding officer, but this is still a remarkable story in the service career of this famous aircraft.

Ā 

WB41-ImageLProfile of Gloster Meteor F.8 A77-854 ā€˜The Geelong Flyerā€™

Ā 

WB41-ImageM

Gloster Meteor F.8 A77-854 ā€˜The Geelong Flyerā€™, No.77 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force, Kimpo, Korea, 1953.

Ā 

Although perhaps not as famous as ā€˜Halestormā€™, this second scheme again features attractive nose artwork and helps to tell this important story in the history of the Gloster Meteor and a glorious chapter in the annals of the Royal Australian Air Force.Ā  Despite coming up against the superior dogfighting abilities of the new MiG-15, the Meteors of No.77 Squadron RAAF made a huge contribution to the war effort and took a heavy toll of enemy infrastructure.Ā  During the three years of the Korean War, No.77 Squadron flew an astonishing 18,872 sorties, first with their ageing North American Mustangs and then with the Gloster Meteor.Ā  By the end of the war, the RAAF Meteors had flown 4,836 missions, destroying 3,700 buildings, 1,500 vehicles and numerous bridges, locomotives and railway carriages in the process.Ā  They also accounted for at least six enemy MiG-15 fighters, but these achievements came at a heavy cost, with thirty-two Meteors destroyed, many of which also claimed the lives of their pilots.

Ā 

WB41-ImageNProfile of Fokker built Gloster Meteor F.8 7E-5 ā€˜Diamonds Fourā€™

Ā 

WB41-ImageO

Gloster Meteor F.8 (Fokker built) 7E-5, No.327 Squadron Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Royal Netherlands Air Force) ā€˜Ruiten Vierā€™ (Diamonds Four) display team, Commando Lucht Verdediging (Air Defence Command), Soesterberg Air Base, Netherlands 1952.

Ā 

Making an extremely colourful scheme option for the new kit, this Meteor F.8 wears the distinctive markings of the Royal Netherlands Air Force Aerobatic Display Team ā€˜Ruiten Vierā€™, or Diamonds Four and will surely be a popular choice with modellers looking to brighten up their workstations.Ā  In early 1952, the RNLAF decided to form an aerobatic display team consisting of four Gloster Meteor F.8 fighters from No.327 Squadron at Soesterberg Air Base, under the leadership of Major J. Wansink.Ā  The team performed their first official display on 1st August 1952 at an Airshow at their home base and looking at this attractive scheme, it must have made for quite a spectacle.

In 1953, the Royal Netherlands Air Force split from the remaining Dutch Defence Forces, with the year also marking the 40th Anniversary of the formation of the air force section of the Dutch Army.Ā  To mark this occasion, the Air Force arranged a special Airshow at Soesterberg Air Base and invited some of the worldā€™s premier aerobatic display teams to take part.Ā  Obviously a proud moment for the Air Force, the display teams battled for a special commemorative trophy for the best display of the show and despite some famous competition, the Meteors of ā€˜Ruiten Vierā€™ emerged victorious.

In 1955, Major Wansink, who was the driving force behind the team, was posted away from Soesterberg and the Diamonds Four aerobatic display team disbanded. During almost three years of their existence, the team used Meteors 7E-5, 7E-11, 7E-13 and 7E-14, with 7E-8 acting as a reserve aircraft.Ā  Although Aerobatic Teams are not to every aviation enthusiasts liking, this team brought an appealing splash of colour to the Gloster Meteor airframe and marks one of the more unusual European schemes.Ā  A09184 is currently scheduled for a summer 2017 release and is available for pre-order on the Airfix website now.

Ā 

V.P.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, Homebee said:

I do like to see my name on such things but mention of the museum may have been better.

I've become a bit more touchy about such things since I had to ditch

one major aftermarket player for using us as a personal reference library.

Edited by NAVY870

• 1 month later...
On 03/07/2016 at 10:08 AM, MikeC said:

Question is what to do with the F8 fuselage, otherwise it makesĀ a pretty expensive F4?